Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 7:30 pm

I notice that a lot of the threads deal with social anxiety. I fortunately don't have that problem. I am confident and assertive, but I almost never get embarrassed. This sounds like it is not a problem except I wonder if it is because I am not picking up on social cues very well. I am often seen as uncaring and indifferent and sometimes there is a lot of misunderstanding when I talk to people. I am not always indifferent and am never uncaring. I wouldn't care much except it seems like people never understand my attitude or feelings about things.

Is there anyone else here who rarely gets embarrassed and wonders if it is because they are missing some social cues or not expressing themselves well?

daedal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2011, 2:54 am

I'm definitely not confident- walking across the playground at school takes way too much bucking up beforehand, but I don't get embarrassed that easily. I'm quite pleased about that. I've been through lots of painful situations and now it's like....hey, I can beat that. No big deal! I usually just find it funny when I do something obviously wrong. It's really useful to see the funny side of things. If I picture it in my head, I'd laugh if someone else did it. Can't think of an example now. Oh, just saying something weird in class or whatever.
Yesterday I was talking to this girl who's normally very nice. After about ten minutes I realised she was making fun of me...but not in a nasty way. I don't really mind that. I thought she was being serious about something so I kept rephrasing it so she could understand. I would probably drag that out if I were her, cos it's just funny. I am usually anxious in other social situations though. It depends! See- flexibility of thought, right there. Yay :D

Last edited by daedal on 15 Feb 2011, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 7:10 am

I guess I should just be glad that I don't have the social anxiety. When I was a teenager I was very proud of the fact that I was never embarrassed. Now I don't think it is a big deal. I wish I could figure out why some people find me uncaring and rude though.

DeusMechanicus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Feb 2011, 12:57 pm

I think I’m an odd case.
I do not get embarrassed when it is socially typical to do so and yet I do tend to get embarrassed when others usually would not.
For example, it would not embarrass me to urinate in front of someone, although I am aware that this is not acceptable because it causes embarrassment in others. (I like going to the dentist and don’t mind having an enema but I would never attend a sexual health examination).
I realize that it is considered abnormal to be embarrassed at witnessing specific forms of mechanical repair.

I do not hold significant social confidence but this doesn't relate to embarrassment.