Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Frieslander
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 1:43 pm

I am at the stage (again) where I am thinking of what to do for a living. I want to do something in biology (I have a degree in it, and could go back for grad school).

But what do people do? My communication skills are not the best, in part because of my AS. most jobs in biology involve teaching.

MrMagpie
Raven
Raven

29 Jan 2011, 1:49 pm

I have a degree in Japanese language, and at the moment all of my job offers are along the lines of translation and interpreting. I think the communication itself only comes to easily to me because Japanese is such a rigid language. Every social occasion has its rules and scripts that you follow, so it isn't difficult to know what to say at any given time.

Most of my friends think I would make a good college professor, though.

Autumnsteps
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jan 2011, 2:11 pm

I'm a self employed jewellery designer and photographer. Am also studying for a social sciences degree

AKindOfJareth
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jan 2011, 2:20 pm

Computer programmer over here; though I've done a bunch of other stuff in the past.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 2:23 pm

I have cooked for a living, line cook, sauté chef, baker (this was wonderful, I just put on 'books on tape' on my walkman and cruised through cakes and pies and billions of cookies) before I got my degree.

After my degree (in Sociology) I was a Microsoft technical engineer and worked for a computer manufacturer as a telephone computer technician, guiding people in hardware and software fixes and modifications. After my job pool faded away to India I now do customer service work for not for profit health insurance company explaining Medicare to elderly people and their families.

I find that talking on the phone doing research for folks to be perfect for me, as I don't have to interpret facial or body language clues, and the actual words are important. I just consider myself to have a 7.75 hour a day expert call-in radio show as I educate and help people one call at a time.

Did I think to myself as a child that THIS was what I wanted to do when I grew up? Absolutely not! Am I grateful that I have something to support myself so I don't live in a tent in the woods ? Absolutely!

not much help for 60 year old Aspies in the world. Remember those who went before you and be grateful for being born into a world where your difference is recognized and assisted.

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 3:02 pm

I'm working as a software engineer. I enjoy the computer part of my work a lot. Unfortunately, it requires a certain amount of human interaction, and I'm lousy at that part and it causes me a lot of anxiety. I'm happy when I can clear out the human issues, and just sit and program.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 3:43 pm

There are post-doc research opportunities and this is my direction as I'm near my PhD (neuroscience). In conjunction with research, I think I might like to be teach at University.

Interesting career courses, all! Very inspiring to know what we all have accomplished :) Frieslander: All the best and never underestimate yourself. Biology is a great choice and keep your options open.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 4:04 pm

I write for a couple of web pages. I also have a crap full time job. I building my savings for the lean periods of university ahead

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 4:20 pm

University academic, I teach and do research for a living. It seems to be a good thing for an aspie, you get paid for being an expert on your special interest. I would not say that all days are great, my job brings some dire days but the good days outweigh the bad ones so I am happy to continue in my current line of work.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Nerdykid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2011, 5:25 pm

I work at a childrens game store. I wouldn't recommend it.

AS_mom
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2011, 7:58 pm

I worked in the computer industry as a database consultant for 25 years and loved the work. Since a divorce and other issues 6 years ago I'm self employed doing office cleaning on weekends as I home school my children. I just started teaching children with learning disabilities part time my goal is to be self employed doing this in the future. (currently working for a local tutor)

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 7:59 pm

I have aspergers syndrome, I work with people who have aspergers syndrome

Works for me.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Jan 2011, 1:56 pm

I've been self-employed for most of my adult life; as a TV and small electronics repair technician. For a short time, I worked in the lab for a military electronics manufacturer. The people were great, but I couldn't take the lack of variety. At 40, I went through a lot of changes, ended a 9-year unhealthy relationship with my ex-GF, and married my wife. Now we run a ranch; growing Hass avocados, and have a horse rehab hospital, and we also have a small apartment building which I do all the work on, and my wife does all the paperwork. There's always something new to learn and do, which is a big plus for me.

Charles

Nosirrom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 3:27 pm

Student... but I wonder at what I can do for a job as a student... (can't stand fast foods)

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

30 Jan 2011, 6:29 pm

Right from my very first job it was electronics - debug, test & calibration of analog lab kit; later some design work, some TV repair work - then that became computer hardware - more debug & test, much hardware design/build/debug/programming work - which became systems programming - which became administrator/maintainer of a large network - which became er, gardening. :lol:

The increasing requirements of social interaction that came with increased areas of responsibility simply became too much for me to handle so I dropped out of it completely as a profession. I was burning up fast.
Now, electronics and computing have just resorted to their special interest status instead of that plus a professional requirement.

SeizeTheDay
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 6:38 pm

I'm a student. I work at a plasma donation center. But I'm going to school for either nursing or to get my m.d. I haven't decided yet.

"The person who knows everything has a lot to learn."

"Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum" (I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am) René Descartes