Page 4 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 9:42 am

The law of gravity, which I remember as being "(G*m1*m2)/r^2" is irrelevant to this. Without the existence of matter, a substance having mass and occupying space, there is neither m1 nor m2, so you have, at most, a constant in the numerator of the equation which is being multiplied by zero.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 10:33 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
The law of gravity, which I remember as being "(G*m1*m2)/r^2" is irrelevant to this. Without the existence of matter, a substance having mass and occupying space, there is neither m1 nor m2, so you have, at most, a constant in the numerator of the equation which is being multiplied by zero.

Frankly, I'd consider myself a damned fool if I took your opinion over Stephen Hawking's.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 1:21 pm

Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Frankly, I'd consider myself a damned fool if I took your opinion over Stephen Hawking's.

No, you'd be a damned fool if you took the folly of argumentum ad vericundium over a simple matter of mathematics.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

02 Sep 2010, 2:31 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

No, you'd be a damned fool if you took the folly of argumentum ad vericundium over a simple matter of mathematics.

Adorable pic and tagline btw, Keet. :D

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 2:57 pm

Thanks.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 5:57 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Your reply lived up to expectations.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 6:01 pm

Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Your reply lived up to expectations.

As did yours.

ScratchMonkey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Sep 2010, 2:50 am

In answering the original question, you have to be careful about the terms used. The term "atheist" has a number of different meanings depending on who you speak to, and it's important to narrow down which meaning you're using when talking about the subject. Just to illustrate the range of meanings people use, check out the relevant subsection on Wikipedia's page about atheism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism#De ... stinctions

These kinds of discussions tend to recur a lot on the Internet, and people go over and over the same ground, repeating the same things. So I like to go look at Wikipedia to get a feel for what's gone before and save some time. It shouldn't be considered a primary source of evidence, but, like Google, it's a good place to find a bunch of links and discussion (on the article's Talk page) about a subject.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 12:00 am

hehe. Wouldn't "Christian philosophers" be an oxymoron?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 12:02 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
hehe. Wouldn't "Christian philosophers" be an oxymoron? Christians that love knowledge, yeah right.

What would you call Thomas Aquinas? He was one of the great Aristotelian philosophers. He was also made a saint because he was not a pedophile.

ruveyn