UltraMetabolism (if you're trying to reduce inflammation)

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

HopeGrows
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In exactly the right place at exactly the right time.

10 Oct 2010, 8:49 pm

First, I'm not selling anything here, and I'm in no way connected with UltraMetabolism or this diet's author, Dr. Mark Hyman, MD.

I've used it for well over a year, and it's awesome. I initially started UltraMetabolism because I was having a problem with one of my knees. I also was just feeling kind of "fuzzy" mentally, and I stumbled across a program on public television that featured Dr. Hyman. His information, theories, and credentials made enough sense to me to give it a try.

The focus of this diet is to reduce inflammation in the body, because the benefits of reducing inflammation in the body are numerous and significant. The problem with my knee is gone, the fuzziness is gone, I have a ton of energy, and I feel really, really good. I was carrying around a few extra pounds, and they just flew off. When I was content with how I looked and felt, I decided I'd just continue on because it just didn't make sense to introduce all the lousy foods back into my diet (another benefit of this diet is that you really don't crave the crappy, lousy, loaded with garbage ingredients food you've been used to putting in your body). To my surprise, I kept getting smaller and smaller, til (I think) I just kind of reached my optimal, natural body weight....go figure.

Anyway, while the physical impact has been great, I just feel so great physically. I really recommend this program. The soft cover book of the diet can be found at Border's for like $15, so it's not a huge investment if you want to give it a try. Good luck.

UltraMetabolism

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 10:31 pm

Oh, I didn't realize the book was so affordable. I've been on Dr. Hyman's e-mail list for a few years now and he was selling Ultrametabolism but I couldn't afford what he was selling online so I ignored it. I think I'll pick up the book, though. Thanks!

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

HopeGrows
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 11:10 pm

I kinda hate to admit it, but I bought the materials from the program I saw on PBS from Amazon. PBS wanted like $360 for the detox program, the book, and a cookbook - cause it was fund raising for PBS, of course. Amazon wanted less than $50, so....Amazon it was (I sent $25 to PBS later....I felt quite guilty).

I've probably bought five or six copies of the soft cover book and given them as gifts to people who were suffering from things like irritable bowel syndrome, diabetes, high cholesterol, arthritis - and every one of them has seen significant improvement. I just can't say enough about this program. When you read the science behind it, it all just makes so much sense.

Anyway @Sparrowrose, good luck. Let me know if you need a few additional recipes (the cookbook is pretty cool, too).

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 11:45 pm

Is the food expensive? I put my diabetes into complete remission on a raw food diet but eventually I went broke and couldn't keep it up and my diabetes came back when I went back to cooked beans, whole non-gluten grains, and vegetables. I need a diet/lifestyle that heals diabetes and PCOS and can be afforded on food stamps.

HopeGrows
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 12:39 pm

I'll write a longer response tonight with more info, but there is no special food (all stuff you can buy at a grocery store).

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 12:45 pm

well, the raw food diet was all stuff I could buy at the grocery store, too. Carrots, bananas, kale, peaches, etc. But it literally quadrupled my grocery bill to eat only produce.

I just got food stamps so I can buy more food but I still wouldn't be able to afford to go back on 100% raw food. Which is frustrating because it made my blood sugar, cholesterol, blood pressure, etc. all perfectly normal for the time I was eating that way. I still eat "healthy food" -- not processed, all vegan, whole foods -- but my diabetes came back and is worse than before now. And I can't take the medication for it and still function. So I'm getting really frustrated with my body and with food and with my low income.

I'm going to check ultrametabolism out of my local library and see what it says. (I went to my library's web site and they have it.)

HopeGrows
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 9:54 pm

Dr. Hyman's approach is really geared toward balancing your body's glycemic load, and lowering inflammation. He advocates eating lots of whole foods, but not all vegetarian and not all raw. He offers lots of different recipes, and there are definitely ways to eat cheaper using his plan. Because he's very focused on balancing the body's glycemic load at each meal and snack, he combines lots of different foods to keep your blood sugar balanced. For example, a snack of fruit might send your sugar through the roof, but a snack of fruit and almonds keeps it level and provides tons of good energy.

If you're not a Costco member currently, you may want to think about joining. They have really good deals on produce (fresh and frozen....I don't think we could live without their frozen berries in my house); their egg whites are consistently the lowest priced around, and they also have great deals on fresh/frozen fish and chicken.

I don't know if you're taking any supplements right now (and you should check with your MD before you start taking any), but chromium picolinate and cinnamon have both been getting a lot of attention for helping diabetics control blood sugar. You many want to consider doing some research to see if they might work for you.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 10:06 pm

I picked up the book at the library this afternoon.

HopeGrows wrote:
Dr. Hyman's approach is really geared toward balancing your body's glycemic load, and lowering inflammation. He advocates eating lots of whole foods, but not all vegetarian and not all raw.

If I can't be vegetarian, I can't follow his program. :-(

Quote:
If you're not a Costco member currently, you may want to think about joining. They have really good deals on produce (fresh and frozen....I don't think we could live without their frozen berries in my house); their egg whites are consistently the lowest priced around, and they also have great deals on fresh/frozen fish and chicken.

I took a "field trip" to Costco with an acquaintance who has a membership. I brought my price book (I record prices of foods from the register receipts so I have a concrete record of how much food costs and can look at my price book while shopping to see if something is a good deal or not.) and everything there either cost the same as I pay elsewhere or was more expensive. The only thing that was cheaper was romaine lettuce and it's not worth it to me to pay $50/year plus drive an extra eight miles just to get 50 cents off on Romaine lettuce.

Quote:
I don't know if you're taking any supplements right now (and you should check with your MD before you start taking any), but chromium picolinate and cinnamon have both been getting a lot of attention for helping diabetics control blood sugar. You many want to consider doing some research to see if they might work for you.

The only thing chromium picolinate ever did for me was give me constipation. It never affected my fat levels or blood sugar levels. You have to be careful with cinnamon because there are two species of cinnamon and the one that is easy to get in the stores is useless - it's the other species that's been shown to have positive blood sugar effects and it's quite expensive and can be difficult to find.

I take D because I can't get enough of it any other way and I take a sublingual B-complex with B12 in it because that's the only nutrient that's not present in the foods I eat.

Quote:
Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks. I finished reading section 1 and have just started section 2. The only things I see so far that I'm not doing are the animal foods that I won't eat anyway so I'm not sure how much my diet will change as a result of reading the book. But I'm still less than half-way through it yet, so I'll wait and see what information awaits later in the book.