Opening a new gym - with latest equipment

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

thomasdude
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Aug 2010, 10:19 am

I am professional engineer living in Toronto for 10 years. The best thing I have liked in this area is the awareness and commitment towards Fitness. People are so committed that they manage to get time for Gym in spite of their busy life. I have also been involved into fitness and go to Gym on regular basis for many years now and I have benefited a lot.

From the last few weeks I am considering to open my own health fitness. I am considering opening a good Fitness center/ Gym with the latest equipments/ facilities.Can someone guide me if I am right in my thinking and what people would expect from such a facility?

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Aug 2010, 12:43 pm

What does this new member's ad for gym memberships have to do with Asperger's????????

Charles

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 3:56 pm

thomasdude wrote:
what people would expect from such a facility?

I would expect to exercise at home, as I have a disorder that makes socializing and being in or around groups of people extremely uncomfortable. :?

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 12:32 pm

thomasdude wrote:
I am professional engineer living in Toronto for 10 years. The best thing I have liked in this area is the awareness and commitment towards Fitness. People are so committed that they manage to get time for Gym in spite of their busy life. I have also been involved into fitness and go to Gym on regular basis for many years now and I have benefited a lot.

From the last few weeks I am considering to open my own health fitness. I am considering opening a good Fitness center/ Gym with the latest equipments/ facilities.Can someone guide me if I am right in my thinking and what people would expect from such a facility?

Good equipment and enough of it would be paramount, and a clean environment. My friend runs her own small fitness studio - she employs a bunch of personal trainers and the workouts are all private - so her equipment is pretty much limited to one machine of each type but that keeps space requirements down and so rental costs for the building low as well as equipment costs low. Since there's only a couple of customers in the gym at a time, everyone can rotate from machine to machine under guidance of a trainer, so limited equipment works for her.

In any case, something like this if you are going to be doing the training yourself, you need to have some sort of training methodology that you'll use, and for the sake of credibility you'll need to get into great shape yourself and stay that way.

The other approach would be to go with a membership approach - trainers are available but people can come in and leave as they please. You can still do this is a fairly small gym but you'll need more equipment. My sister works as a personal trainer in another gym and while its not too large, most machines the owner has 3-4 of.

Assuming that you are on this board because you are an aspie, well, I think one thing that people expect from their trainer (if you are going to be doing any of the training yourself) is to be social with them, to converse with them during their workout etc. So maybe that wouldn't be a good profession for most AS folks. Especially in a smaller gym the place probably won't be profitable unless the owner does some of the training themselves.