Page 10 of 10 [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 5:09 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
JosephMatthew wrote:
Wow, you guys are pretty vindictive for what is supposed to be a support site...

Someone shows up with some earnest effort towards sharing information that could lead to positive change in our world for ALL people, and in reply some of you try to beat him into the ground. Ever wonder if you're not a key part of our collective social ails?

As for "the goal of activism", it's never about trying to change people's minds or "getting converts"... that is simplistic and counter-productive thinking.

It's about empowering people with information to make up their own mind; not fighting manipulation with more manipulation. That's like bombing for peace... or f#@*ing for virginity ;)

Of course, some people simply don't want new information or to ever consider their views with any new facts; the very embodiment of "closed minded" & there is no point in discussing anything contrary to their views. IME, such behavior is typically the result of some fear-based thinking (as illustrated repeatedly here) and will play itself out.

Likely they will continue that way until some future point when they decide to expand their understanding & consider other perspectives. Meanwhile, others will be taking action to help their fellow human beings.

Cannot help but think what such people could accomplish if instead of tearing others down, they spent their time empowering people.

Something to think about perhaps.

If someone wants to inform, they don't post on a debate board. This is Wrong Planet's acknowledged debate board; it isn't realistic to ask people to check their own and contrasting opinions at the door.

DW, would it be possible then to have a second religion/philosophy board that was not a debate board but had a more gentle astmosphere. I know lots of others on wp who like these subjects but dont talk about them as here is so vile and there is not another subforum where its appropriate to share about religion/philosophy in a more gentle manner.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 5:11 pm

Adam-Anti-Um wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Adam-Anti-Um wrote:
You know I don't really need to read what you have to say, since I feel inclined to reciprocatein the same vein.

Maybe it had crossed your mind that I have provided information that satisfies, however since you have already made up your mind about it, and hense won't be swayed either way.

One thing I know, being an autistic person myself is that we can be extremely pig-headed. I remember when I couldn't be persuaded either way on anything once I got an idea in my head. With this knowledge in mind I know that nothing I say is ever gonna be good enough for you. Does that make me a false prophet? I don't think so.

You honestly expect me to believe that you are a considerate and accomodating audience? You honestly expect me to believe that there would be anything I could say that will EVER enlighten you? Gimme a break.

I have said numerous times that it is not my job to convince anyone of anything. But as John Kramer says:

"You can't help them. They have to help themselves".

I know now that this is not the place to promote these ideas coz autistic peope characteristically are too set in their ways to consider anything. Just take AG and Orwell for example. They have made it their job in every way they can to shoot down anything I say. Thjis ego stratification frankly appauls me and I admit I made the mistake of encouraging the wrath of the WP snakes intent on smearing, ridiculing and insulting anything they come across that so much as disrupts their nose hairs.

I'm not sure if I wanna associate with this kind of people anymore.

I'll leave you guys to tear up my posts like rabbid vultures intent on picking the carcass of my existance here clean and resembling nothing but meaningless words after I have departed. Just remember your behaviour shows you as nothing better than pseudo-intellectual vultures, motivated only to pick anything you disagree with apart for your own satisfaction.

Interesting. Janissy considers herself NT. "Normal." She has a daughter who is AS and has come to love our community after coming here in a search for information.

This statement is a cope out: Maybe it had crossed your mind that I have provided information that satisfies, however since you have already made up your mind about it, and hense won't be swayed either way.

I admitted it when I moved behind a hard to defend position; your turn.

I'm not a fan of the way our members pull apart posts, either, but I've never blamed THEM for being too set in their ways et al; I've just chalked it up to personal differences and at some point posted, "sorry, you haven't changed my mind, and I'm not interested in continuing this debate." You know, the live and let live thing?

And you failed to address Janissy's point about the lurking readers. Those undecided folks who aren't posting. Have you given up on them?

As for this: Just remember your behaviour shows you as nothing better than pseudo-intellectual vultures, motivated only to pick anything you disagree with apart for your own satisfaction.

