Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

voss749
Raven
Raven

10 May 2006, 2:30 pm

Ive replaced all the monitors ive used with LCD monitors and I notice how much more productive I am
and also how much reduced eyestrain.

k96822
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2006, 3:06 pm

voss749 wrote:
Ive replaced all the monitors ive used with LCD monitors and I notice how much more productive I am
and also how much reduced eyestrain.

And there are no longer any of those evil radio waves cooking our brains, our delicious, delicious brains!

kc0eks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 May 2006, 1:48 pm

When I got my LCD I noticed the improvement too. Lots of plus's! :)

Astreja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 May 2006, 2:21 am

I switched from 17" CRT to 17" LCD, and gained about four cubic feet of extra desk space. Which I promptly filled up with junk -- A drum pad, a stack of CD's, and a lot of paper. :D

But, now that you mention it, the eye strain did go down tremendously. I can work on the computer for at least twice as long now.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2006, 7:41 pm

They are indeed easier on the eyes and I probally only buy them from now on but only have one on the main computer I use most Too bad its the end of the tube

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2006, 8:22 am

i have noticed a differance too, i dont have to squint to read a tft or lcd screen, the last time i plugged in a crt was when my dad tested the 2 screen display mode on laptop. i could barely read the letters or typing on it. (the crt) it also is better if the screen is flat panel 9 even the tv is flat panel but its the only device that has a tube in back. with crt if i look to side and its in corner of eye i can see the refresh rate of the screen. with tft and lcd i dont see it at all.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2006, 12:18 am

I just recently got an LCD for my computer, and it is much better than typical CRT monitors. I, too, noticed a lot of reduction in eye strain. It's ironic that I, who has been at a computer for almost all of my life, does not need any sort of eye glasses. My eyes are really good, still. I heard that it's uncommon for someone who's been looking at a computer screen almost day in and day out. I can only think the LCD will make it even better ...

- Ray M -

rearden
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 May 2006, 2:00 am

Aeturnus wrote:
It's ironic that I, who has been at a computer for almost all of my life, does not need any sort of eye glasses. My eyes are really good, still. I heard that it's uncommon for someone who's been looking at a computer screen almost day in and day out. I can only think the LCD will make it even better ...

I'm 23, and I've used computers for hours at a time on a daily basis since I was 3. When I was 6 or so, I had 20/20 vision. About 3 weeks ago, my vision tested at 20/12.5 -- I could read the next-to-lastline on the eye chart. I always freak people out by reading signs and such from really far away. So if anything, computer monitors *improved* my vision. :)

I love LCD screens. When I first got mine, my eyes hurt a little for a few days because the display is so sharp and there's so much more contrast than most CRT's. Now, it's the opposite-- most CRT monitors look dim and muddy, and they hurt my eyes after a while.

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2006, 3:40 pm

The biggest problem with LCD monitors is when they are not run at their native resolution. They look hideous when the scalers must add or subract pixels to make the resolution fit the screen. CRT's work great when different resolutions are necessary. I keep a nice high-end NEC multi-sync 19 inch one in my shop for testing out computers and other display products for this reason. Also, analogue TV looks TERRIBLE on a CRT monitor, or any digital display device. DVD's don't look too bad when using the component video connection, but LCD and plasma screens really only look good when displaying a native digital picture.

The contrast ratio on LCD's has improved considerably lately. The biggest problem LCD's had was when displaying a complete gray scale for 0% to 100% brightness. The brightest and dimmest levels would get "crushed" This is apparent when an LCD monitor is connected to a test pattern generator that steps up the brightness in each bar by 5%. The darkest few, and brightest few bars were typically indistingushible, and would show up as a large black, or white bar several "steps" wide. Obtain a test pattern generator, or better yet, a test pattern program (NEC has one downloadable from their web page) when shopping for LCD monitors. There's still some cheapie ones out there with limited contrast range.

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2006, 11:15 am

cool glad you see it that way