Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 3:36 pm

http://www.ted.com/talks/ethan_zuckerman.html

An interesting take on how we take in the media with specifically a focus on the internet and our "global" viewpoints.

/which is again why I talk so much about politics in terms of American vs Europe vs the rest of the world...because America is very isolated in its ideals.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 10:24 pm

skafather84 wrote:
/which is again why I talk so much about politics in terms of American vs Europe vs the rest of the world...because America is very isolated in its ideals.

I'm not sure what you're driving at here. W.E. are the greatest nation on this planet! These United States of America are the land God promised to His chosen people; it was our destiny to have a land of freedom and plenty from sea to shining sea. We are the freest, most prosperous country in the world. Other countries want to be like us, and those who don't envy us and hate our success. We've got more nukes than anyone knows what to do with, so what sane country would dare f**k with us? Our democratic values and our prized tolerance set an example for all other nations to aspire to; we'll tolerate everything from the Southern Baptist Convention to Pentecostals and Methodists; we even had a papist for President once! We speak in God's native language: American English with a Southern twang. All the news that's worth hearing about happens here anyway, so why would we need to listen internationally? That sounds dangerously communist. 8O

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 3:26 am

NeantHumain wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

I'm not sure what you're driving at here. W.E. are the greatest nation on this planet! These United States of America are the land God promised to His chosen people; it was our destiny to have a land of freedom and plenty from sea to shining sea. We are the freest, most prosperous country in the world. Other countries want to be like us, and those who don't envy us and hate our success. We've got more nukes than anyone knows what to do with, so what sane country would dare f**k with us? Our democratic values and our prized tolerance set an example for all other nations to aspire to; we'll tolerate everything from the Southern Baptist Convention to Pentecostals and Methodists; we even had a papist for President once! We speak in God's native language: American English with a Southern twang. All the news that's worth hearing about happens here anyway, so why would we need to listen internationally? That sounds dangerously communist. 8O

American triumphalism and exceptionalism.

ruveyn