Page 12 of 14 [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 8:57 am

Sand wrote:

In his whole history of submissions ruveyn has repeatedly advocated using atomic bombs on all Muslim nations as a quick clean way to rid the world of an inherently vicious religion. As much as I dislike religion in general I could not succumb to that type of totally stupid viciousness nor do I even marginally contemplate it might be effective. The long effort of the very powerful US military in Iraq and Afghanistan has, if anything, strengthened Al Qaeda and evoked huge disgust in the world at a crippled giant viciously attempting to blast its way into the good will of the world by destruction and murder of the very peoples it claims to be freeing and bringing into democratic freedom. Ruveyn has spent his life as a technocrat in the defense industry and it seems to me his enthusiasm for those types of methods is beyond all considerate reason.

People doing what I did made it possible for you to transmit your screeds in English and not Russian. And I did not spend my entire life as a technocrat. I spent less than ten years at it, but I was good at it. I would rather prove theorems than drop nukes, but the Bad Guys of the world make it difficult to pursue the paths of peace.

Given a choice between inventing the Neutron Bomb and proving the Collatz Conjecture I would far rather prove the Collatz Conjecture.

You might not believe this but until 08:10 on the morning of 9/11 I did not entertain a single genocidal thought toward the Muslim world. At most, they just annoyed me. By the end of 9/11/2001, if I had the Button to Push I would have pushed it without a doubt or a scruple. Wild and crazy Muslims came to My House to do wicked things and I dislike that intensely to say the least.

ruveyn

b9
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 10:18 am

Katharsistwo wrote:
Now what do you prefer on Ground zero: a mosque or a gay-bar?

they should build 2 110 storey commercial trade centers with a mosque style roof with the words "allah is great" written in gaudy neon lights on them.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 1:51 pm

Its a matter of sensitivity. When a (Danish) cartoonist drew Mohammed, Muslims brought London(?) to a standstill complaining that they had been offended, demanding that people not do things that offend them. Clearly many Christians find a mosque in close proximity to ground zero upsetting. Muslims should have the sensitivity to say "Ok, maybe we should be a bit more sensitive to the sensibilities of other people, then maybe everyone wont equate us to crazed beardy mentalists living in caves so much and perhaps think "hey, those muslim chaps are quite sensitive towards other people"".

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 1:55 pm

Katharsistwo wrote:
Now what do you prefer on Ground zero: a mosque or a gay-bar?

I prefer a gay mosque.

b9 wrote:
they should build 2 110 storey commercial trade centers with a mosque style roof with the words "allah is great" written in gaudy neon lights on them.

Yes, they should. And... Allah is great!

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 2:23 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Funny, I saw no delight in the statement you applied that to, and I saw nothing to indicate the poster wanting the ME radioactive and dead ... are we reading the same board? I'm don't feel it is appropriate to put words in someone else's mouth.

well, Sand is based on ruveyn's previous posts a part from this thread, such as this: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt134136.html

And revenge is delightful, isn't it?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 6:14 pm

Macbeth wrote:
Its a matter of sensitivity. When a (Danish) cartoonist drew Mohammed, Muslims brought London(?) to a standstill complaining that they had been offended, demanding that people not do things that offend them.

This says it so well.

Muslims are so pissy if you do ANYTHING that they consider offensive or fail to totally accommodate their cultural practices, but they show almost no tolerance for others.

I believe people are entitled to the tolerance and respect they show to others. The intolerant have no right demanding that people show tolerance to them.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 6:27 pm

You say that as if 'muslims' were some sort of monotypic group with no variation, that *all* muslims were rioting all over the world b/c of those Danish cartoons. This is not only false, it is specious. Muslims are just as diverse as xians are - you have everything from Phelps & co. to the Quakers.

There's a Sufi community in my area, and they're so peace-and-love that they make me seem like a monster by comparison.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 6:33 pm

Macbeth wrote:
Its a matter of sensitivity. When a (Danish) cartoonist drew Mohammed, Muslims brought London(?) to a standstill complaining that they had been offended, demanding that people not do things that offend them.

And they're wrong to do that, and I call them on it. Freedom is for everyone.

Also, in their very slight defense, the cartoons actually were offensive. I am 100% in support of the right of the cartoonist to draw and publish them, but they were intended as an insult. This community center is not.

Quote:
crazed beardy mentalists living in caves

You got a problem with beards? :P

just_ben
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2010, 6:34 pm

Beards are the greatest. I have nothing useful to add.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 7:10 pm

Orwell wrote:
Macbeth wrote:

And they're wrong to do that, and I call them on it. Freedom is for everyone.

Also, in their very slight defense, the cartoons actually were offensive. I am 100% in support of the right of the cartoonist to draw and publish them, but they were intended as an insult. This community center is not.

Quote:
crazed beardy mentalists living in caves

You got a problem with beards? :P

I quite enjoy beards, or at least my own.

My own major issue with the protestations of the muslims in London is that the cartoon was Danish. Perhaps complaining to Denmark would have been more appropriate?

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 7:28 pm

Macbeth wrote:
Perhaps complaining to Denmark would have been more appropriate?

How about the publication that published the cartoon or the specific artist who made it (never the country). As best as I understood it, his comic was supposed to be a commentary on the perceived violent nature of Muslims...and they respond with violent protests trying to repress his right to free speech.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 9:24 pm

There were several cartoons, and several cartoonists; however, at least one has received personal 'complaints' in the form of assasination attempts on both himself and his family.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 9:36 pm

It's Manhattan, there's one of just about everything within two blocks of ground zero. I was there, directly under it when the first plane hit. Debris from that plume of smoke fell into my courtyard and the stench choked me for months. One of my lungs has had a rattle from liquid in it ever since and one of my close friends died from exposure that led to lung cancer when she worked as a triage nurse. Still, they have a right to put their community center there (it's not a mosque proper, btw, which is my understanding).

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 10:35 pm

happymusic wrote:
It's Manhattan, there's one of just about everything within two blocks of ground zero. I was there, directly under it when the first plane hit. Debris from that plume of smoke fell into my courtyard and the stench choked me for months. One of my lungs has had a rattle from liquid in it ever since and one of my close friends died from exposure that led to lung cancer when she worked as a triage nurse. Still, they have a right to put their community center there (it's not a mosque proper, btw, which is my understanding).

Quiet, you damned liberal. People in other parts of the world know more about what's going on and are more sensitive about what happened in your back yard than you are.

/personally, I'd be livid if such a tragedy was used for political gain while simultaneously trying oppressing people's rights.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 11:13 pm

skafather84 wrote:
happymusic wrote:

Quiet, you damned liberal. People in other parts of the world know more about what's going on and are more sensitive about what happened in your back yard than you are.

/personally, I'd be livid if such a tragedy was used for political gain while simultaneously trying oppressing people's rights.

It has nothing to do with truth or justice or Constitutional rights. It is a handle for frightening people and politicians in general and Republicans specifically are quick to use fright to gain political power. The power of Hell in Christianity was always stronger than that of Heaven and if it is not Muslims it would be communists or blacks or Asians or Jews or atheists or whatever would take the public's mind off the monstrous policy screw-ups the establishment and government is making to rip the fundamental intellectual and cultural and economic wealth of the country to shreds. The public in general has exhibited very little comprehension of reality and these crude tools are always handy.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 6:47 am

skafather84 wrote:
happymusic wrote:

hahaha agh *hack* ugh! *cough cough cough* :lol: