Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Fiddler
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2005, 7:49 am

This mornig I had an exam about the Grapes of Wrath. The subject was:

Quote:
The Grapes of Wrath as a "dissonant symphony."

I found it very interesting as I'm well into music. I found analogies between music structures and the book ( the interchapters being a kind of counterpoint melody,and variations being made on well-known themes, such as Moses on the river and Rose's baby, for example). From that you get that the dissonance comes from reality, tragic irony, and paradoxes.
I don't know if my essay is a good one, but one thing is sure: I have enjoyed doing it.

Who is your favorite character in the book? I like Jim Casy and Ma very much, but I can't decide which one I like best.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2005, 9:12 am

someone i know is doing a PhD on using jazz forms in music in writing a novel. thought you might be interested.

Fiddler
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2005, 9:20 am

Yes indeed, I'm interested. Which books does the person you know study? Maybe s/he studies Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison, as it fits perfectly this subject.

sparkplugloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2005, 11:29 am

I have not studied that book enough to really judge it and analyze it, and therefore am unable to answer your questions.
But I find the topic of your exam interesting. Seeing a novel organized like a music structure seems interesting, because you can thus find patterns and understand more things about the book.

shivanataraja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2005, 9:14 pm

Strangely enough today i was having a conversation with a friend about AS and "retrospective diagnosis" of famous dead people, and she brought up The Grapes Of Wrath and said there was a character who strongly seemed like an Aspie in it...

It's also one of my ex's favourite books... i might have to find and read it now...