Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 1:21 pm

Silver_Meteor wrote:
Does anyone else notice that these kinds of videos seem to have a theme of deliberately milking the parents' misery for all its worth?

Oh, I've noticed. Joseph Goebbels would be proud of them. With enough videos like this, the public will be persuaded we are all "savage", "useless", and good for nothing but causing misery to others. Hmm, I wonder what happens then...

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 2:26 pm

theWanderer wrote:
Silver_Meteor wrote:
Does anyone else notice that these kinds of videos seem to have a theme of deliberately milking the parents' misery for all its worth?

Oh, I've noticed. Joseph Goebbels would be proud of them. With enough videos like this, the public will be persuaded we are all "savage", "useless", and good for nothing but causing misery to others. Hmm, I wonder what happens then...

My prediction: "Oh, no! Let's get some genocide weapons!" Next, some well-meaning NT's protest against the genocide movement but epic fail, and we attempt to protest in their place. One of us ends up getting killed, though...probably me. I'm not good in fights unless it is in an RPG.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 5:41 pm

There will be no genocide of Auties, even a quiet, nay, 'accidental' genocide. Do not fear.

If they try crap like that, the world will soon know. It's time we fightback using their toolkit. Attack ads? Check. Organizations that wield large funding, this time aiming to make things better for autistic people rather than searching for a way to cure them? Check. Celebrity endorsements? Well... if you can find any. 8)

It's time we go on the offsensive, rather than staying on the defensive.

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 6:02 pm

Magneto wrote:
There will be no genocide of Auties, even a quiet, nay, 'accidental' genocide. Do not fear.

If they try crap like that, the world will soon know. It's time we fightback using their toolkit. Attack ads? Check. Organizations that wield large funding, this time aiming to make things better for autistic people rather than searching for a way to cure them? Check. Celebrity endorsements? Well... if you can find any. 8)

It's time we go on the offsensive, rather than staying on the defensive.

:thumleft:

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

AsIndsigt
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Dec 2010, 5:41 am

of course there will be such a genocide.

its happening right now to people with downs syndrome. live births are down 90% rest killed off.

no one cares. apparently

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 7:55 am

Did no-one stand up for those with Down Syndrome (I'd call them Downies as shorthand, but I don't know if they'd find it insulting...)? Whyever not? Did they not have the toolkit required? Mmmm.

Anyone want to fund an attack ad?

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 1:15 pm

AsIndsigt wrote:
of course there will be such a genocide.

its happening right now to people with downs syndrome. live births are down 90% rest killed off.

no one cares. apparently

Not enough people care. Yes, it is depressing. Yes, it is frustrating. Yes, it is infuriating. But we have two choices. We can sit back, let it keep happening to others and wait for it to happen to us - or we can do our best to fight it.

I know how I hope things turn out, but however they do work out, I want to at least know that I've done all I could. Not that I have the resources to do much, but I do refuse to look the other way, either.

===================

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 1:19 pm

Magneto wrote:
Did no-one stand up for those with Down Syndrome (I'd call them Downies as shorthand, but I don't know if they'd find it insulting...)? Whyever not? Did they not have the toolkit required? Mmmm.

Anyone want to fund an attack ad?

If I had funds, I'd love to spend them that way. As it is, those of us who are - mostly - shoved out to the margins of society are not likely to be well endowed with money.

Those of us with talent in various areas can still do what we can. I know almost nothing about video, which frustrates me, but with my vision problems, I just don't think I'll ever be very great at such a visual medium. But if I knew enough to do it, I'd flood YouTube with videos, ones that I'd done my best to ensure would go viral. And I'd promote the heck out of them.

That is one thing all of us can do - if one of us creates something with a worthwhile message, the rest of us can promote it online. Maybe, sooner or later, someone will listen.

===================

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 6:21 am

Aha, I know a guy with Aspergers who's very, very, interested in filming... I might be able to get him to help...? Oh, and I know another guy who is very likely to have Aspergers (don't know if he's ever been Dx'ed, though...) who's into film making. Also, my brother's doing music and film production, and there's apparently quite a few Aspies on his course... there's plenty of Aspies who can make good video's, it seems.

If we don't do anything, they'll continue in the belief that they can make people…better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave.

Yes, I am very much reminded of Serenity... the metaphor is unlikely to be intentional, but in their attempts to make people better, they drug them into total submission, or drive some of them over the edge of madness...

Construct the attack ads, spread them on youtube, and we might be able to scrape enough together for a few run on the TV - and the ensuing legal fee's we can expect...

ElfMusic

03 Dec 2010, 12:11 pm

theWanderer wrote:
So, if you're going to be a parent, you ought to accept you could end up with anything. If you aren't prepared for that, don't have kids.

I completely agree and wish that more people would figure that out.

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 4:51 pm

The same old song: autism is the parents' affliction... :roll:

What if one on the spectrum made a similar video and told about his / her afflictions in a similar manner? Talking in the same complaining way about how hard it is to live in an NT world with an NT family who doesn't understand you, all the sensory stuff etc.? And called it: "Neurotypicalism - The pain of children", or: "Autism - the pain of having NT parents".
That could be interesting....... what people would say to that..........

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 10:19 pm

AnnePande wrote:
The same old song: autism is the parents' affliction... :roll:

What if one on the spectrum made a similar video and told about his / her afflictions in a similar manner? Talking in the same complaining way about how hard it is to live in an NT world with an NT family who doesn't understand you, all the sensory stuff etc.? And called it: "Neurotypicalism - The pain of children", or: "Autism - the pain of having NT parents".
That could be interesting....... what people would say to that..........

I'd love to see someone do that. :lol:

===================

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2010, 4:00 pm

It's also kind of ironic that we at first hear this scream and see this unhappy child crying, obviously in pain!, and then the text: "Autism, the pain of parents" comes up! :x

And that thing: "what we consider a normal life, marriage, children..."
Hmmm....... then they have also stigmatized all single and childless people in the world, be it voluntarily or involuntarily! (that they are single / childless, I mean). Those people are not normal either... :roll: Well done! :(
And if one of these children one day should want marriage or kids, some of those people surely would be there to tell them that they "ought not to"!
(BTW it doesn't seem like it's always pure happiness anyway, alone seen out from this video... but that doesn't matter, as long as it's "normal" - but obviously the Religion of Normality also has got its own kind of martyrdom. 8) )

And "almost an object rather than a person"?! You're only a person if you talk a lot and look people in the eye?

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2010, 4:17 pm

frag wrote:
And it's terrible how the mom says there is almost no one in her kid. They accuse us for not having a theory of mind, but where is theirs?

Stupid arses.
What a very VERY good point.

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2010, 11:20 am

well they missed the worst pain of all.......

The PAIN of dealing with all the people you have to deal with. I would happily sit home with my kid(he has to function better and I know they'll help him so I do it) but I get to go to IEP meetings that last 5 solid hours(the pain of holding it for 5 hours and not eating when your blood sugar is dropping) The pain of dealing with people you'd rather never meet and the pain of listening to insurance company agents..........and their crummy hold music

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2010, 2:53 pm

BroncosRtheBest wrote:
You know what I noticed in this video? Take, for example, the black woman. "I can't do what I want to do or live how I want to live because I have to stay home and take care of this child." That's generally the tone of the other parents as well; it's nothing but pure selfishness.

That's called "looking after a child." Normal or otherwise, it involves sacrificing great chunks of your "life" for the sake of another being. I get the distinct impression some of these people would moan and complain about any child, what with them being such a drain on resources and such a user of precious time...