Many young aspies like to play with Legos? Better read this!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2006, 8:46 pm

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industrie ... htm?csp=26

The above article points to an news site about the horrors of the Lego company. Are we, as aspies, going to let this fascist stuff go on, just because we like to put things together and see how they work? There must be other toys to play with? I imagine Capsula is really good for aspies. And there's lots of other kinds of brands. But Legos? If you have a box, then throw them away and burn them all! They're moving their Connecticut production facility down to Mexico!

Go into a store near you ... pick up a box of Legos and go to the cashier ... and remember, before you do this, before to print out the article above ... with the article in hand, show it to the cashier ... and say, "You know? I have a son! But I will not allow my son to play with toys produced by a company that has just committed a crime against humanity! I and my son refuse to associate with terrorists! Goodbye!" ... And leave the lego box on the counter ... Now, I can't imagine anything more embarrassing, and do it with a lot of people around to hear your angry voice!

- Ray M -

eet_1024
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jun 2006, 10:25 pm

It's unfortunate. But I remember a time when the legos I had (and still do), were made in Denmark.

Lego is doing what it must to survive.

If you want to be angry at something, direct it to your PC and TV:
http://news.csu.edu.au/director/latestn ... te=release

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/01/ ... m=storyrhs

kc0eks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jun 2006, 11:17 pm

I cant really fault them for doing this, if they didnt, perhaps lego wouldnt exist at all. And then they lose jobs anyway...

But ya..I love Legos :) and all the similar products.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2006, 2:08 am

eet_1024 wrote:
It's unfortunate. But I remember a time when the legos I had (and still do), were made in Denmark.

Lego is doing what it must to survive.

Lego is not doing what it must to survive. By those standards, Enron did what it must to survive. Wal*Mart is doing what it must to survive.

Ben and Jerry's does what it must to survive. That's who you should be looking to ... B&J ...

Lego is doing what it is doing to increase market share. They're as bad as Walt Disney.

This idea that companies do this to survive, which may be true for a select few, allows the law to allow many companies to say this without really proving it. The law even makes bankruptcy standards easier these days. The law, and of course those "free" trade pacts like WTO and FTAA, allow this stuff to go on with almost no supported evidence. If a company simply does not want to help seniors with a pension plan just so they can save big bucks and / or try to become #1, and not #2, then they simply can threaten to move overseas. The effect? They'll turn America into a third world country. These companies won't be happy unless America is the next Mexico. Then they'll move back. That is exactly what the Republicans are currently attempting to do, in a very subtle way.

- Ray M -

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2006, 2:28 am

eet_1024 wrote:

Now, I wrote that last message before I read the article provided by the link. I would sound kind of stupid were I to change a bit of the details of my last article. Overall, though, the message stays the same. Maybe Lego is one of those select few companies who do face a bankruptcy problem, but nothing was truly said about the degree of their bankruptcy. Again, more evidence would have to be shown to convince me. Articles with lesser details like this article about the situation can be used for a purpose. Maybe Lego is not bankrupt at all, but only facing a loss. All companies face a loss more than once in their lifespans. The economy has boom and bust cycles. Maybe Lego needs to go into computer games a bit. I don't know. But moving to Mexico should not be a supported option.

The scientific aspect of the article, though, the part about electronics versus building block games, seems fair and accurate. I tend to think that repeated use of projection screens, like computers and television, can have an impact on perceptions. Then, however, I would have to blame myself, too. I spend 80% of the day on a computer. Don't like to do much else. Don't have friends. Do not care to. Even if I had friends, I would resort to my computer, turning them off. We go on vacation once a year, and even then I do tend to have a laptop with me. I may attend meetings with a local club I belong to once a month or so. The only time I don't is when I take nature treks and so forth. My computer is my friend, however.

- Ray M -

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2006, 2:31 am

kc0eks wrote:
I cant really fault them for doing this, if they didnt, perhaps lego wouldnt exist at all. And then they lose jobs anyway...

But ya..I love Legos :) and all the similar products.

People think like the way you're thinking, because they are socially conditioned to think this way. What is the actual percentage of losses Lego is facing? Do you really know those? If you do, then maybe you can decide whether or not to think this way. I do not take article contents at face value. Economies have boom and bust cycles. All companies take losses in their lifespans more than once. Maybe Lego needs to go into computer games. Hell, Phillip Morris, which isn't a typically friendly company, has gone into Beer for similar reasons.

