Have you defied limitations, surprised people?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 10:34 pm

I have. People are surprised when I can make shots with basketballs into the hoop. I am not however good at playing the actual game of basketball. Where they chase you around and try to steal your ball.

People are surprised to learn I can dance. People with autism are not supposed to be able to do that..

People are surprised to hear the music I create. Well you can't be autistic, doesn't that hurt your ears?

No it doesn't hurt my ears. Sounds don't hurt my ears, they just get on my nerves, startle me or distract me.

Why are you rubbing your palms together like that? Oh sorry, I'm not going to eat you I swear!

You aren't laughing at my jokes...ah ha! No sense of humor! Nope, your joke just wasn't that funny nor did some of the details really make sense.

You are giving me eye contact right now! I am? I didn't know your lips were the same as your eyes. So when you speak you are really seeing and when you look you are really speaking.

Acquaintances don't see it. I am happy because those who don't treat me like a human being. When they do start to see it, they don't get what they are seeing and then the negative attitudes emerge.

I am not a child with autism anymore. I am an adult. I have developed. I have grown. I have learned. I have even learned how to do things I thought were impossible.

I appear normal but I am not. This does not mean I'm evil nor does it mean pretend you don't know how to treat me because I see those people treat others with respect so they know how to do it. I don't know what normal is. If normal is what is currently going on in this world, I am glad to NOT be normal.

If I had things my way, I would just win alot of money and go away. I'd take some of my stuff and two people that are wonderful. The rest can stay.

Nobody knows nor believes that back in the day, I barely spoke. I can and do speak more now. It's not that I couldn't physically speak. The words would not escape my mouth. It stayed in my mind.

It was a foggy life back then. I am not the same in some ways but still the same in other ways. I've rebelled against my own brain, figured out how to trouble shoot certain areas and even still, bright lights trigger migraine, certain foods trigger migraines, I can speak on the phone now but if the person saw what I was doing while talking on the phone I would be shipped away to freak island.

I am glad to be able to do things I couldn't do then. Even though some might not find it really much of an accomplishment, it is to me.

Arman_Khodaei
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jan 2011, 10:55 pm

You remind me of myself in some ways.

People are often surprised to hear me speak, to see me talk about some of the things I do in my blogs, and those who have read my book were very impressed.

I have a daily blog that discusses my experiences on the autism spectrum, and a daily YouTube series to compliment it. Please check them out. I also have a podcast that is updated weekly including an Al

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 3:23 am

I've been working at my current job for almost 3 years. My parents didn't expect me to be able to work, again.

I've been living on my own since I was 32. My parent s thought that I would never be able to live on my own.

I've graduated from High school. My peers thought that I was too disabled to make it through High school.

LucasOak
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Jan 2011, 9:17 am

I'm learning my third language while most people my age are learning their third... And I'm going to a college class for it.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 9:22 am

Always. People hear that I have autism, they expect to be smarter and to be able to outperform me. And as usual, I'm smarter and outperform most with mental tasks and some physical tasks.

Not to say I'm smarter or better than everyone, however, as there are a lot of people who are smarter and/or outperform me. :D

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 12:22 pm

I usually get under estimated if they know so that's why I don't tell anyone.

I had this a lot in high school and even though they didn't know I had it, they still knew I was different and teachers tried to limit me thinking I couldn't do it. Then I surprised them after I was in Drama and then after that I got over estimated. :roll:

I also surprised other kids when I got my driver's license.

My ex was surprised the hotel I was working at in Montana was not my first job.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 2:21 pm

I get underestimated on sight. Anything I do conveying that I have a mind surprises people.

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 5:08 pm

Can relate to the underestimation then overestimation. People say only autistics see things in black and white. Does this hypothetical middle road really exist at all?

Nerdykid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2011, 5:22 pm

I think the middle of the road or grey area was created to make peoplefeel better about doing bad things like lying and stealing personally.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 9:26 pm

I'm a bit of an underachiever, but I don't particularly care for achievement. So no, not really.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists