Yes 20%  20%  [ 6 ]
No 80%  80%  [ 24 ]
Total votes : 30

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 2:43 pm

ruveyn wrote:
How can one hate something that makes one giggle and snort?

I dunno but somehow marijuana is still illegal.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

ChrisVulcan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2010, 3:23 pm

Personally, I think every group is hated by somebody. Christians just tend to get more attention because they're a larger group. Anyhow, it's hard to take an objective measure on how much someone hates something.

Watch Doctor Who!

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 4:15 pm

skafather84 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
But in Texas people will even use megaphones in downtown Dallas to whine or express whatever they think.

I thought that was just Alex Jones?

And I thought there were laws against using megaphones in public without proper licensing?

If there are laws, then they may have been passed later on (last time I saw a guy blaring on a megaphone about his complaints was back in 2001, I think) or it could have been that he got a license to complain about random stuff. Either way, regardless of the existence of laws and the following of them, there still remains in the nature of people there to speak out.

Texans have big mouths.

Yes, they do. Do you have a problem with that?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 4:19 pm

ruveyn wrote:
SteamPowerDev wrote:
I find most religions tend towards the hateful in one category or another. Christianity just seems to be more hateful than most because it's everywhere in Western Culture. I assure you that most of the other religions out there are just as insane and hateful.

The Protestant version of Christianity is too ludicrous to hate. How can one hate something that makes one giggle and snort?

ruveyn

Why the Protestant version particularly? Because that's usually where the bizarre cults usually try to hide themselves among? Or what? What about the Catholic version which has the doctrines regarding Papal infallibility, praying to saints, praying to Mary, and all that stuff?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 4:33 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
SteamPowerDev wrote:
I find most religions tend towards the hateful in one category or another. Christianity just seems to be more hateful than most because it's everywhere in Western Culture. I assure you that most of the other religions out there are just as insane and hateful.

The Protestant version of Christianity is too ludicrous to hate. How can one hate something that makes one giggle and snort?

ruveyn

Why the Protestant version particularly? Because that's usually where the bizarre cults usually try to hide themselves among? Or what? What about the Catholic version which has the doctrines regarding Papal infallibility, praying to saints, praying to Mary, and all that stuff?

Catholicism has a deep aspect. It has attracted the efforts of world class philosophers like Thomas Aquinas. Thomas engaged the services of Aristotle to justify the underlying theology of the Catholic faith. I don't know any really first class philosophical apology of the Protestant form of the faith. For a time, Catholic scholars were among the brightest intellectual lights of Europe. By the time Catholicism went into decline during the enlightenment philosophy was taken up largely by Deists, Agnostic and Atheists. For example David Hume. The leading intellects of the European enlightenment went a long way to purging religion from philosophy.

ruveyn

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 5:08 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
But in Texas people will even use megaphones in downtown Dallas to whine or express whatever they think.

And I thought there were laws against using megaphones in public without proper licensing?

If there are laws, then they may have been passed later on (last time I saw a guy blaring on a megaphone about his complaints was back in 2001, I think) or it could have been that he got a license to complain about random stuff. Either way, regardless of the existence of laws and the following of them, there still remains in the nature of people there to speak out.

Texans have big mouths.

If I have to listen to them, yes.

Also, they're stealing up all the air with those big mouths.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 5:13 pm

skafather84 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Texans have big mouths.

If I have to listen to them, yes.

Also, they're stealing up all the air with those big mouths.

You don't have to listen to anybody, but if you wish to silence people you can always start with yourself.

Stealing up all the air? Oh, I guess you're right we are on Mir. Not!

