I'm proud to be autistic, you should be too

Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

robh
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Jan 2011, 1:22 pm

I'm proud to be autistic and feel no guilt in bringing it up in passing. It is the reason I can do many o the things I can, such as learning new things extremely quickly.

I was not always like that, I lived in denial for 5+ years. It never did anything for me.

Autism is a gift, not a disease that must be cured. Be proud to be autistic!

FlintsDoorknob

08 Jan 2011, 1:34 pm

I don't see the point in finding pride in something you are born with. Same for gay pride, etc. It's like saying you're proud you have red hair.

I'm proud I accomplished what I have, but that's not aspergers, that would be me. I'm proud to have dealt with problems aspergers presented it, and to have the personality I do...but none of that is 'proud i have AS.'

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

08 Jan 2011, 1:46 pm

The point of pride is to reject the assumption that one should be ashamed of being gay or autistic. So instead of accepting the cultural narrative that these are shameful, one has pride instead.

That said, whatever my own personal feelings on any element of my life, I wouldn't tell others to have the same attitude. Not everyone's circumstances are like mine. I would only hope that others do the same in return.

hesting
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jan 2011, 2:11 pm

I don't see the point either.
I'm having problems with job interviews, talks, oral exams ... and I'm slowly learning new things ... there are no advantages at all when it comes to daily life.

Arminius
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2011, 2:17 pm

I agree that I would rather remain as I am than change. I also agree that it is an advantage sometimes, but how can I be proud of it? That would be like taking pride in my nationality or the color of my eyes. I had no choice in the matter. I refuse to be ashamed of it, but I take pride in acomplishments, not characteristics.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 3:05 pm

Proud to be on the spectrum? I'm happy to have abilities most people wish they had, but pride? Just because I'm not ashamed doesn't mean I have pride. I know AS means black and white thinking, but it isn't always that black and white. I'm not proud to be 5 foot 11. I'm not proud to have a middle finger that is longer than average, but I sure am happy for it.

I might have pride, except I just don't give a s**t. It's my best quality.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 3:14 pm

Autism isn't always a gift, and it's hindered my life more than enhanced it. I'm not going to be proud of it.

TechnicalPacifist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 3:55 pm

I agree with the above poster.

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 4:28 pm

nein. It's cursed my life beyond repair.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 4:45 pm

Neither proud or ashamed. I enjoy the gifts and take steps to alleviate the curses.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 4:45 pm

robh wrote:
I'm proud to be autistic and feel no guilt in bringing it up in passing. It is the reason I can do many o the things I can, such as learning new things extremely quickly.

I was not always like that, I lived in denial for 5+ years. It never did anything for me.

I agree with this thread! :)

aluisha
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Jan 2011, 5:25 pm

great that you feel good about it now. Get your issues resolved while you're young. I'm close to 60, never had the benefits that have been available the past 10-15 years, and am just discovering I'm unemployable with so much debt I don't know how I'll get out of it, let alone keep my house, my pets, my independence. I just applied for food stamps and medicaid. I have a masters degree and no one wants to work with me. Never be able to retire. Just spend the rest of my years scraping by alone.

Mind you, to the casual acquaintance, there would seem to be absolutely nothing wrong with me.

Get your issues worked out young and hopefully you'll be in good shape in later years. My perspective is that it just plain sucks.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 5:40 pm

I'm proud! :D

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 6:12 pm

Hard to be proud of what I am. Easier to be proud (or ashamed) of what I've done.

Avengilante
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jan 2011, 6:13 pm

robh wrote:

No, Autism is NOT a disease, its a set of handicaps that constitute a disability. I'm not proud, or ashamed of it, but I'm also not a naive Pollyanna about it, either. I would not want a 'cure' even if one were possible, because it would change my personality and I'm pretty comfortable with who I am (though that was not always the case). I do however recognize the difficulties it has left me to deal with, and as you get older, you will see just what serious problems it can present.

On the other hand, Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles and James Robinson and Temple Grandin have all had their handicaps and challenges and managed to accomplish worthwhile things, and so have I.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 6:20 pm

Moog wrote:
Neither proud or ashamed. I enjoy the gifts and take steps to alleviate the curses.

+10. Well-said. :)

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17