Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

07 Dec 2010, 11:09 pm

Back on topic tho, Glenn Beck talks about Saul Alinsky all the time. I don't know if he's specifically attacking him or trying to explain the tactics Obama is using.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 11:16 pm

Jacoby wrote:
The GOP has always had less registered voters than the Democrats so I don't think that means much. I think an interesting poll was the Gallup one they did one ideological identification. Off the top of my head I believe only 20% of American identified as liberal while 40% identified as conservative with the rest being "moderates". I reject what you're saying about the voter turnout being so low, it was about the same as 2006. It'll be higher in 2012 since it it's a presidential election but Obama's grand coalition isn't coming back. I think you'd be better served saying the democrats lost because of the high unemployment rather than low turnout.

Most of the democrats that lost this cycle were the conservative and moderate democrats that won office in the in democrat wave years. I don't see the democrats making many overtures to get those voters back like Clinton's triangulation did in 96. I think voters will likely be looking to stick it the establishment once again and I don't see the democrats offering much of an alternative in that regard.

Now there could be a ton of game changers but there is pretty much 0 chance the Democrats retain the senate or to recapture the house. I think the GOP would have to essentially beat themselves to lose to Obama in 2012.(nominating Sarah Palin or a third party revolt against an establishment candidate.) As for impeachment, I don't really think that would necessarily backfire if it was merited by Obama doing something really illegal and not just lying about banging some intern.

An Obama victory doesn't really require the re-formation of the "Grand Coalition" of 2008, marginal increase in the Hispanic vote and Youth vote could help him. But unemployment was definitely the root cause of the Democrats' woes and ensured many of his '08 base stayed home (i.e. African Americans, the Youth, etc).

The basic game changer I see is an oppositional Republican House distrupting public policy to the point where it hurts them or motivates some apathetic Democrats to get to the polls in 2012. If the Democrats run on the issue of making taxation truly progressive, it could really damage the GOP (with a much more liberal House caucus, there's a chance we'll hear more about that issue).

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 12:22 am

Master_Pedant wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Didn't Sean Hannity first bring this up in late 2007, early 2008?

Hannity likely didn't make mention of Alinsky's influence on the Tea Partisans.

I think he did, in fact tea partiers got the book saying that it was time to study up on Democrat tactics, and beat the Dems at their own game.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 12:26 am

Inuyasha wrote:
I think he did, in fact tea partiers got the book saying that it was time to study up on Democrat tactics, and beat the Dems at their own game.

I see - reversing tactics to empower to poor in order to serve the conservative aristocracy. Really ingenius and devious strategem.

I'll hand it to the far-right - you sure know how to innovate after the Southern Strategy stopped working so well.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 12:31 am

@ Master_Pedant

Only difference is we don't need to use lies. We see through your class warfare, your side's lies, etc.

The fact that all we have to do is point out how you have abused power, the elitism, etc. and the beauty of it all, we only have to tell the truth.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 12:33 am

Inuyasha wrote:
@ Master_Pedant

Only difference is we don't need to use lies. We see through your class warfare, your side's lies, etc.

The fact that all we have to do is point out how you have abused power, the elitism, etc. and the beauty of it all, we only have to tell the truth.

Yeah, like the "truth" that Obama was born in Kenya or the "truth" that Obama didn't cut taxes for most Americans. The Con-Artists of the GOP work in distortions and lies, pure 'n simple.

If the DLCocrat Establishment actually decided to base their campaign on "class warfare" or working class populism rather than the incoherent, feckless strategy the Centrecrats push, the Democrats would have supermajorities in both the Senate and House.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 1:17 am

Master_Pedant wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
@ Master_Pedant

Yeah, like the "truth" that Obama was born in Kenya or the "truth" that Obama didn't cut taxes for most Americans. The Con-Artists of the GOP work in distortions and lies, pure 'n simple.

:lol:

Get your facts straight, that rumor was started by Hillary supporters, not conservatives.

Nearly all liberals, as well as a few misguided conservatives, have sought to dismiss the "birther" movement as the product of right-wing ret*ds barking up the wrong tree.

However, the entire issue of Barack Obama's eligibility was brought to the fore by lawyers acting on behalf of Hillary Rodham Clinton in 2008.

http://newsblaze.com/story/200910071521 ... story.html

Master_Pedant wrote:
If the DLCocrat Establishment actually decided to base their campaign on "class warfare" or working class populism rather than the incoherent, feckless strategy the Centrecrats push, the Democrats would have supermajorities in both the Senate and House.

They made the mistake of going after average Americans in their demonization strategy. I don't think anyone will believe the Dems to give the time of day accurately.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 2:03 am

Inuyasha wrote:
:lol:

Get your facts straight, that rumor was started by Hillary supporters, not conservatives.

