Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Do you get very nervous when you are invited to a banquet or luncheon where there are a lot of people (especially if there is nobody you know)
All of the time 35%  35%  [ 24 ]
All of the time 35%  35%  [ 24 ]
Sometimes 10%  10%  [ 7 ]
Sometimes 10%  10%  [ 7 ]
Never 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Never 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 68

Bashful
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jan 2005, 9:07 pm

When I'm invited to go to a banquet (eg. graduation banquet) at a restaurant, college, or a church, I get so nervous when there are tons of people there and there is no empty table for me to eat at. Usually everyone there are strangers and it is extremely hard for me to introduce myself and I feel my heart racing a billion miles a minute which may cause me not to go.

Rakkety_Tamm
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2005, 9:19 pm

99% of the time, only time that I don't is when I go with my girl freind, when I'm with her, there ain't anything that'll make me nervous.

nayashi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2005, 10:37 pm

if the majority of people at a party or whatnot are strangers to me, i get extremely nervous and my brain begins to shut down like a computer. i also get HORRIBLE depersonalization, which does not help at all.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2005, 7:01 pm

I'd like to say no, but truth is yes, I get extremely nervous when I go to social gatherings where I know no people at all. I get a kind of sick feeling in my stomach and nerves.

Quote:
i get extremely nervous and my brain begins to shut down like a computer

Do you mean like forgetting what to do or say, how to act and stuttering or something else?

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2005, 10:22 am

Quote:
f the majority of people at a party or whatnot are strangers to me, i get extremely nervous and my brain begins to shut down like a computer. i also get HORRIBLE depersonalization, which does not help at all.

That tends to happen to me, too. I do not always get depersonalization, though, but there is almost always anxiety, confusion, and a bit of a mental shutdown. I avoid going to parties as much as I can. I can't avoid them with family, and even with extended family I have no clue what to do with myself and find myself wandering aimlessly from the group, pretending to sleep on someone's couch, or sitting against the wall staring into space.

It's rather immature, but I usually stick with my younger brother in situations like that, so that I atleast have someone to talk to.

nitraine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jan 2005, 4:16 am

I showed up to a BBQ today and only stayed 25 mins.

I don't like to small talk unless it is about one of my interests (computer engineering, health and sci-fi).

Tere
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2005, 3:27 pm

I Dread going to places where there are a lot of people and I have to try to eat too. Even going to family reunions stress me to the max. I get a lump in my throat and can't swallow.

I mostly just sit off alone and try to be invisible!