Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Aspiemum82
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Oct 2010, 3:09 am

I am such an indecisive person. I have always wanted to start collecting something - but can never decide on what to collect. When I was 19 I did collect Troll dolls though, and had around 50-60.

I seem to obsess over people - Madonna, Janet Jackson, Michael Jackson, Stevie Nicks, The Dixie Chicks, and for this whole year I have been obsessed with my sons school teacher. I don't 'crush' on them, but I need to know everything about them, and I think about them all of the time.... it is very strange...

My sons has been obsessed with Mario and Zelda since he was 2 (he is now 5)...and I mean 'obsessed' :)

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 10:54 pm

Aspiemum82 wrote:
I seem to obsess over people - Madonna, Janet Jackson, Michael Jackson, Stevie Nicks, The Dixie Chicks, and for this whole year I have been obsessed with my sons school teacher. I don't 'crush' on them, but I need to know everything about them, and I think about them all of the time.... it is very strange...

I am the same way.

But I also do it with "real" people, if I feel some attraction to them. It's how I've managed to screw up 2 friendships thus far :(

leeloodallas
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2010, 1:03 am

Quote:
Anyway, my interests have always been considered odd and sometimes creepy. Some top ones from childhood: serial killers, The X-Files, anything paranormal, mental disorders, medical conditions, The Holocaust, slavery, The Titanic and so on. I always get interested in disaster-type topics.

Mine too. In HS my favorite site was crimelibrary.com (mass murderers, serial killers, etc). I used to have a strong "Helter Skelter"/Charles Manson interest and that freaked people out. I remember going into the school library and asking for the book and the librarian thought I was crazy. The Holocaust was a huge interest too...

One funny thing I was interested in when I was younger was STD's. I would talk about herpes, crabs, and gonorrhea at age 12 to anyone like I was talking about the weather. 8O

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 12:00 pm

leeloodallas wrote:
Quote:
Anyway, my interests have always been considered odd and sometimes creepy. Some top ones from childhood: serial killers, The X-Files, anything paranormal, mental disorders, medical conditions, The Holocaust, slavery, The Titanic and so on. I always get interested in disaster-type topics.

One funny thing I was interested in when I was younger was STD's. I would talk about herpes, crabs, and gonorrhea at age 12 to anyone like I was talking about the weather. 8O

Haha! That's terrible! I was also interested in deviant sexual stuff. I remember being in HS and doing a book report and describing, in great detail, its rape scene. My teacher seemed a bit horrified but she let me finish! I was really excited to describe it :o

Atama
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Oct 2010, 12:58 pm

I have always been obsessed by apes and movies. Sometimes I get obsessed over some games or comics or animals. Right now my special interest is law (especially French commercial law).

slovaksiren
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 2:24 pm

I love anime, video games, and researching stuff, especially science and history.

Right now, I am really crazy about Pokemon, more specifically this one character named N... (squeeee!! !)

leeloodallas
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2010, 3:09 pm

Kiseki wrote:
leeloodallas wrote:
Quote:

Haha! That's terrible! I was also interested in deviant sexual stuff. I remember being in HS and doing a book report and describing, in great detail, its rape scene. My teacher seemed a bit horrified but she let me finish! I was really excited to describe it :o

Oh, that's wild! I wish I could have been in that class. Freaking out teachers is always an experience. I remember writing an essay about "my own worst enemy". I suck at talking about myself like that so I made up a story that I had a split personality (really into "Sybil" at the time) who was destructive and violent and the only way to get rid of her was to kill myself (I added that that was something I'd never do btw). She sent it to the office and a counselor called my mom!

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 10:17 pm

leeloodallas wrote:
Oh, that's wild! I wish I could have been in that class. Freaking out teachers is always an experience. I remember writing an essay about "my own worst enemy". I suck at talking about myself like that so I made up a story that I had a split personality (really into "Sybil" at the time) who was destructive and violent and the only way to get rid of her was to kill myself (I added that that was something I'd never do btw). She sent it to the office and a counselor called my mom!

