Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2010, 11:00 pm

HopeGrows
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In exactly the right place at exactly the right time.

19 Dec 2010, 11:09 pm

Pandora_Box wrote:
HopeGrows wrote:
Well, for someone who didn't mean to say something, you surely did say something - and something kind of mean, at that. @Hale_bopp didn't volunteer to be the subject of a thread, and she sure didn't volunteer to accept unsolicited critiques of her behavior. If you have something to say that you really think she needs to hear, I suggest that you show her the respect required to offer her your perspective privately.

Oh I understand that.

But I'm saying that in general if someone is publicly pointing out someone's behavior. That the person they are pointing to has already shown a bad image with their own words. No need to get on their case.

I understand your opinion of @Hale_bopp, but it's not an opinion that is universally shared.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2010, 11:10 pm

Yeah, because your opinion is always correct, isn't it?

HopeGrows
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2010, 11:14 pm

Mindslave wrote:
Yeah, because your opinion is always correct, isn't it?

No @Mindslave, because this isn't a debating society. It's an internet forum where people offer their opinions. That's the purpose of the forum - I kinda thought that was obvious.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2010, 11:14 pm

HopeGrows wrote:
I understand your opinion of @Hale_bopp, but it's not an opinion that is universally shared.

Obviously, you're friends with said person. But it is shared with the Op and probably with others as well. I don't think hiding words behind closed doors fixes issues.

Sometimes we need to be more open with what we think.

Now I haven't exactly said my opinion. I do agree, there has been a word of some behavior I don't agree with said person. I could say my full and honest opinion, but I'll spare that information.

HopeGrows
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2010, 11:20 pm

Pandora_Box wrote:
HopeGrows wrote:

Obviously, you're friends with said person. But it is shared with the Op and probably with others as well. I don't think hiding words behind closed doors fixes issues.

Now I haven't exactly said my opinion. I do agree, there has been a word of some behavior I don't agree with said person. I could say my full and honest opinion, but I'll spare that information.

I'm not "friends" with @hale_bopp. I don't email her or know her IRL. I do respect the fact that she makes earnest efforts to help people. That said, I don't think there's any virtue in personally attacking another member (as a matter of fact, that kind of behavior is expressly forbidden by the TOS).

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2010, 11:30 pm

So, what did hale_bopp do again? I never really got the impression that she was a bad person or anything. Did she say something bad? I must have missed something monumental, because I always had the impression that she was just insecure and confused, not rotten or self-righteous or anything. It seems like her heart is in the right place.

And when did the OP say she did something bad? I initially assumed the first post was about "Look at me, I'm so great" instead of "Look at hale_bopp, she isn't so great". Then again, I didn't read her post that was referenced.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2010, 11:33 pm

Why all the focus on Hale?... :huh:

This is just odd. I suppose it is well meaning, but still kind of ... inappropriate to call her out like such.

Her sticking around or not is up to her. Sometimes people just need to take a break from this place or she may need time to sort out her issues. I wish her the nest of luck whatever she does.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2010, 11:34 pm

Pandora_Box wrote:
HopeGrows wrote:

No, come on, lets hear your opinion. I noticed you sent me a pm several days ago saying you wanted to talk and nothing else. If you want to talk, then talk.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2010, 11:36 pm

Hey HopefulRomantic I have to agree with Aspieguy in saying this should should have been sent via PM all you managed to do is make people on WP think less of you. If you were looking to make an ass out of yourself then mission acomplished. :roll: I hope that post does not end bably for you.

Last edited by Todesking on 19 Dec 2010, 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2010, 11:40 pm

Three cheers for hale_bopp.

I think she is really nice and if there were any "cool" people here then she would be one of them

But we are all unpopular nerds and that is why we are here in the first place.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2010, 11:42 pm

Well I wouldn't say I am "nice" but I'm reasonably fair.

If people have problems and want to get well, they will get well. And I am prepared to help them. I don't bother with people who don't even try to change or improve and some people probably see that as "not nice".

Oh well, each to their own. I'm pretty sure i know what Pandora Box is whining about and it's probably not true.

HopefulRomantic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2010, 12:44 am

ApsieGuy wrote:
HopefulRomantic wrote:
ApsieGuy wrote:
HopefulRomantic wrote:
[b]

Hale_Bopp:

Earlier today I read a post you wrote in which you stated the reason you don't post here anymore is due to the "cliques" and the ever present community of the "cool" people. I have seen this scenario play out some many time in my life (in a myriad of social situations) that it's mindboggling. It's been my personal experience that if people dare to look beneath the surface (if one is so inclined), most of us are more similar then would otherwise appear. The end result is that the cliques only serve to polarize and segregate people.

As with anything in life, things (or people for that matter) are rarely what they appear to be. Pirandello wrote about the differences of the social "mask" (persona) that people portray in public (or on forum boards) versus who they really are in private. In short, people who appear "cool" here might not be that way in real life. Have you ever noticed that when people have the anonymity of the Internet, they become fearless?? Chances are they would not the guts (or stupidity for that matter) to say some of the denigrating things to others that they write in the forums if they were face to face with the other person.

It's been my personal experience that most people have more in common (in terms of personal experiences, attitudes, fears, hopes, dreams, goals, aspirations) then would outwardly seem. In short, if one bothers to actually look below the surface (and really get to know someone), the strong likelihood exists that some commonality would exist. After all, aren't we all trying to find some semblance of beauty, kinship and solace in this crazy journey called life??

If you have ever seen the film The Breakfast Club, it nicely sums up my point that our stereotypical perceptions of others might not be the whole picture! Here is an excerpt from the film in which the group of students tells the dimwitted principal "You see us as you want to see us":

Brian Johnson: Dear Mr. Vernon, we accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was we did wrong...but we think you're crazy to make us write an essay telling you who we think we are. You see us as you want to see us... In the simplest terms and the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of us is a brain...
Andrew Clark: ...and an athlete...
Allison Reynolds: ...and a basket case...
Claire Standish: ...a princess...
John Bender: ...and a criminal...
Brian Johnson: Does that answer your question? Sincerely yours, the Breakfast Club.

I have always said getting to know people for real is analgous to looking beyond cover of a book - if you only judge a book by it's cover
(or perceived cover) - then you just might miss a good read!

Leslie Lee

Why didn't you just pm this to her? Did we HAVE to see this? This thread screams of fighting/attention motives..

Aspie Guy,

If you don't want to read this thread - then don't. It's kind of like when you watch TV - if you don't like what the TV show is - then change the channel.

Moreover, I would really appreciate you refraining from telling me what my motives are for writing this post.

My point is that the only reason you posted it here was to make hale_bopp look bad in front of everyone on wrongplanet. We both know that's true.

AspieGuy,

Why would I want to make Hale_Bopp look bad? If anything, I was trying to say that something that she had posted was spot on and struck a chord with me!

Please allow me to translate for you: my intention was to state that I wholeheartedly concur with her point that cliques isolate people and create schisms between people. In short, people who are perceived as "cool" aren't necessarily part of the in crowd or however you want to term it.

When I read in the forums that people feel alone and cut off from others I find it sad. Moreover, I am an NT and a very extroverted one at that - socializing is very easy for me. If anything, it is second nature to me. And I guarantee you, cliques are very pervasive among NTs as well. More oftentimes than not, I find that cliques are superficial and based upon artificial barriers that people erect between themselves needlessly.

End of the day - I practice and advocate inclusion because I think most people are worthwhile and have something interesting to say - irrespective of gender, neurological status, culture, religion, sexual orientation, etc. No one should ever feel left out, cut off or alone - especially due to some rigid, intolerant artificial barrier that people ignorantly erect between themselves!

Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2010, 12:56 am

It's funny somebody should make a thread about Hale_Bopp because in my short time here she is one of the members that has stood out to me. I don't know whether it's her weird/scary mouth or her cuteness or the quality of her posts but I think it would be bad for the forum if she ceased posting. I'm intrigued as to what she has done that has caused a kerfuffle?

Last edited by 5264443377776444844 on 20 Dec 2010, 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2010, 1:00 am

Some people think i'm rude. I'm not perfect and I know that, I've got some weird ideas about things. I'm not a bad person, really though.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2010, 1:09 am

hale_bopp wrote:
No, come on, lets hear your opinion. I noticed you sent me a pm several days ago saying you wanted to talk and nothing else. If you want to talk, then talk.

I think that at times, you can be a little off. Some things you say aren't things you should say in accordance to the situation.