Does anyone struggle with eating enough?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

NovaKnight
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Aug 2010, 4:07 pm

Does anyone else here struggle with eating enough? I'm pretty light. My problem is that I'm quite caloriephobic at times, and I often forget to eat/rush my meals when engrossed with my interest, so I eat really little at times. The fact I am a religious exerciser makes the problem more apparant sometimes. Is anyone here like this too?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 4:48 pm

I seem to be struggling with eating enough, as well. I don't have any issues with calories. For me, it's more of an emotional thing. If something upsetting is going on, in my life, I don't feel like eating as much, as I normally would. I've had so many upsetting things happen to me, between the beginning of March, and I have one more upsetting event, that's coming up. I'm supposed to be eating 1900 calories, a day. I'm only eating an average of 1300 calories, a day. Mine's more of an emotional thing, than a size and image thing.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 5:00 pm

I used to have this problem when I was single--I'd get so engrossed with stuff I'd sometimes miss meals. Now that I'm married I have meals at precise intervals with my wife.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2010, 1:48 am

i wish i had the problem of the OP.

Seattle_Chris
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Aug 2010, 6:12 am

NK, maybe some mad scientist out their could combine our traits and have a well balanced eater. :D I don't eat much, but that's because I've ate too much in the past, if ya' know what I mean. Oh wait. :D You probably don't! Lol Yeah, I'm jealous. :D

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2010, 7:10 pm

You know, in the last couple of month I lost about 20 pounds, and I am so glad about it, but I am having to struggle to keep my calories up to a level where I at least maintain my weight. It helps me if I do a lot of cardio- stimulates my appetite, but then I am also burning calories LOL. I guess there are worse things to have going on, but I can understand what you mean about eating enough. I just worry that my metabolism will slow down due to the calorie restriction.

Make sure you eat plenty of protein, even if you don't get a lot of calories. You dont want your body to use muscle tissue because you aren't eating enough, as your heart is a muscle too! 8O

NovaKnight
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Aug 2010, 11:00 pm

Thanks Pumibel, I guess I better start eating enough protein (I don't want to lose my heart 8O) . And to the guy who wished I had my problem....well....sure, it wouldn't be too bad if I was done growing, but what I'm worried about is that it's stunting my growth a bit. You lost weight, Pumibel? I'd congratulate you for that, I lost tons of weight too (I was once borderline obese)

Jessi_in_wonderland
Toucan
Toucan

16 Aug 2010, 2:24 am

I'm probably one of the pickiest eaters on this forum. Not only am I a vegetarian, but there's many vegetable dishes I won't eat! I really don't like salads. I pretty much take time out of my day to grab a breaded raviolis microwave meal and eat that. I only drink milk and certain juice drinks. I prefer bite size foods or I'm discouraged to eat. I found time in my day to eat because I force myself to do that. And I almost always eat it in my room so I can be on my computer or watching a movie and eat so it doesn't waste time. My mom hates when I eat in my room, but I do it anyway for convenience.

I know I'm probably not eating enough or healthy, but it can be hard to make an effort when you have so many enjoyable distractions.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 7:29 am

I have the terrible habit of both!
Some days I don't eat enough, and some days I eat waaayyy too much.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 9:46 am

I eat lots and I do it fast. I don't see this as a problem :P

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 12:39 pm

I used to have a similar problem - I wasn't calorie-phobic, but I'd never eat breakfast because I couldn't eat 3 meals a day, it was just too much food for me back then. But then when things got busy at work I'd skip lunch too, leaving me eating only once a day - very unhealthy. The somehow I started eating more regularly but the wrong kinds of food so I gained a lot of weight. Currently trying to fix that through diet and exercise, have lost about 7 pounds in a little over a month.

In any case, I'd suggest try not to be calorie-phobic. Instead, figure out your calorie requirements to maintain the weight you want given however much you exercise, and then just work to get that many calories through healthy foods. Google for Michi's Ladder. I try to keep as much of what I eat as possible from tier 1 and tier 2.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 12:39 pm

I used to have a similar problem - I wasn't calorie-phobic, but I'd never eat breakfast because I couldn't eat 3 meals a day, it was just too much food for me back then. But then when things got busy at work I'd skip lunch too, leaving me eating only once a day - very unhealthy. The somehow I started eating more regularly but the wrong kinds of food so I gained a lot of weight. Currently trying to fix that through diet and exercise, have lost about 7 pounds in a little over a month.

In any case, I'd suggest try not to be calorie-phobic. Instead, figure out your calorie requirements to maintain the weight you want given however much you exercise, and then just work to get that many calories through healthy foods. Google for Michi's Ladder. I try to keep as much of what I eat as possible from tier 1 and tier 2.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 12:52 pm

NovaKnight wrote:
Thanks Pumibel, I guess I better start eating enough protein (I don't want to lose my heart 8O) . And to the guy who wished I had my problem....well....sure, it wouldn't be too bad if I was done growing, but what I'm worried about is that it's stunting my growth a bit. You lost weight, Pumibel? I'd congratulate you for that, I lost tons of weight too (I was once borderline obese)

Thanks! I am definitely done growing now, but when I was a teen I was bothered by a bit of tummy and started to diet and exercise. Well that was fine at first, but then I had a late growth spurt and ended up 104 lbs! I am 5 foot 7, so that is really skinny. I just stretched it all up, LOL.

I have gained weight a few times- pregnancy, quit smoking, and then recently I was depressed and on improper meds for a couple of years. I gained 20 with the smoking thing, then I went on antidepressants, lost the 20, kept if off for several years. For me it wasnt a struggle because I am typically active. But a couple years ago I had a breakdown, came back home and gained the 20 back. Recently I went on a couple of medications that help me, and I started working out again- blam! 20 lbs gone again. I guess when my chemicals are all balanced I stay thinner. LOL Sorry for all the boring details.

Anyway-my psychiatrist told me to make sure I eat the protein to protect my heart. People with anorexia (REAL anorexia not just skinny) end up with heart failure because their bodies have no more fat stores and started using the muscle. That is not likely to happen to you unless your weight drops to a dangerously low level. It just doesn't hurt to protect yourself. Just thought I would clarify so you don't worry too much. I didnt mean to make it sound like you were already harming your heart or anything.

Congrats on losing the weight- just be careful and try to get good nutrition.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 1:00 pm

Spazzergasm wrote:
I have the terrible habit of both!
Some days I don't eat enough, and some days I eat waaayyy too much.

You know, you probably balance it out in the end, and your body just burns it off because it never knows what to expect! LOL I have read that some people do a calorie cycling thing throughout the week to make their body use the calories up. They find out what their daily calories should be , multiply by 7, then fluctuate the daily amounts but make sure they take in what they need per week. I don't know if it works. Sounds like a lot of work.

I am strict about what I eat most of the time so that I can have something I really want (like Chinese Food) every once in a while. I do try to get at least enough calories to maintain my bodily functions. So I have to count the calories or otherwise I would only get about 700 a day, and I really need around 1400 or more!

UglyDuckling

20 Aug 2010, 3:22 pm

Yeah, eating is just kind of an annoying chore most of the time. When I learned that lions can get away with just pigging out once a week, I was a bit jealous.