Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 3:29 am

I used to have an enormous collection of stuffed animals as a child. Nowadays I have some assorted Alice in Wonderland plushies that I got for my birthday and a teddy bear that my Nana gave me. I have to sleep with the teddy bear every night or else it takes me longer to fall asleep.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 4:12 am

I thought that human dolls were boring, but i liked stuffed animals. I didn't have any that i always carried around with me except for one Minnie Mouse doll that i was pretty attached to for awhile.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 4:14 am

I had only one doll that i can remember , it was a black doll that had the silkiest hair i had ever felt , so i think i loved the hair, not the doll. Didn't carry it around though!

just-lou
Toucan
Toucan

07 Feb 2011, 4:18 am

Anyone remember EC? I loved this thing as a kid. I guess it's how I felt myself and saw the world - faceless and made up of scraps. I still have it even though I'm compulsive about throwing things out. My mother hated it - she thought it was scary and sick. When I was about 10-11 she made me stop carrying it around and had a horribly memorable conversation about how the doll "wasn't real" and I had to start living in the real world.
I don'y carry dolls as an adult, but I was pretty late being forced to put this thing down as a child.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 5:56 am

From ages 7-11, Barbie dolls were my special interest. I probably had over 100. I never carried them around with me, though. However, as a toddler, I obsessively carried around stuffed animals that were special interests. From around 18 months to 3 years of age, I carried around a stuffed Garfield. From ages 3-5, I carried around a stuffed Pink Panther, who I would dress and pretend was my baby. I loved both Pink Panther and Garfield cartoons, so the special interest grew out of that, as well as how I have loved cats my whole life. I still own both my Garfield and my Pink Panther, and I have them sitting out on shelves, not buried in a closet. They are very worn and very loved, and now that I know I'm an Aspie, I like having them out to remind me of my earliest special interests.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 7:26 am

I used to play with dolls as a child, but seldom carried them around. I always felt they were safer at home.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 7:48 am

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
I noticed a lot of aspie girls like to carry dolls with them. In every case I've seen, it's Sonic the Hedgehog (one case it was Tails.) Anyone notice?

Is this observation statistically valid. What you noticed my be a manifestation of observer bias.

ruveyn

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 2:16 pm

just-lou wrote:

Anyone remember EC? I loved this thing as a kid. I guess it's how I felt myself and saw the world - faceless and made up of scraps. I still have it even though I'm compulsive about throwing things out. My mother hated it - she thought it was scary and sick. When I was about 10-11 she made me stop carrying it around and had a horribly memorable conversation about how the doll "wasn't real" and I had to start living in the real world.
I don'y carry dolls as an adult, but I was pretty late being forced to put this thing down as a child.

That's the most awesome doll I've ever seen! I want one! :D

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 3:54 pm

just-lou wrote:

No, this is the first time I've heard of EC. What the hell is that thing? It's down right scary.

just-lou
Toucan
Toucan

09 Feb 2011, 8:04 am

Quote:
That's the most awesome doll I've ever seen! I want one!

You can probably still buy them online. It was many years ago, though.

Quote:
No, this is the first time I've heard of EC. What the hell is that thing? It's down right scary.

EC was from the Australian kids TV show Lift Off, initially. They found him in the bin. It was about imagination in young children and issues of growing up, so educational for me. I never found EC scary. I know my mother did. It never spoke, which was nice, and was sort of a mystical misfit with a sense of innocence that I related to. It's supposed to be a crude form of human imitation, (again, exactly how I felt) but everybody but the children seem to think it rubbish, as their imagination can see it come alive.

Nikki82
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2011, 12:08 pm

My daughter is scared of dolls and will tell me she doesn't want dolls to play with she only liked one and rarely plays with it. She would rather her animal figures or stuffed animals to play with then a doll. Plus she is kind of a tomb boy and likes trains and trucks too.

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 12:11 pm

I loved dolls. Both to play with and to carry with me. :D

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 4:34 pm

Really? My mom tells me that me and my sister never really played with dolls, we always gravitated towards the stuffed animals. We had this huge collection of stuffed animals that my mom eventually gave away. Dolls were never my thing. Dolls just doesnt seem like an aspie thing, but I know all aspies are different.

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 6:38 pm

I never liked carrying dolls around. I didn't even play with them...I had a few but I just liked arranging them.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 8:28 pm

I never carried dolls with me, because I didn't have any dolls, or any toys. :D I liked to hold a wooden stick or twig in my hand a lot. And I liked to sharpen them with my knife. (Back then every kid carried a knife to hand sharpen pencils. We considered pencil sharpener for wimps.) I still like to pick up a stick or twig from the ground and carry that around whenever we go to a park and walk on trails in the woods. Both of my kids do this stick thing, too. But then sticks are very useful compared to dolls.

FarqyTheIndolent
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 10:07 am

I've always had one toy or other that I've displayed extreme levels of attachment to, and it was a stuffed doll of Hermione from Harry Potter at one stage.

As for dolls in the Barbie sort of vein: I was never one for 'properly' playing with dolls, preferring to arrange them (along with all my other toys) in a way that falls quite neatly in line with stereotypical AS behaviour. However, once I was given a toy that belonged a series as a present from a relative, I tended to become obsessive about completing said series, and Barbie was no exception.