Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 7:36 pm

Ok, so I noticed there are quite a few squirrels on campus that are practically domesticated, so today I bought some sunflower seeds from the convienence store and went to feed them. Well, they were getting really close and so I held out my hand w/ a few seeds to one of the squirrels, and he bit my finger. It wasn't a solid bite, it didn't even bleed, and I washed my hands immediately with the hand sanitizer dispenser from student health, but I'm still worried about what might happen disease wise. The squirrel didn't appear to be having any kind of obvious health problems, it was behaving normally, and like I said the bite was minor and didn't cut skin. Should I be worried?

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 7:58 pm

Probably not. It wouldn't hurt to get a tetanus jab if you haven't had one in the last few years and you should probably ask your doctor whether rabies is a problem in your area.

daspie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 11:41 pm

A similar incidence happened during a practical class in first semester of MSc. We had to first put the mouse under and then take out its bone marrow. It was to be grabbed with its tail, since it is tail is not strong as that of a monkey. Mouse uses its tail only for navigating purpose. I grabbed it with its whole body and it bit be on the little finger. I didn't bother much but then we were to have a microbiology class test and I picked up a book and read about rabies and that it can be spread even by rats, lemur etc. I was so worried having delayed the treatment that I had a serious meltdown of my life. Later, I was assuaged by a professor who was overseeing the practicals who told me that the rats were not the wild ones they were inbred so it was highly unlikely that they would be carrying the rabies virus.