Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Cicero
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Oct 2010, 11:21 am

I diagnosed myself with Asperger's this weekend. I had been seeing and hearing things about the disease or personality characteristic for some time, and started to think how some of it sounded like me. I felt like it was there for me, but I circled around it for a while and then I got the Attwood book and that confirmed my initial impression. I am a 51 year old married man. I am financially successful programming computers. When reading the diagnostic criteria, I noted the 'little professor' stuff. As child I was once told I had been bullied and ostracized from the kids at camp because I 'talked different' maybe like an adult. This struck me as a poor reason for hassling someone. My dad was a PHD in physics, and I think he has ASP too, and I attributed my white collar vocabulary in a blue collar neighborhood to that until I read Attwood.

I had the requisite physical awkwardness, unable to catch a ball, and was picked last or second to last in informal sports games with neighborhood kids. I also keyed off the attribute of having encyclopedic knowledge of something, unusual for a child. At the age of 10 or under, I had memorized and could draw diagrams of certain molecules like the plastic lexan. This did not translate into academic success, though. I read lord of the rings in grade school, and more than anything, I wanted that to be the world I lived in--I read it a number of times and had encyclopedic knowedge of it.

And from a standpoint of personal pain, I recalled the social awkwardness. The knowledge that people got angry at me, and I had no idea why. I will wrap up with one quick story--the event that I considered the first shot fired in the educational system's war against me. In kindergarten, someone brought some chicks in (baby chickens) I was fascinated and full of joy looking at them All of a sudden, the teacher pulled me aside and made me sit in the corner while the rest of the kids played with the chicks. She said that I had been pushing the other kids out of the way or something, and my sadness, shame, and disappointment was joined with my puzzlement that I had been feeling joy and no animosity towards anyone and I had somehow done something wrong.

School was a hellish ordeal for me and my mother until high school when I manged to fit in to the point of enjoying it.

And just the other night, maybe a week before I got the book and decided it fit, I had been imagining that I was a member of some alien race of beings and I was spending time on earth, almost never meeting another of my kind, and hoping that after my body dies I would be reunited with those who would accept and value me. Now I dismissed this as silly thinking for an adult, but when I saw the phrase 'wrong planet' in asp literature, I found it astonishing. Not only are many people uncomfortable with me, I believe I see somethings far more deeply than most people, and I rarely find someone who I can have an interesting discussion with.

So, its good for me to understand my social discomfort--if not disability--will never go away, and I can start to let myself off the hook for all the blundering I have done over the years. I have lots more to share, but just wanted to show why I self-diagnosed, and why I come here.

Last edited by Cicero on 10 Oct 2010, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James0Zero
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Oct 2010, 11:40 am

Quote:
I diagnosed myself with Asperger's this weekend. I had been seeing and hearing things about the disease or personality characteristic for some time

Not a disease... But other than that I can completely relate my friend.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'"-George Carlin

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 1:32 pm

Willkommen!

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 2:28 pm

Welcome!

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 5:18 pm

Welcome!

Dr_Horrible
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Oct 2010, 5:25 pm

Greetings. Even though I'm newer than yourself, I would just want to say I think it is great that you have made yourself a successful life. I am worried for children who are diagnosed with Asperger's (or autism) today, as they might be marked for life for behaviours that characterised them as small.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 5:44 pm

Hello and welcome greetings to the Wrong Planet community, Cicero.

Cicero
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Oct 2010, 6:42 pm

Dr_Horrible wrote:
Greetings. Even though I'm newer than yourself, I would just want to say I think it is great that you have made yourself a successful life. I am worried for children who are diagnosed with Asperger's (or autism) today, as they might be marked for life for behaviours that characterised them as small.

I would think things are better than ever. A school psycologist assigned to determine why I was an 'underachiever' officially determined that I was lazy. My dad wrote me off at that point. Reading materials today, I can see that regarding my struggles, just about everything was done the wrong way.

But maybe the diagnosis overly shapes expectations as you suspect--I have no way of knowing.

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 9:49 pm

Hello and welcome to WP!