AWESOME! I think we may be twins, separated at birth! I also had a brief obsession with Sybil and multiple personality disorder :lol: Yeah, teachers are so silly. Instead of talking to the student they just immediately assume things.

Also in HS, I became obsessed with Sylvia Plath. I thought anyone who could stick their head in an oven must have led an interesting life. LOL. We were meant to write a 5 page paper on a poet, but mine was 20...with photo inserts! My teacher was not as impressed as I had been writing it. She actually marked me down for going over 5 pages! What a beeyotch!

leeloodallas
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2010, 11:06 pm

Kiseki wrote:
AWESOME! I think we may be twins, separated at birth! I also had a brief obsession with Sybil and multiple personality disorder :lol: Yeah, teachers are so silly. Instead of talking to the student they just immediately assume things.

Also in HS, I became obsessed with Sylvia Plath. I thought anyone who could stick their head in an oven must have led an interesting life. LOL. We were meant to write a 5 page paper on a poet, but mine was 20...with photo inserts! My teacher was not as impressed as I had been writing it. She actually marked me down for going over 5 pages! What a beeyotch!

Our brains must have been activated at the same time lol. Sybil was an interesting woman, it's hard not to become obsessed with her case and DID/MPD. When the counselor called my mom she didn't even care since she knows my out there writing style. I once wrote a story about a boy who got addicted to laxatives and pooed to death :( . So that English essay was nothing surprising...

Lol! Wow, you'd think that a teacher would be thrilled that a student had so much passion for an assignment. You really don't get that every day, especially in HS. She should have given you extra points for adding pics, that doofus. English teachers can be so anal.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 11:48 pm

leeloodallas wrote:
Our brains must have been activated at the same time lol. Sybil was an interesting woman, it's hard not to become obsessed with her case and DID/MPD. When the counselor called my mom she didn't even care since she knows my out there writing style. I once wrote a story about a boy who got addicted to laxatives and pooed to death :( . So that English essay was nothing surprising...

Lol! Wow, you'd think that a teacher would be thrilled that a student had so much passion for an assignment. You really don't get that every day, especially in HS. She should have given you extra points for adding pics, that doofus. English teachers can be so anal.

Hahaha! You are truly awesome! The laxative story is GENIUS!

Well, this particular teacher of mine was also the same one who had to deal with my rape scene description, amongst other things. And this was a Catholic school! Oh, man, my freshman year in English I was a right weirdo! We also had to do an assignment where we changed the Romeo and Juliet story and I made mine "Romeo and Julio," where Romeo discovers Juliet was actually born a man and murders her out of rage. LOL. I think I wrote half of this stuff just to get a rise out of my teacher.

leeloodallas
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2010, 10:05 am

Kiseki wrote:
leeloodallas wrote:
Hahaha! You are truly awesome! The laxative story is GENIUS!

Well, this particular teacher of mine was also the same one who had to deal with my rape scene description, amongst other things. And this was a Catholic school! Oh, man, my freshman year in English I was a right weirdo! We also had to do an assignment where we changed the Romeo and Juliet story and I made mine "Romeo and Julio," where Romeo discovers Juliet was actually born a man and murders her out of rage. LOL. I think I wrote half of this stuff just to get a rise out of my teacher.

Thank you! After I wrote it my best 11th grade friend (never had one to span more than a semester) was sad that my main character died [with his anus shooting clear across the bathroom].

Oh man, you wrote all of that at Catholic School? Amazing! Your teacher must have become an alcoholic after her semester teaching you (that was a compliment :). haha, I like that; Romeo and Julio. The plot you described would actually make a really good movie. Think about the controversy it would cause in the mainstream media...awesome...

