Evidence for evolution of a key autism-linked gene

Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2010, 3:43 am

DevilInside wrote:
IQ tests measure hybrid vigor, how do you prove that?

I have no idea. I'm not so interested in IQ, but I've read the elementary literature on the subject, like "the g-factor". What they claim is that the g factor is the primary factor that comes out of education-like tests. There is no reason to doubt that, but the g factor is not any of the primary factors in Aspie-quiz. It is possibly the 3:rd factor that explains about 1% of the variance, but right now I cannot prove it since I've not had any traditional IQ-test in Aspie-quiz. All I've done in a very early version was to construct my own nonverbal IQ test, and it does correlate well with the 3:rd factor in Aspie-quiz. Some questions that seems to be related to IQ does as well.

While this is speculative (I cannot prove why it is so), the factors in Aspie-quiz are related to population events. The primary factor is related to the start of the ice-ages about 1.8 million years ago, and this is the time we can trace the start of the formation of the Aspie phenotype to. The secondary factor is related to the formation of modern humans, by hybridization. The third factor is related to the actual interbreeding between modern humans and Neandethals. That is also why I think the third factor ( = g factor) is related to hybrid vigor.

DevilInside wrote:
and can't that also be partially explained by divergence in the SAPIENS genes (remember the neanderthal admixture states 1 to 4% admixture which differs per case, not necessarely sweeping alleles across the whole population). Some alleles might have been more positively selected for though, again we need the exact sequences to say for sure.

The admixture is not generally spread all over the population, rather it is concentrated to a smaller subpopulation. Only a few genes have made "selective sweeps". Most are involved in balanced selection. But this is an issue that we probably will soon get some answers on soon.