does Broader Autism Phenotype fall under PDD-NOS?

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

NullChamber
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Oct 2010, 12:03 am

http://www.brighthub.com/mental-health/ ... 63010.aspx

this link says it does. i was kind of surprised.. is this accurate? i'm confused now.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 12:55 am

this article does not sound credible.

for example

Quote:
Many believe broader autism phenotype to be a pervasive development disorder. However, this is untrue and broader autism phenotype falls under the pervasive development disorder not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS).

BAP could not both not be a pervasive developmental disorder and be a pervasive developmental disorder.

someone did two seconds of (internet, secondary source) research and extrapolated, not having any clue of the subject matter they were writing about.

NullChamber
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Oct 2010, 1:20 am

guess i missed that!, lol.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 2:22 am

I think all ASD's were moved under the umbrella of PDD... which ironically was my original diagnosis :D.

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 3:04 am

BAP is just a term to define people who have some autistic characteristic, mainly in families where there is an autistic person , it's more like a way to say "yes, there are not autistic people in this family but look, more and more autistic characteristics as the years passes.".

I do not think it can be consider as being a PDD because there are not enough characteristics for that.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 2:27 pm

I don't think so. BAP just means someone has autistic traits but not enough to be on the spectrum. Heck I wonder if its even possible to have lot of traits and still not be on it because you are missing one thing you need to be on it. I am sure it is since one of my online friends told me her dad has lot of them but he is lacking the lack of social skills. That would sure not make you be on it.

Or just imagine a whole family, cousins, aunts and uncles, and they all have traits but put them all together, they fall onto the autism spectrum but each of them isn't on it. That would depend on what characteristics they have.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 3:02 pm

League_Girl wrote:
IOr just imagine a whole family, cousins, aunts and uncles, and they all have traits but put them all together, they fall onto the autism spectrum but each of them isn't on it. That would depend on what characteristics they have.

That's my husband's family. And my family. They got "put all together" when we had a child and that is probably why she is autistic. Although she is a unique individual, I can see bits and pieces of each trait in different members of both families including myself.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 5:53 pm

My impression is that BAP is autistic non-disorder (you have autistic traits, but these traits don't cause impairment - or at least relevant impairment).

In another words, while ASD/PDD are considered disorders/diseases/disabilities, BAP is more a personality difference. And, when the author of the article writes about "individuals suffering from broader autism phenotype" or "unfortunately, this disorder is more or less a permanent", this mean that he/she does not make an idea of what BAP is supposed to be.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 5:56 pm

Yep. Not the first idea. Somebody needs to re-do their research.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 6:06 pm

The article says BAP does fall under PDD-NOS but it isn't as severe but can cause problems getting along with other people or restricted interests. The article is confusing because it says BAP is not a PDD but is a PDD-NOS. It's commonly known as Atypical Autism and applies to those who cannot recieve a diagnosis of PDD-NOS or AS.

DeadpanDan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Oct 2010, 7:52 pm

Some institutions fit it under PDD-NOS, others don't.

Some see it as a "real" disorder, whereas others see it as that place where ASD meets normality, and they live happily together without impairment. I'm assuming it's all to do with the population each institution sees.

NullChamber
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Nov 2010, 1:38 am

DeadpanDan wrote:
Some institutions fit it under PDD-NOS, others don't.

Some see it as a "real" disorder, whereas others see it as that place where ASD meets normality, and they live happily together without impairment. I'm assuming it's all to do with the population each institution sees.

interesting!

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2020, 10:00 pm

If it is just a personality trait, can personality disorders also be a form of developmental disorders?

Can Autism Personality Disorder exist ( a form of Autism that is more mild than Asperger's Syndrome ), so that even more will be considered to be on the Autism Spectrum ?

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2020, 10:03 pm

Over time, the diagnostic criteria for Autism will change so much to the point were anyone with BAP will soon consider to have some kind of rare form of Pervasive Developmental Disorder or even undiagnosed Atypical Autism

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2020, 11:17 pm

FranzOren wrote:
Over time, the diagnostic criteria for Autism will change so much to the point were anyone with BAP will soon consider to have some kind of rare form of Pervasive Developmental Disorder or even undiagnosed Atypical Autism

I actually think the opposite. Because life is evolving, there will come a point where those with HFA will fall under normal and no longer be autistic because their traits would be acceptable now. It is now cool to be the strange kid. This is based on from what I have been reading and how it's now okay to be weird.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2020, 11:40 pm

BAP is like you have some autistic traits and similarites to autistic people but you don't have enough to be considered autistic. PDD-nos is where they put you when you don't Fit either Autistic disorder or Asperger's syndrome. Also Rett's and CDD. So no BAP wouldn't fit on it. PDD-nos is for people who don't fit the catagory but are autistic.