Mercurial
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 11:48 am

I'm "obsessed" with sci fi and Shakespeare, but I don't think my obsessions manifest the same as with a man with AS. Like men I know who share these special interests, I don't have a need to go to Comic Con or Star Trek conventions, and I don't like trying to impress people with my knowledge of Shakespeare or being a "Bardolater" (they're superfans of the Shakespeare world). I just want to engage in my interests, in my own way, usually by myself. With my obsessions, I want to be proficient and knowledgeable, but I need to experience them and engage in them more than being able to rattle off this or that detail. I'm terrible, for example, with remembering the details of every episode of Babylon 5 or Stargate SG1, but I need to watch those shows. I have my personal "canon" of sci fi literature that I have to have on hand to read when I need it, and I frequently reread the same books over and over. I don't need to be able to quote Shakespeare, but I need to be able to spend time reading or listening to the Arkangel recordings. It's actually hard for me to get through the day without some sci fi or Shakespeare. My obsessions are like sleep--I need time with them, or my brain just doesn't work right.

I may not be as "obsessive" about my obsessions as some people, but they DO take me away from the rest of the world and from other people. They can isolate me and infringe on my ability to maintain relationships with other people, and I think that is what defines them as an Aspie obsession. And in that regards, I am quite intense about my obsessions. They are not up for negotiation. I have to have them. I can't function without them. I will become utterly dysfunctional if I can't have my time, by myself, away from everyone else, with these interests.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 4:56 pm

leeloodallas wrote:
Thank you! After I wrote it my best 11th grade friend (never had one to span more than a semester) was sad that my main character died [with his anus shooting clear across the bathroom].

Oh man, you wrote all of that at Catholic School? Amazing! Your teacher must have become an alcoholic after her semester teaching you (that was a compliment :). haha, I like that; Romeo and Julio. The plot you described would actually make a really good movie. Think about the controversy it would cause in the mainstream media...awesome...

Aww, sorry to hear you had so few friends in HS. I had several other weird, artsy people I could relate to. Basically we were all misfits but they never did what I did in class!

Thank you for the comments! Wish I still had all those whack stories from HS :)

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 4:58 pm

Mercurial wrote:
I'm "obsessed" with sci fi and Shakespeare, but I don't think my obsessions manifest the same as with a man with AS. Like men I know who share these special interests, I don't have a need to go to Comic Con or Star Trek conventions, and I don't like trying to impress people with my knowledge of Shakespeare or being a "Bardolater" (they're superfans of the Shakespeare world). I just want to engage in my interests, in my own way, usually by myself. With my obsessions, I want to be proficient and knowledgeable, but I need to experience them and engage in them more than being able to rattle off this or that detail. I'm terrible, for example, with remembering the details of every episode of Babylon 5 or Stargate SG1, but I need to watch those shows. I have my personal "canon" of sci fi literature that I have to have on hand to read when I need it, and I frequently reread the same books over and over. I don't need to be able to quote Shakespeare, but I need to be able to spend time reading or listening to the Arkangel recordings. It's actually hard for me to get through the day without some sci fi or Shakespeare. My obsessions are like sleep--I need time with them, or my brain just doesn't work right.

I may not be as "obsessive" about my obsessions as some people, but they DO take me away from the rest of the world and from other people. They can isolate me and infringe on my ability to maintain relationships with other people, and I think that is what defines them as an Aspie obsession. And in that regards, I am quite intense about my obsessions. They are not up for negotiation. I have to have them. I can't function without them. I will become utterly dysfunctional if I can't have my time, by myself, away from everyone else, with these interests.

Basically, me too :) Though I don't have the sci-fi interest anymore. I used to categorize all my sci-fi videos and watch them repeatedly as well.

leeloodallas
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2010, 10:34 pm

Kiseki wrote:
Aww, sorry to hear you had so few friends in HS. I had several other weird, artsy people I could relate to. Basically we were all misfits but they never did what I did in class!

Thank you for the comments! Wish I still had all those whack stories from HS :)

You're welcome! lol, I wish I'd saved some of mine too...

Lucky you to have had other people to relate to in school, while being the rebel among your group!

Yeah, having not many friends was kind of lame but my younger was pretty popular and his social circle knew me by default. So I always knew people, mostly guys. Funny most of them were in my year (he was a grade lower than me) and more tolerable of my weirdness than others. On my own, I got along best with the "misunderstood" kids.