Never, Ever 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Only in certain situations 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 59

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 6:41 am

I'm guilty.
I usually wait until the last minute to do things that aren't on my routine. Sometimes I wait too long and the new thing never gets done - or gets done a week later (if it's even possible to do it again later).

Heck - I should be leaving for an appointment right now - it's in two hours, but it'll take me at least an hour and fifteen minutes to get there. But here I am; looking for a post to answer, and making a new one simply because I want to delay. I want to do something that feels normal before I go.. I need to fill up on normal...

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 6:55 am

I wouldn't use the word guilty. It's part of my makeup. I procrastinate a lot. I don't feel bad about it.

dryad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2010, 7:00 am

I'm procrastinating right now! :D

authormum
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Oct 2010, 7:22 am

So NT mom question here: I worry like hell about my son, who is a senior in HS and, has always had executive functioning issues, when he goes off to college next year because basically, although I've tried very hard to back off for the last few years to allow his own skills to develop, the bottom line is that between his school and me (he goes to a school for kids with LD's) he's had a lot of help with time management and assignment planning, although I still find him, despite my <strike>nagging</strike> gentle reminders, leaving things until the last possible minute because he'd rather be gaming and then rushing them instead of doing his best work.

How have you guys coped with that? Do you have tips I can give him? I've tried to train him with Google calendar, and would even splurge for an iPhone for him if I thought he would actually USE it for calendaring rather than just gaming.

alex
Developer
Developer

01 Oct 2010, 7:24 am

I'm definitely guilty of procrastination. I wish I didn't have this problem as it causes me to miss deadlines and miss out on opportunities.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Oct 2010, 8:27 am

Definitely have this problem. :( But I've found that ( on top of a gf diet this last three years ), cutting out dairy seems to make it easier for me to organise and carry out slow/longterm, mundane or not immediately fascinating, small/detailed tasks in advance of deadlines.

When I eat dairy I space out, get "high"/more "in my head" and lose interest in and ability to engage well with concrete/physical or more "boring"/long-term tasks. I find it much harder to take "real" social/cultural and/or some physical constraints/limits seriously somehow, they "fade".

But yes, it's been a problem my whole life. And I just haven't quite got fed up enough of the "dairy-spaced-out-state" ( probably caused by its food peptide opioids ) to kick it once and for all, ( whereas I had got fed up of the gluten-induced depression/black hole tendency ).

Logan5
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2010, 9:05 am

When I was younger, the main way I would procrastinate was by watching television. When my television died, it was such a liberating experience that I never got another one. Similarly, when I realised I was procrastinating by playing computer games, I deleted the games. But then the world-wide-web came along. At first, with a slow dial-up connection, it was relatively easy to control my usage. Unfortunately, these days I have a faster internet connection, and there are so many things to do on the web. :?

Anyway, I posted these links in another thread, but they may be of some interest to people reading this thread.

"The List Is Life: Finding a new way to manage my day."
By John Dickerson
http://www.slate.com/id/2231023/

"Get-It-Done Guy's 9 Steps to Work Less and Do More"
http://getitdoneguynews.com/
See also http://getitdoneguynews.com/#steverinterview .

"Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity"
http://wikisummaries.org/Getting_Things ... oductivity
See also http://www.trgtd.com.au/ .

Now if you will excuse me, there are other things I should be doing.

[Edited for typos.]

Last edited by Logan5 on 01 Oct 2010, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 10:59 am

Everyone procrastinates.

Can't be bothered with that poll now, I'll do it tomorrow :lol:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 1:34 pm

Not always, but this week I seem to be procrastinating.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 1:54 pm

I procrastinate all the time. I always wait until the last minute to get anything important done. That's what the internet will do to you. :lol:

Bluefins
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 2:53 pm

authormum wrote:
So NT mom question here: I worry like hell about my son, who is a senior in HS and, has always had executive functioning issues, when he goes off to college next year because basically, although I've tried very hard to back off for the last few years to allow his own skills to develop, the bottom line is that between his school and me (he goes to a school for kids with LD's) he's had a lot of help with time management and assignment planning, although I still find him, despite my <strike>nagging</strike> gentle reminders, leaving things until the last possible minute because he'd rather be gaming and then rushing them instead of doing his best work.

How have you guys coped with that? Do you have tips I can give him? I've tried to train him with Google calendar, and would even splurge for an iPhone for him if I thought he would actually USE it for calendaring rather than just gaming.
Well, I know for me nagging does nothing but stress / annoy / irritate me, which only makes it worse. I don't know anything that helps, though :?

authormum
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Oct 2010, 3:19 pm

Yeah, and being the nagger annoys me too... it really doesn't work all around. Plus the whole thing is I'm trying to get him to take more responsibility for his own life, because once he goes to college, I'm not going to be there to perform Executive Functioning for him.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 3:27 pm

I will let you know.

jpfudgeworth
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Oct 2010, 3:29 pm

I'm a master procraster

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 3:58 pm

I am a heinous procrastinator. I have a friend with similar skills to me, he is always doing things, whereas I am doing them..occasionally. I need some type of strong motivation like fear or enthusiasm to get me going. I find if I'm tired my procrastination is way worse, fortunately last night I had a good sleep.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 11:24 pm

I procrastinate a lot of the time, then sometimes I start something as early as I possibly can... then finish it later. So, I usually don't put it ALL off until the last minute. About 1/2 or 2/3 or 3/4 of it. Maybe 4/5 sometimes...