Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

melanie_me
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jun 2006, 11:11 am

I do not have AS, but my husband does. He turns 32 tomorrow and this has been a very recent discovery for both us. I'm trying to find out as much as I can so I can understand him. I love him so much and I want to accomodate his AS as much as possible when we're at home to relieve some of his anxiety and pain.

Do those of you with AS feel like I'm intruding on this forum? How do you feel about me asking questions about your expereinces with AS? Will I/do I make you feel like some science experiment?

I feel like I can only do so much clinical reading. Those who live with AS are the best source of info, in my opnion. But I want to be sensitive to all of your feelings.

hyper_alien
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2006, 11:15 am

Hey Dont worry,

You are welcome here. No worries.

Most of us have AS or other PDD's, but there are people on here who are looking for advice and are not Aspie/Autie themselves.

Welcome To wrongplanet!! :D

SkippyP
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jun 2006, 11:16 am

Ideally, it'd be your husband on here trying to get some help. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you being here on his behalf. If someone's benefitting, then it's all good.

And heck, as long as you're aspie tolerant I'm sure you're more than welcome.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2006, 11:17 am

no ask away we learn from nt's to....that means neurotypicals...or you.
we don tmind you intruding........but thanks for asking....

Sundy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2006, 11:23 am

We like to talk about the things that NTs sometimes ask about us. You're not intruding. Celebrate Neuro-Diversity!

grameyer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jun 2006, 11:24 am

How wonderful of you to want to help him. I have been married 28 years. My husband has helped me tremendously. He helps me understand things. He allows me to ramble on about the things I am obsessed about. But he lets me know gently when I am a little monotonous. He is my safe refuge and never makes me feel rejected. He tells me he will be my 'common sense' b/c while I have an extremely high IQ, I have zero common sense. I rely on his judgement and I really listen to him. He however does not baby me or let me get away with bad behavior and use ADHD or AS as an excuse. In other words he holds me accountable. He doesn't try to force social things on me as he knows I have difficulty in large crowds. He used to overwhelm me by trying to hug me. It felt really tight and like I couldn't breathe. Now that he understands, he check it out before trying to give me big hugs. My kids are great...They really like me. I guess it is because of how naive and simple I am. My little family is very happy and I give my husband and his gentle and unconditional love. But I must say that you have to help him understand boundaries...b/c it will be hard for you day in and day out. Don't give up on him!! ! You are awesome.

melanie_me
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jun 2006, 4:22 pm

Thanks everyone. I didn't want to just butt in to your online community.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2006, 6:10 pm

No - I'm perfectly fine with it, and it's very nice to have you here.

If an online forum/chat room didn't want NTs in their personal space there'd probably be a notice up somewhere up anyway.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2006, 10:59 pm

Being some kind of science experiment is an ambition of mine, coming just below being a crazy old lady with cats in order of importance. :D

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

rearden
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Jul 2006, 1:08 am

Personally, I'm glad you stopped by. In addition to the fact that I do not at all consider you to be an "intruder", your post reminded me that it's been way too long since I last listened to "Peter Gabriel 3". :)

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2006, 6:27 am

Tequila wrote:
No - I'm perfectly fine with it, and it's very nice to have you here.

If an online forum/chat room didn't want NTs in their personal space there'd probably be a notice up somewhere up anyway.

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2006, 8:40 am

I do not think you are intruding. I like having many different people on the forum that way there are many different points of view. it keeps conversations going