Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Are more inclusive gender options on Wrong Planet profiles a good idea?
Yes 80%  80%  [ 43 ]
No 13%  13%  [ 7 ]
It doesn't apply to me/don't care 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 54

murphycop
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 8:57 pm

Volodja wrote:
murphycop wrote:
Volodja wrote:
Also, "trans" doesn't just refer to transsexuals. Not all trans people have had a sex change. I think most transsexuals would identify as m or f, yes. That doesn't mean all trans people do though

Well these are obviously the people who are caught up in the trend.

I'm not saying people would have a sex change just for the trend, i'm saying if there was anyone who had, had the operation, why would they want to be labelled a trans? That wouldn't add up.

I don't think many would. That's why I said earlier that I dion';t think "trans" is a good option to add as transsexuals usually identify as one or the other. Some people feel neither though, androgynous

If they feel neither, thats probably due to some personality defect. There shouldn't be a gender name for that. I think people can get confused not knowing who they are, and then get mixed up with that being to do with their gender.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Feb 2011, 9:46 pm

I would like a write in section in addiction to the male/female options

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

murphycop
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 10:10 pm

:?

murphycop
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 10:11 pm

I guess you're right though, this confusion with gender has become an addiction :wink:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Feb 2011, 10:24 pm

murphycop wrote:
I guess you're right though, this confusion with gender has become an addiction :wink:

I meant addition but spell-check gave me the wrong word; that happens a lot :x but I guess addiction works to here

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

murphycop
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 10:29 pm

I know, was just playing about.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 3:55 pm

murphycop wrote:
If someone has a sex change, or sees themselves as the opposit sex they were born as, I thought thats the gender they want to be seen as. But what, people actually want to be seen as trans now? Its just a case of society going mad. Its a trend.

I disagree, murphycop. If a woman has reassignment surgery but does not undergo a phalloplasty, I think it is fair for him to describe himself as an FTM or trans-man. Even if he does have phalloplasty, I think he is still entitled to call himself by a label that fits.

I don't see this as a trend, but rather a change in our society's understanding if social sex roles and physiological sex.

Volodja
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 6:48 pm

Volodja wrote:
visagrunt wrote:
You are uncritically equating "sex" with sexual behaviour.

I am?

Just wondering why you thought this

murphycop
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 9:12 pm

visagrunt wrote:
murphycop wrote:
If someone has a sex change, or sees themselves as the opposit sex they were born as, I thought thats the gender they want to be seen as. But what, people actually want to be seen as trans now? Its just a case of society going mad. Its a trend.

I disagree, murphycop. If a woman has reassignment surgery but does not undergo a phalloplasty, I think it is fair for him to describe himself as an FTM or trans-man. Even if he does have phalloplasty, I think he is still entitled to call himself by a label that fits.

I don't see this as a trend, but rather a change in our society's understanding if social sex roles and physiological sex.

So what are they, gender benders? Its just another case of society gone made in my view. If they feel inside they are the opposite to what they were born as, then they are either that gender or the one they are currently, nothing in between.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 9:21 pm

murphycop wrote:
visagrunt wrote:
murphycop wrote:

So what are they, gender benders? Its just another case of society gone made in my view. If they feel inside they are the opposite to what they were born as, then they are either that gender or the one they are currently, nothing in between.

So because you don't get it...you think it's your duty to harass them about it?

And if you think it's society gone mad*...do you think it's your job to dictate what sanity is?

*correct me if you actually meant "made" and explain further...but I'm assuming you meant mad.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

murphycop
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 9:57 pm

skafather84 wrote:
murphycop wrote:
visagrunt wrote:
murphycop wrote:

So because you don't get it...you think it's your duty to harass them about it?

And if you think it's society gone mad*...do you think it's your job to dictate what sanity is?

*correct me if you actually meant "made" and explain further...but I'm assuming you meant mad.

If I thought I was a crocidile, i'd get locked in a padded cell. There isn't any proof for a lot of this stuff. Although, I do believe in some of it. What don't I get? Its just as likely that they don't "get it", if they think they're something other than male or female.

Well it seems ok for some of the people in question to, so yes, why not.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 8:45 am

murphycop wrote:
If I thought I was a crocidile, i'd get locked in a padded cell. There isn't any proof for a lot of this stuff. Although, I do believe in some of it. What don't I get? Its just as likely that they don't "get it", if they think they're something other than male or female.

Actually, they have studied trans people's brains and their brains actually resemble the gender that they want to be.

murphycop
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 11:10 am

Delirium wrote:
murphycop wrote:

Actually, they have studied trans people's brains and their brains actually resemble the gender that they want to be.

Maybe cause they're gay? :wink: I didn't say I didn't believe in transexuals, as in people who think they're male or female. To me, thats still two genders.

Volodja
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 11:28 am

Still two genders, of which someone can be neither/both

murphycop
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 12:14 pm

Volodja wrote:
Still two genders, of which someone can be neither/both

Bull. Thats just the social trend's opinion you've followed. Are you talking about both, in a physical sense?

Volodja
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 12:32 pm

No, if we're talking about physical sex then that's totally different