Isn't that kind of the whole point (to play vulture when one enters a debate forum)? And aren't we all pseudo-intellectuals in some way? We all like to believe we've got the next great idea that will change the world, or that everything would be so much better if the government would just listen to "me," but most of us don't do much to seriously test our theories, and most of us don't become acknowledged experts or even commentators. A radio show doesn't necessisarily make you any different; we're ALL playing to various degrees. Really; if you were serious you would have developed an answer for each and every question, and you would be willing to repeat it 1,000 times if need be. Takes a lot of spine and a lot of dedication, doesn't it? So, most of us don't have that ... so be it. We play around with our ideas in places like this to sharpen our minds and share our ideas mostly in mediums that play to friendly audiences. That is all within the realm of what "people" do. Take it for what it is, don't make more from it than there needs to be, and get from it what you can that is useful. You've got your platform for your project; what you see from members here is stuff you can use to sharpen your points. Make lemonade.

I'm not prepared to put up with this sh** anymore. Life is too short to have to explain myself to forum vultures who have no respect. I've asked for my account to be removed.

So you really believe what you say? That's nice. You have fun with that.

Here is the way to get out of the cycle you're in with this thread:

"I feel I've stated my thinking and ideas clearly. It is up to the various readers to make from that information what they will. I sincerely hope people will find my ideas interesting and influential, but I understand that may not always be so. In that light, if you wish to pick apart my information, please don't expect or ask me to respond. I won't, as I feel it tends to be counterproductive. Thank you for taking the time to read. If too much counterproductive discussion follows this post, I'll ask a moderator to lock the thread."

Then ... you leave the thread.

A good way to share ideas without having to deal with the debate team is to put the ideas in your blog and link the blog in your signature.

Seriously, if YOU, as the OP, ask me to lock the thread, I lock the thread. I've gotten pm's before where the poster tells me they feel a thread they started has gotten out of control and it is upsetting them. If they ask me to lock, I always have. If they ask me to move, it depends. So .... If you want to summarize what your goals were (without saying anything negative about any other posters or positions in thread) and then ask me to lock, I will. Or, if you just want me to lock before another word gets in, I'll do that, too.

Fair?

Last edited by DW_a_mom on 20 Aug 2010, 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 5:13 pm

lotusblossom wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
JosephMatthew wrote:
Wow, you guys are pretty vindictive for what is supposed to be a support site...

Someone shows up with some earnest effort towards sharing information that could lead to positive change in our world for ALL people, and in reply some of you try to beat him into the ground. Ever wonder if you're not a key part of our collective social ails?

As for "the goal of activism", it's never about trying to change people's minds or "getting converts"... that is simplistic and counter-productive thinking.

It's about empowering people with information to make up their own mind; not fighting manipulation with more manipulation. That's like bombing for peace... or f#@*ing for virginity ;)

Of course, some people simply don't want new information or to ever consider their views with any new facts; the very embodiment of "closed minded" & there is no point in discussing anything contrary to their views. IME, such behavior is typically the result of some fear-based thinking (as illustrated repeatedly here) and will play itself out.

Likely they will continue that way until some future point when they decide to expand their understanding & consider other perspectives. Meanwhile, others will be taking action to help their fellow human beings.

Cannot help but think what such people could accomplish if instead of tearing others down, they spent their time empowering people.

If someone wants to inform, they don't post on a debate board. This is Wrong Planet's acknowledged debate board; it isn't realistic to ask people to check their own and contrasting opinions at the door.

DW, would it be possible then to have a second religion/philosophy board that was not a debate board but had a more gentle astmosphere. I know lots of others on wp who like these subjects but dont talk about them as here is so vile and there is not another subforum where its appropriate to share about religion/philosophy in a more gentle manner.

A valid question. I think the assumption is that News and Current Events is the "lite" version, but that isn't exactly true.

Can you post that suggestion on Wrong Planet Discussion? Or maybe we add an official debate board?

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 5:19 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
lotusblossom wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
JosephMatthew wrote:

A valid question. I think the assumption is that News and Current Events is the "lite" version, but that isn't exactly true.

Can you post that suggestion on Wrong Planet Discussion? Or maybe we add an official debate board?

sure, I have now done so :D

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 5:31 pm

Adam-Anti-Um wrote:
So you really believe what you say? That's nice. You have fun with that.

Which part?

Actually, maybe it's best if you skip the temptation to answer that.

I'll repeat: Seriously, if YOU, as the OP, ask me to lock the thread, I lock the thread. I've gotten pm's before where the poster tells me they feel a thread they started has gotten out of control and it is upsetting them. If they ask me to lock, I always have. If they ask me to move, it depends. So .... If you want to summarize what your goals were (without saying anything negative about any other posters or positions in thread) and then ask me to lock, I will. Or, if you just want me to lock before another word gets in, I'll do that, too.