It depends what "gay rights" encompasses 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
I don't care 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 66

Carnione
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Sep 2010, 8:02 pm

(I hope I posted this in the right place...?) :oops:

I'm doing a seminar on Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgendered rights and need to collect opinions of other people, so if you have the time, can you give your opinion on each of these + any other additional things you may wish to add:

1] Do you believe that a child raised by parents of the same sex would be more likely to "develop" differently? How? (In the sense of gender equality, sexual orientation, gender idendity, acceptance, etc.)
2] Do you think that LGBT should be taught in high schools? Why?
3] Do you think that, overall, same-sex parenting has more positive (or negative) effects than hetero (or single) parenting?
4] Do you believe gay marriage/union should be allowed in all countries? Why?
5] What are your opinions on LGBT in media?

Question 2 - in case there are any differences between your definition of high school and mine - means students between ages 13-18 years old. :wink: And, the word "taught" can be interpreted as you want, so long as you mention what you mean, as well - I meant it mostly in the "teaching tolerance," though it can also mean including it in the "making it part of 'Safe Sex' classes" or "making it part of a History/Social Study/other class," etc.

Last edited by Carnione on 04 Sep 2010, 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 8:24 pm

Carnione wrote:
1] Do you believe that a child raised by parents of the same sex would be more likely to "develop" differently? How? (In the sense of gender equality, sexual orientation, gender idendity, acceptance, etc.)

If I remember correctly, there have been studies that concluded that children of same-sex parents are no better or worse off than children of opposite-sex parents. The only hardship such a family might have to endure would be the narrow-minded people with whom they interact with. Other than that, the only effect upon a child being raised by same-sex parents would be that the child would grow up to be a more tolerant and open-minded person.

Carnione wrote:

I think that a more open and frank discussion on LGBT issues in high school would result in more tolerant and educated students, along with more LGBT youth being able to accept themselves; so, yes, I think it would be a good idea.

Carnione wrote:
3] Do you think that, overall, same-sex parenting has more positive (or negative) effects than hetero (or single) parenting?

Like I mentioned earlier, there have been studies that concluded that children of same-sex parents are no better or worse off than children of opposite-sex parents. In fact, I recall reading about one study that concluded with the children of lesbian parents faring much better than all other children studied.

Carnione wrote:

Yes, I believe same-sex marriage should be allowed. Gay couples are not inferior to straight couples, and there is no rational reason to deny gay couples any of the benefits of marriage.

Carnione wrote:

As long as they don't play too heavily on stereotypes and cliches, then I think it's a good thing. More public exposure would mean more public acceptance.

Last edited by Descartes on 04 Sep 2010, 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 8:42 pm

Nothing more than negative consequences of how the rest of society views it.
What do you mean teach LGBT? It's not relevant to the school's job unless it's related to cultural studies.
No opinion.
In my own country, yes.
No opinion.

Carnione
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Sep 2010, 8:48 pm

buryuntime wrote:
What do you mean teach LGBT? It's not relevant to the school's job unless it's related to cultural studies.

I apologise - it was meant to be along the lines of: "Do you think that LGBT acceptance/other should be taught as a unit in Health classes/Social or Cultural Studies/etc."

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

04 Sep 2010, 8:58 pm

no. i am bisexual myself, and we dont live in a perfect world or will we ever be

mrluckybob
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Sep 2010, 9:04 pm

Quote:

I believe these children may be more aware of the different types of families.
I do not feel it will effect their own sexual orientations.

[/quote]2] Do you think that LGBT should be taught in high schools? Why?
Quote:

Yes if your talking about giving kids who are consider lgbt an education of course.
yes if you mean teach kids tolerance on the subject.

Quote:

it depends on the person not his/her sexual orientation.

the rest i haven't really thought about.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 9:13 pm

richardbenson wrote:
no. i am bisexual myself, and we dont live in a perfect world or will we ever be

True, but that doesn't mean we should just sit back and let people suffer because of who they are.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 9:19 pm

I believe in Gay Rights.

Cheeseroyale34
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Sep 2010, 9:56 pm

I believe gays deserve rights, especially marriage.

tomhead
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Sep 2010, 10:05 pm

(Disclaimer: I'm the adult son of a lesbian couple.)

I think a child raised by parents of the same sex would be more likely to be open-minded.

I think the contributions of, and issues affecting, LGBT folks should be acknowledged in the curriculum. I don't think it needs to be a separate subject because there's not really that much to teach that can't be integrated into the rest of the curriculum.

I don't think it's possible to compare the two like that, because there are so relatively few same-sex couples that parent.

Yes, because marriage is a basic civil right that the government cannot deny unless it has a compelling reason to do so. Homophobia is not a compelling reason.

I think they're treated too much like soft drinks and game shows and not enough like complicated, diverse groups of human beings.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2010, 5:13 am

This tounge-in-cheek list says it all, really:

Quote:
10 Reasons Why Gay Marriage is Wrong

01) Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.

02) Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.

03) Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.

04) Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.

05) Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Britany Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.

06) Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.

07) Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.

08) Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we have only one religion in America.

09) Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.

10) Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.

Re-post this if you believe love makes a marriage.

Magritte
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Sep 2010, 5:33 am

The only people who don't believe in gay rights are über conservative Christians who believe in the "old fashioned way" of doing things.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2010, 6:14 am

Carnione wrote:

Yes, and not just because society would view them differently. People enjoy there being a difference between men and women (as with many other of the divisions we raise) - not merely believe or accept that such difference exists, actively enjoy, as a society - and always will, so FF, MF and MM relationships will always be different things. I suspect that'd be the case even if we had sex-change-at-will Culture style.
Quote:

As a subset of the more general "an it harm none, do what ye will" approach I'd like to see - an approach which would of course be much more concerned with stamping out religiously motivated unpleasant behaviour.
Quote:

Overall, better, because the overall standard of hetero parenting is extremely low - in large part down to the aforementioned religiously motivated unpleasant behaviour - and gay people able to indulge in the luxury of same-sex parenting will generally be living in more liberal parts of the world. By comparison with hetero- partnerships or single parents in similar areas, lower, mainly because "more liberal" doesn't mean "liberal."
Quote:

Marriage, no, there's nothing that annoys me more than the sight of homo- couples mindlessly aping hetero- style white weddings. Union, certainly.
Quote:

Mainly that every perpetrator of the camp stereotype should be rounded up, put in a field and bombed, starting with Alan Carr.

The year is still young.

forestg
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Sep 2010, 10:22 am

Black people had slave ships, treated worse than animals, with no rights.

And we're still having discusions about who gets rights? don't know if i'm taking this the right way? how about equal rights so no 1 gets treated like their different, but with the likes of the church discriminating in the bible, and people of all colours still discriminating, using it, whats going on? shouldn't the slave ships and nazis have taught us a few lessons? yet the same conversations still creep up every where.

I'v probably gone off topic, if so, please ignore, just my grumble.

When people have to repress their feeling, thats when things go wrong, like guns etc

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2010, 12:30 pm

I believe a child raised in a same sex environment is more likely to be accepting of others' sexual orientation, but that's about it.

Exactly what do you mean by this? You cannot 'teach' someone to be gay, bisexual, or transgendered.

Neither. Children need a loving and stable environment to thrive. The people providing that is really beside the point.

Yes, but for now I am content to fight for marriage equality locally.

How they're portrayed or whether they're equally represented?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

05 Sep 2010, 1:50 pm

Descartes wrote:
richardbenson wrote:
True, but that doesn't mean we should just sit back and let people suffer because of who they are.
i guess im just not intrested in being a activist :shrug: