Blue fingers means circulation problems?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 8:51 pm

For the past couple weeks, my fingers and toes have had a really dark blue ring for the bottom half of the nails and they feel a bit tingly at random times. And I've been googling to try and figure out what it could be about, and it says lack of oxygen and circulation problems. I think I would be dead if I had a lack of oxygen for over two weeks, but I'm not even sure WHAT circulation problems are.
Anybody know or know of a good link that'll explain things to me?
I don't see myself going to a doctor anytime soon, so I'll like to retify this at home if possible.

conan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 2:09 pm

you could try going to the doctors?

it could be you are anemic and need more iron. try some supplements but be aware you may need to increase your fiber and water consumption as iron can make you constipated.

do you feel like your heart rate is higher than usual? are your toes cold? any particular position you are sitting in that may be impeding your circulation.

stress and anxiety can give you poor circulation.

Good luck.

wornlight
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Sep 2010, 2:39 pm

Possibly this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud%27s_phenomenon
Talk to your doctor in any case.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 4:36 pm

Take a prenatal vitamin, cause they are loaded with the iron and fiber in a safe dose. And get that checked, really.

Blue palms and feet can be caused by medications such as calcium channel blockers often used for high blood pressure, and any medication that depletes iron. If you're not on anything, then there's a good chance it's some sort of nervous problem or vascular problem constricting the blood flow to the hands. Either way, it does need to be checked out. While the tissue can remain alive with a lower oxygen content, the biologic processes are slowed. If they go too slow, cell death will exceed replication, which will cause gangrene and possible need for amputation.

Have I scared you enough? Seriously, run it by a GP. They can tell you if it's really an issue.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 2:00 pm

i get blue hands and feet too. i think its just bad circulation. my lips and stuff have turned blue before due to coldness but i think thats a separate thing.
its a bit strange that youve only had it the past couple of weeks:/