Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

probly.an.aspie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2015, 7:37 am

I didn't have any major birth complications per se, but i was affected differently than most women, by the drugs given me during labor. I knew nothing about aspergers at the time i had my kids, and even less about aspies reacting differently to meds. i was very sensitive to the synthetic morphine (nubain, not sure if it is still commonly used but it was then) given me during the birth of my first child. It took away any pain tolerance i had and put me in lala land somewhere. For a few hrs, i didn't even remember i was having a baby.

After that experience, i requested a smaller dose when it was offered during labor with my 2nd child and it was much better. Took the edge off the pain but my brain was still intact. I would recommend being aware that your med reactions might be different and talk to the midwife or dr beforehand and give them a heads up. During labor you are obviously not always in control of all your faculties and since aspies face difficulties communicating anyway--obviously labor tends to make this worse! :)