Can You Just Appear to be Aspergers?!

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CoffeeBeans
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Feb 2011, 3:42 pm

Yensid wrote:
So, even if you don't have AS, the real reason may still be that your brain functions a little differently from NTs.

I like that, it made me think. Even if I don't get the correct label I've always wanted (to explain myself in difficult situations like hospital and jobs mostly), well I can still explain to myself that I'm different even without a label and it's okay to treat myself differently. I like things fitting neatly into boxes in my head, I guess it never occured to me that a box labelled 'just different' might actually be okay.

I'm not a fan of the whole 'waiting and seeing' thing but really there's nothing else I can do now but wait. I feel better now I have my thoughts in order about it all though.

Chickenbird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Feb 2011, 5:50 pm

CoffeeBeans wrote:
Yensid wrote:
So, even if you don't have AS, the real reason may still be that your brain functions a little differently from NTs.

I like that, it made me think. Even if I don't get the correct label I've always wanted (to explain myself in difficult situations like hospital and jobs mostly), well I can still explain to myself that I'm different even without a label and it's okay to treat myself differently. I like things fitting neatly into boxes in my head, I guess it never occured to me that a box labelled 'just different' might actually be okay.

I'm not a fan of the whole 'waiting and seeing' thing but really there's nothing else I can do now but wait. I feel better now I have my thoughts in order about it all though.

Right on.

Changed score with attention to health. Still have AS traits and also some difficulties.

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2011, 7:41 pm

CoffeeBeans wrote:
Yensid wrote:

I'm glad it helped. The world likes to put people into nice categories. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't fit into their nice, neat categories.

Quote:

I don't think that anybody likes waiting, but sometimes, that is all that you can do. Good luck in your diagnosis.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 8:49 am

CoffeeBeans wrote:
And Rainman wasn't exactly autistic.

Nor would he have been at the "most extremely autistic" end of the spectrum according to people who look at things like this as one dimensional spectrums.

extractor
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Feb 2011, 12:57 pm

One of my psychologists/terapists suspected i have aspergers. The other 3(and my cusin whos also a psychologist) thinks i have adhd. Im shy however(allthough people never consider me shy apparently) and i can easily identify with aspergers on many levels. However, as i know two people in my life who have aspergers i know i dont have it. They are more quirky in a robotic way than the people who could seem to have aspergers because of their socially ackward and geeky behaviour.
Ive also been told to have antisocial traits, as in ASPD, but i think adhd can cause some antisocial behaviour which at first glanze may seem like aspd but at a closer look is not a personality disorder.

CoffeeBeans

09 Feb 2011, 1:29 pm

I was diagnosed aspergers.

Apparently on anaylsis my differences have been consistent throughout my life despite presenting differently at different times and there was enough early evidence to fill the DSM criteria in childhood as well as adulthood.

So there ya go...

Nothing else to say.

Chickenbird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Feb 2011, 3:09 pm

CoffeeBeans wrote:

Apparently on anaylsis my differences have been consistent throughout my life despite presenting differently at different times and there was enough early evidence to fill the DSM criteria in childhood as well as adulthood.

So there ya go...

Nothing else to say.

Lots more to say! Look how much we all say :) You have lots of company CoffeeBeans.

Changed score with attention to health. Still have AS traits and also some difficulties.

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 4:03 pm

CoffeeBeans wrote:

I'm glad it's resolved. I hope this diagnosis helps you in finding what you are looking for.

Reptillian
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2011, 4:25 pm

While one has to get tested more than just having a loner personality style especially those under 18 (I can't stress this enough as it seems extreme isolation isn't tolerated into those under 18 and I hear people wanting me to take a visit to a psychiatrist or a psychologist just because I have the behavior of not socializing to people and not feeling anything for them one bit. I just prefer to have no people around me at all and that's where I feel the best and I even isolate myself when the opportunities arise. Being a extreme loner at mid-teen could also indicate other personalities other than aspergers and I have a few forum which verifies this in fact. One of them being a forum for schizoids and the other ones for different personalities) They didn't try to diagnose me at all even though they only ask me to talk to few people with my interest. It's possible to appear aspergers though appearance isn't quite the same thing as taking a deeper look into the workings behind the person and actually looking by it bit by bit.