Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

GammaGeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 9:40 am

Honestly, I never really understood why it was such a bad term. It was just like another swear to me; I didn't know why it was taboo, but I never used it because apparently its a bad word. I mean, it's just a little word, right?

I've been called every other word you can think of. None of them hurt. Not even a bit. My babysitter called me a little a** and I never even flinched. All the fat jokes I get? I can brush them off easy with a laugh. You can call me a maniac or insane and I'll take it as a compliment.

Well I get it now. The "r" word. It freaking hurts. I have no idea how a word can actually be painful, but there. I'm hurt. The only other times a word has hurt me this bad (excluding threats or STOP signs) was when my teacher for my advanced class in 4th grade called me stupid. I would rather be tortured by clowns and covered in centipedes for a week than ever be called stupid again. I would literally give my left foot away if it meant no one would call me that.

I don't get it. Now I feel like I'm all of those things AND stupid. I mean, that's what ret*d is right? People use it as a synonym for stupid all the time. Does that mean that she thinks I'm an idiot? God if I'm stupid, then I freaking give up. I'm done.

Jeez, I hate how I overreact to every little thing.

Have any of you guys been called a ret*d?

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 9:52 am

I've been called ret*d for a good portion of my life. When I was 16, I informed this guy that he was the ret*d instead of me, and he got really mad at me. I then realized that the only people who call others ret*ds feel like ret*ds themselves, which is why they feel the need to project it onto others they feel are less fortunate. It was a turning point as far as my understanding of people.

maddycakes__
Raven
Raven

07 Feb 2011, 9:55 am

I have, many times. It's never bothered me too much, though. The only times I can remember it really hurting was when it was my brother or father calling me it. Other people who have called me it were just horrible people that I hated anyway so I wasn't that bothered about it.

oddone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Feb 2011, 10:08 am

I use it about myself if I'm trying to be deliberately offensive.

I'd never call anyone else a ret*d.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 10:25 am

I hate that word! Go to a mental instituition and MEET someone who is mentally ret*d! (While I haven't I've seen documentaries on tv) It is IMO a bad term. Kids such as my 11 year old little sister use it freely as do my parents something I do looks ret*d. Hand flapping once a few months ago. The other day the chair screeched (One of my sensory issues I HATE! I always grab my ear) my sister was like why do you always grab your ear and laughed (since I guess it looks weird/funny). I said it hurts my ears. They don't understand ANY of my traits sadly. :-)

AprilB
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Feb 2011, 10:46 am

It only hurts you because you believe it! Once you realize that all those negative words being said do not apply to you, they will no longer bother you.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 12:07 pm

GammaGeek wrote:
Have any of you guys been called a ret*d?

While in school from 7th grade to 10th grade I was called it everyday.
Three or four times a week at a resteraunt job I worked at for 9 years
Two or three times a month at a machine shop I worked at for 9 years
Hey at this rate by the time I am 60 I might get shown some form of respect if I am lucky. :roll:

loftyD
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Feb 2011, 12:12 pm

a bus driver called me a ret*d when I was 14. I told him to f**k himself and he got sacked.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 12:18 pm

loftyD wrote:
a bus driver called me a ret*d when I was 14. I told him to f**k himself and he got sacked.

That's funny, one of my teachers at school used the word 'ret*d' in a sentence while talking to me, not directly at me though, but in an offensive way, and he got sacked :lol:. Good riddance to that evil b******!

Autumnsteps
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Feb 2011, 12:20 pm

My kids dad used to call me it often :(

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 12:25 pm

I have been called it a few times. Even a stranger whispered 'ret*d' to me while I was out with my Mum. F***ing disgraceful world... :twisted: At times like that I just snicker to myself, because I know that I am so much better than they are and they will never amount to anything :lol:.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 10:22 pm

People in my school think that people with Asperger's are "so ret*d that they're a genius"... well, they don't know much about Asperger's and don't know that the specific people they describe as "ret*d", have it.

I've been called ret*d, but not with any malicious intent; the (unnecessary) joking between young adolescents is the context in which my being called "ret*d" lies.

possum
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Feb 2011, 2:17 am

My kindergarten teacher thought I was ret*d in the clinical sense because I would just sit there and not do my work, and I never talked to anyone. Then I was called a ret*d in the derogatory sense by my classmates in fourth through sixth grade. My social life has improved significantly since I became a young adult though.

Yowuza
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Feb 2011, 3:28 pm

Yeah, doesn't really bother me much though. Also, moron originaly had a similar meaning to "ret*d", and no-one considers that offensive.

Zeek
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 2:43 am

Few times, jokingly. I have a reputation for being smart though so not too often. And anyway, people know I can tear them down with my own words if I feel the need.

jamiethesilent
Raven
Raven

09 Feb 2011, 8:40 am

I am called r*&^%$£ a lot by people. It is insulting because it is saying that I have an IQ 0f 70 or less. I just ignore them.

- Cruch Bang Linux.