no 65%  65%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 23

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 5:14 pm

Ackman wrote:
The USA is still a great country.

Indeed, it still maintains a land mass of 3.537 million square miles.

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 10:16 pm

Ackman wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And I thought North Americans had no sense of irony...

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!

SuperApsie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Sep 2010, 10:25 pm

Ackman wrote:
Yes. We stood by them in their hours of need(i.e WWI WWII) It's a shame that so many people today are taught to hate this country, especially here in America itself.

I think more US citizen should travel abroad to understand why, rather than relying on a self-righteous virgin idealized vision of a country

Quote:

As a matter of fact, Yes it is

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 5:36 am

MissConstrue wrote:
Why should any country stand by our side? We've done most of the terrorizing around the world. I'm afraid it's a little too late for us to gain the respect we once had.

Other than that yes the times are hard, I wish americans would stop scapegoating eachother DO something about it. I'm getting really sick and tired of all the hate and blaming. It ceases to amaze me when people sit on their ass and whine about how horrible those liberals are and what a horrible president we have. Be great if there were more innovations and ideas about how we can change the intricacies in both our political and economic policies in our government but no that would require some effort and work.

*shrug*

People like Glen Beck et. al. make a good living stirring up hatred and division. Get U.S. Americans to hate and blame each other, and the government and Big Business are free to do as they please. No jobs in the economy? THE MEXICANS ARE TAKING OUR JAWBS!! !! !! Divorce rate too high? HOMOSEXUALS R DESTRYOYING MARRIAGE!! !

There's no money to be made in encouraging people to think. The political dialog in this (my) country is generally comprised of uneducated half-wits yelling at each other, demonizing each other, and pulling accusations out of their collective bums while tauting ideologies that they got from reading bumperstickers. It easier and more fun to root for your "team." The media likes to pour gas on the fire to keep folks nice and distracted from real problems.

I keep hoping my compatriots are going to realize that people like Glen Beck don't actually give a sh!t about the country and are just in the game to make money for themselves, but, alas, no such luck. Keep scarfing those Big Macs and circuses, America.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 7:33 am

Ackman wrote:
Yes. We stood by them in their hours of need(i.e WWI WWII) It's a shame that so many people today are taught to hate this country, especially here in America itself.

Lets be accurate. Roosevelt stood by the nations of Europe in their hour of need. (Lend Lease was an awesome assist.) The men who crossed the Atlantic to join the air forces of other nations stood by the nations of Europe. The rest of America couldn't have cared less until the Japanese got involved and Germany declared war on the US. After that, public opinion in the US did more to influence military strategy than any military planning ever did, and actually prolonged the war by at least 6 months to a year. So the "opinion" of a nation of people who couldn't find most of Europe on a map was used to dictate vitally important targets of attack that changed the face of Europe for decades.

As for the first war.. when exactly DID that start? Turning up two years late after a surprise attack and the sudden realisation that the US might get attacked (from Mexico in this instance) and then getting even more men killed by refusing to listen to or subordinate to the officers who had spent years learning the best ways to get murdered en masse and were only then affecting solutions that prevented that...its not really all that helpful and it hardly reads as "standing by" anyone. And public opinion also dictated this too, at a point where many US citizens were of divided loyalties amongst the European states.

Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 8:54 am

Last edited by Mike1 on 23 Sep 2010, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

judyfox
Raven
Raven

19 Sep 2010, 9:44 am

What are your oppinons on the third world?

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 10:37 am

This is pretty much nationalism at its finest. Empty slogans with almost no substantive content or specificity. What the hell does "stand by the USA" mean? Does it mean trade with them (which Mexico and Canada a lot of, as well as other countries to a lesser extent). Does it me support reckless military adventures? Does it mean toning down some of the stereotypes of Americans' as being self-righteous and ignorant of the world around them? Does it mean helping them shaft the Third World (which a lot of developed countries actually do)? What the hell does the statement "stand by America" mean and what is "America"? Before you clarify this I cannot answer the poll question.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 6:57 pm

The Americas? north, America, South America, Cetral America, Or one one the many countries within? Which america?

judyfox
Raven
Raven

20 Sep 2010, 6:57 am

Certain people on WP makes people with AS look like idiots; that don't understand anything. :roll:

judyfox wrote

Quote:
The alliance of the American government should stand by this country; during these hard times for the united states. The united states stand side by side different countries, as a simple favor the American government ask if the rest of the world would do the same for us now

Even the bit of common sense; would of point the reader to; united states.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 5:11 am

I remember when 9/11 happened I was very pleased that Tony Blair said what he said about America. I think at that time it was very important for America to feel it had friends and countries that would stand by them.

Also I think the western world should have realized that 9/11 was not an attack on America (although it happened on American soil). It was an attack on the western world.

judyfox
Raven
Raven

23 Sep 2010, 7:12 am

do anyone else have any thing to add.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 4:55 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Hi, you English not good. Please write more better less bad.

Whatever.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 5:00 pm

judyfox wrote:
What are your oppinons on the third world?

It's a sad state of affairs and things could be better overall with a smaller global population.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson