Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 5:29 pm

I have a sister who is younger than me and is in University. I love her though I can't really say it to her face, but sometimes I feel a little depressed about myself. The reason being is that she is smarter than me. She can drive a car and she has a boyfriend. I can't drive a car and I do not have a girlfriend and I never had, not even a school crush. I'm unemployed and I have Aspergers Syndrome which is kinda what held me back and I still live with my parents. I'm pretty immature for my age which is 24. When my sister speaks to me I feel like she's speaking down to me, which kinda makes me feel a bit low. I need to know if anyone has kinda been on the same boat as me and if someone can give me good advice to make me feel better.

FluffyDog
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 6:11 pm

If you have AS and your sister is NT, then your achievements are not neccessarily of the same nature, tb86. For her it may be normal to go to a busy cafe with her friends and to chat for a while, but for you doing the same things may be quite an achievement. That your achievements are of a different nature than your sister's and probably less obvious to most people does not mean that they are worth less.

I think you should try to recognize your own achievements better and to cherish them more. Maybe you have been overlooking things that were quite important steps for you simply because you were hoping to make the same kind of steps ahead that your sister has.

And I think you know what you want to reach in the long run. A relationship, a job, the respect of your family. All those are things that you can work for. The amount and the kind of work you have to put in are different from what your sister has to do for the same things, but that is because you are two separate persons with different interests and abilities. You will have to find a path that you can follow and feel all right with and it may take you a bit longer to reach goals that your sister has already completed, but on the other hand there is also some things that you can do and your sister cannot do. These may not be what is considered "important" things by most other people, but if they are important to you they are achievements nevertheless and you can put them on your personal list of successes.