People who use AS as an excuse for being jerks.

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

hey_there
Toucan
Toucan

21 Aug 2014, 3:50 am

Ok well, people with autism are almost never rude to others on purpose. If someone is rude/mean on purpose and just says they have AS, that would be considered using AS as an excuse, and by doing so they are giving autistics a bad reputation. I think it would be a good idea if someone with AS said something like "I'm sorry I offended you, I'm autistic. Thank you for letting me know what I did/said is offensive, it helped me to learn" If they are familiar with autism I'm thinking they would understand, but if they think you're just using autism as an excuse...... fine, what the heck ever! :roll:

Unfortunately, the part of the brain that makes you know if something is rude/offensive doesn't have a switch that can be flipped on simply by being aware you have autism.

The_Gimp
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Aug 2014, 1:54 pm

I will say I do enjoy being honest, but sometimes I am brutally honest without realizing it, but when that occurs it is only to help the person or situation to correct itself in the future.

I don't think the overall average of people with asperger's are any more rude than someone without it.
I think the mindset of an neurotypical, looking at someone like us IS THIS: "You're suppose to look, nice, humble, weak and vulnerable" Then they don't see it coming and we throw them a curve-ball and It just backfires on them, and they say stuff like "WTF?" "What the hell is your problem?"

AmethystRose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2014, 6:34 am

The_Gimp wrote:
[. . .]
. . .one of my CBT classes I was in, along with social skills... they would teach you how to lie and how you needed to lie in certain circumstances. [. . .]

Unfortunately, they weren't teaching you lying along with or as part of teaching you social skills. Unfortunately, lying and knowing when to lie is *most of what socializing IS* for socially connected people.

See this 20 minute TEDglobal talk (Link ) for more depressing info on lying... :/

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 12:12 pm

AmethystRose wrote:
The_Gimp wrote:
[. . .]
. . .one of my CBT classes I was in, along with social skills... they would teach you how to lie and how you needed to lie in certain circumstances. [. . .]

Unfortunately, they weren't teaching you lying along with or as part of teaching you social skills. Unfortunately, lying and knowing when to lie is *most of what socializing IS* for socially connected people.

See this 20 minute TEDglobal talk (Link ) for more depressing info on lying... :/

Yeah it is depressing, so if I get accused of something I didn't do, if I say I did not, I am lying and if I don't refer someone by their name, I am lying. Pamela even implied we all do the wrong body language because we're human. Just a reason why I hate body language.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

The_Gimp
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Aug 2014, 1:11 pm

It's also the exact opposite as a child. As a child, I used to lie a lot, make up stories, exaggerate to stimulate my brain.