- Ray M -

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2006, 2:55 am

I think that the legos will still remain the same, but at the same time they are offering jobs to people in countries in poorer conditions or that have a poorer economy. Sometimes it can be good to allow others to have money and to make a living outside of their homelands; I don't think it's poor labor at all if they offer a fair price to the workers. I'll still like legos no matter what since they will still be cool little toys.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2006, 5:08 pm

O_o; eh your mad about legos company moving down to mexico, yeah that makes sense ........ ah no it doesn't.

oh and about the diseny coment.
what the hell did they do wrong besides make a great video game series and join companies with pixar, and they have a reason for that. the movie industry is upgrading to 3d which they cannot do and pixar can so of course they follow the pack i would too. nobody has to follow the same route if they don't want too.

oh and i will stick up for my fav companies, music artists, characters, games, doesn't matter what they do heck when the dixie chicks said some smack about the president i still listened to their music, my family wouldn't but since when do i follow them. personally i see at freedom of speech you can say what the hell you want about anyone you want at any time. serously people bash companies, famous people, and other stuff all the time and all those three did was just that.

but to sum it up square could approve rape and i would still buy their games.

xemnas: your a sick twisted individual.
i know ^_^
xemnas: -_-

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2006, 6:02 am

Most disney toys are made in Mexico and even Disney's US employees get a bum deal when it comes to thier pay packets and benefits...................so I hear :?
Think about where disney gets the money to make all these great animated films :P .

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2006, 6:30 am

How many of you shop at Wallmart or a big chain supermarket?

How many of you wear clothes made in China?

Where is your TV manufactured - did you know that chains like Wallmart are responsible for most of the electrical goods that used to be manufactured in the USA, being moved to China?

How many of you buy the cheapest whatever instead of checking to see if it is made locally?

If you all selected locally made or grown products, companies wouldn't need to relocate their factories to Mexico.

But you could be glad it is Mexico that Legos is going to and not China. Since the more jobs that are moved to mexico, the less Mexicans will feel the need to move to the USA (legally or not) putting pressure on the USA workers.

Where did I get my info? "Fast Food nation" by Eric Schlosser. USA consumers are their own worst enemies. What they do with meat processing is down right terrifying.

MagicMike
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2006, 7:58 am

Well, the movement of LEGO to Mexico does coincide with the decline in it's overall quality (LEGO Spongebob, anyone?). That said, I still support buying used pieces at websites like Bricklink.com

jonathan79
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2006, 9:33 am

Aeturnus wrote:
Go into a store near you ... pick up a box of Legos and go to the cashier ... and remember, before you do this, before to print out the article above ... with the article in hand, show it to the cashier ... and say, "You know? I have a son! But I will not allow my son to play with toys produced by a company that has just committed a crime against humanity! I and my son refuse to associate with terrorists! Goodbye!" ... And leave the lego box on the counter ... Now, I can't imagine anything more embarrassing, and do it with a lot of people around to hear your angry voice!

I don´t quite see how this is sticking it to the Lego company and not the innocent cashier.

eipsa
Raven
Raven

07 Jul 2006, 12:04 am

There's nothing wrong with out-sourcing as long as the country in question (in this case USA) educates its population (not so sure if they do this enough though).
You have to consider what the develloped countries should devellop to? Do you really want to be in production forever? The develloped countries need to educate their populations to higher degrees and move more into devellopment/design instead of production. Leave the production to the less-develloped countries who have the cheap labour.
Don't be pissed because they're moving a production-facility, instead educate yourself further and go get a job *designing* the legos instead of a mindless machine operator job that any monkey can do. If we want the world to devellop we need to educate ourselves further, this cannot be stated enough, eventually (soon) robots will be doing *all* the production jobs and there will *only* be design jobs left. So you might as well get with it, instead of moaning about it.
Lego's are great!
(I'm from denmark, have you guessed?). If I had some technics-lego right now I would be playing with it (and I'm 33)..... :D
Support a great toy, don't be mad at lego for how the world is develloping, if everybody stops buying Lego, then there will be no Lego for all the aspies out there.. :(

Corcovado
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2006, 1:10 pm

Honestly, I don't see your point. What horror??? Everybody is doing the same thing.

You only like for US-citizens to have jobs?

I'm danish and I'm not upset though we loose more jobs than you. Most big Danish companies move abroad.

Imo Wall Mart is a lot worse. Go pick on one of your own companies!

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2006, 2:01 pm

Jetfox wrote:

what the hell did they do wrong besides make a great video game series and join companies with pixar, and they have a reason for that.

http://www.egs.edu/faculty/baudrillard/ ... mpany.html

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2006, 3:02 pm

peebo wrote:
Jetfox wrote:

what the hell did they do wrong besides make a great video game series and join companies with pixar, and they have a reason for that.

http://www.egs.edu/faculty/baudrillard/ ... mpany.html

i really don't see anythingthat bad here besides some talk of computer viruses and theme parks.
besides they made kingdom hearts and even though square-enix helped xemnas would not be character if it they didn't make this series.

xemnas: your baseing this argument on the fact that i exist.
with 2 or 3 hours of sleep yep that's the best i can come up with.
xemnas: ............
*grins*
xemnas: *rolls eyes and leaves*

oh i don't want to fight on here after fighting on drunk duck.
but i don't see a problem here. did they make a bad moive is it because axel says hell in CoM or did one of their rides kill someone.

sorry i'm clueless right now.