Nearly all liberals, as well as a few misguided conservatives, have sought to dismiss the "birther" movement as the product of right-wing ret*ds barking up the wrong tree.

However, the entire issue of Barack Obama's eligibility was brought to the fore by lawyers acting on behalf of Hillary Rodham Clinton in 2008.

I actually did my research and that source is crap. The author is a straight up lier.

There were no "birther" lawyers acting on behalf of Clinton. Phillip J Berg was a corrupt attorney who also brought frivolous anti-government lawsuits to the supreme court regarding 9/11 conspiracies and "FEMA camps". All his suits were rejected outright. He was not hired or in any way connected to Hillary Clinton. Actually Obama had already won the nomination at the time Berg filed the bogus lawsuit challenging Obama's eligibility to run for president.

Last edited by marshall on 08 Dec 2010, 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 2:11 am

@ marshall

The source isn't lieing, it says the guy was acting on behalf of Hillary Clinton. That doesn't mean she asked this guy to do so. He was a Hillary supporter though, and a staunch liberal.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 2:20 am

Inuyasha wrote:
@ marshall

The source isn't lieing, it says the guy was acting on behalf of Hillary Clinton. That doesn't mean she asked this guy to do so. He was a Hillary supporter though, and a staunch liberal.

Don't give me that. Your source was trying to give the false impression that Berg was somehow working for Hillary, or at least campaigning for her. He did neither.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 2:26 am

marshall wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
@ marshall

Don't give me that. Your source was trying to give the false impression that Berg was somehow working for Hillary, or at least campaigning for her. He did neither.

:roll:

All I said was it was Hillary supporters, the guy was a Hillary supporter, even if he didn't work for her campaign. Stop arguing semantics.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 2:50 am

Inuyasha wrote:
marshall wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
@ marshall

:roll:

All I said was it was Hillary supporters, the guy was a Hillary supporter, even if he didn't work for her campaign. Stop arguing semantics.

You're the one playing semantics in order to defend a dishonest source.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 6:32 am

Dox47 wrote:
I don't understand the demonizing of Alinsky personally, but then again I don't care much about the source of an idea so long as it works. The whole focus on him strikes me as a red herring and lazy, especially in such a target rich environment as modern American politics where there are so many legitimate criticisms to make.

When evaluating a politician (or anyone for that matter) knowing where he is getting his ideas from is often helpful. Since Obama is a spiritual son of Saul Alinsky I assume two things about Obama:

1. He is basically anti-business
2. Being a political pragmatist he is nearly devoid of principle. Staying in power and creating a "legacy" are his main priorities.

Seeing how he folded to the Republican on the matter of tax convinces me of #2. I am semi amused at the pain and anguish of the Pinko Stinko True Believer Liberals who thought Obama was the Second Coming of the Messiah. Truly they must be disappointed.

ruveyn

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 4:33 pm

ruveyn wrote:
When evaluating a politician (or anyone for that matter) knowing where he is getting his ideas from is often helpful. Since Obama is a spiritual son of Saul Alinsky I assume two things about Obama:

1. He is basically anti-business
2. Being a political pragmatist he is nearly devoid of principle. Staying in power and creating a "legacy" are his main priorities.

Seeing how he folded to the Republican on the matter of tax convinces me of #2. I am semi amused at the pain and anguish of the Pinko Stinko True Believer Liberals who thought Obama was the Second Coming of the Messiah. Truly they must be disappointed.

ruveyn

I still think the attacks on any Alinsky "connection" are a misstep, I for one will use a good idea no matter where it came from, and would expect the same of any intelligent person. Further, Alinsky's work is useful for promoting change in general, not just change towards the left, so using it doesn't carry quite the stigma of say the "Little Red Book"; as has been pointed out even the Tea Party is using it. To my way of thinking, there are so many stronger criticisms of Obama and the Democrats that harping on their supposed use of Alinky's playbook is a ineffective and liable to backfire.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 5:07 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
after the Southern Strategy stopped working

The Southern Strategy never stopped working, I can assure you.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2010, 1:31 am

Inuyasha wrote:

Okay, so Slick Hillie's (she really ran as the more conservative Democrat in the primary) derranged supporter started a rumour that the Ultra-right of the Republican Party subsquently ate up?

Inuyasha wrote:
They made the mistake of going after average Americans in their demonization strategy. I don't think anyone will believe the Dems to give the time of day accurately.

I think you're horrendously out of touch, while Republican and Tea Party propoganda has influenced a substantial subset of the American electorate, most people are too worried about jobs or keeping their homes to get caught up in your sentimentalities and conspiracy theories. Apathetically sitting home, rather than explicitly expressing electoral disapproval, will likely be what much of the electorate does in the 2012 elections.