Ambrose_Rotten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Aug 2010, 5:22 pm

:lol:

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 5:28 pm

ruveyn wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
SteamPowerDev wrote:

ruveyn

Catholicism has a deep aspect. It has attracted the efforts of world class philosophers like Thomas Aquinas. Thomas engaged the services of Aristotle to justify the underlying theology of the Catholic faith. I don't know any really first class philosophical apology of the Protestant form of the faith. For a time, Catholic scholars were among the brightest intellectual lights of Europe. By the time Catholicism went into decline during the enlightenment philosophy was taken up largely by Deists, Agnostic and Atheists. For example David Hume. The leading intellects of the European enlightenment went a long way to purging religion from philosophy.

ruveyn

For starters, as per related to the issues brought up by Hume, there is William Paley. But also, there were Petrus Cunaeus, Johannes van den Driesche, Francis Schaeffer, Jonathan Edwards, and also such scientists like James Clerk Maxwell.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 5:46 pm

Ambrose_Rotten wrote:

That's pretty much conservative christianity summarized in one picture ;)

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 10:30 pm

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Did Aquinas have a choice?

That being said philosophical apologetics isn't dead, and many of the modern forces in this are Protestant. The minds involved are somewhat "world-class", but I don't know how great you have to be to get on your list. Alvin Plantinga is usually considered one of the greats though.

ChrisVulcan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2010, 10:47 pm

greenblue wrote:
Ambrose_Rotten wrote:

That's pretty much conservative christianity summarized in one picture ;)

Give me one Biblical passage that endorses personal attacks on people with different beliefs. If you're really an objective, thining person; if what ou say is truly based on fact, reply to this message. I dare you.

Watch Doctor Who!

Ambrose_Rotten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Aug 2010, 11:23 pm

ChrisVulcan wrote:
greenblue wrote:
Ambrose_Rotten wrote:

That's pretty much conservative Christianity summarized in one picture ;)

Give me one Biblical passage that endorses personal attacks on people with different beliefs. If you're really an objective, thinking person; if what you say is truly based on fact, reply to this message. I dare you.

It's unfortunate that there are self-proclaimed "Christians" that refuse to behave in a Christ-like manner. This is what the cartoon illustrates.

I cannot speak for GreenBlue.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 12:59 am

Ambrose_Rotten wrote:
ChrisVulcan wrote:
greenblue wrote:
Ambrose_Rotten wrote:
[img]caricaturization%20of%20debate[/img]

Give me one Biblical passage that endorses personal attacks on people with different beliefs. If you're really an objective, thinking person; if what you say is truly based on fact, reply to this message. I dare you.

It's unfortunate that there are self-proclaimed "Christians" that refuse to behave in a Christ-like manner. This is what the cartoon illustrates.

GreenBlue is an Agnostic last I know. BTW, are you a self-proclaimed Christian who is attempting to subtly imply that someone else on this board isn't one? Or, as is more likely the case, just yet another Atheist poking fun at something you lack the comprehension of even though you've convinced yourself otherwise? And yes, "have you stopped beating your wife?" is the type of question utilized here, which is similar to the cartoon you posted in the manner that it tries to imply multiple situational characteristics and oversimplifies.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 1:35 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Ambrose_Rotten wrote:
ChrisVulcan wrote:
greenblue wrote:
Ambrose_Rotten wrote:

GreenBlue is an Agnostic last I know. BTW, are you a self-proclaimed Christian who is attempting to subtly imply that someone else on this board isn't one? Or, as is more likely the case, just yet another Atheist poking fun at something you lack the comprehension of even though you've convinced yourself otherwise? And yes, "have you stopped beating your wife?" is the type of question utilized here, which is similar to the cartoon you posted in the manner that it tries to imply multiple situational characteristics and oversimplifies.

Then all those centuries of Christian persecution of Jews as "Christ killers" must be declared non-existent?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 1:46 am

Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Ambrose_Rotten wrote:
ChrisVulcan wrote:
greenblue wrote:
Ambrose_Rotten wrote:

Then all those centuries of Christian persecution of Jews as "Christ killers" must be declared non-existent?

Interesting interpretation of my words and an incredible conclusion to boot.