Page 1 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 7:07 pm

Two very intertwined ideas....where's everyone stand on either separate or both together.

The global population is supposedly due to hit 9 billion in the next 40 years and we're already seeing strains on resources now at our current 7 billion.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 7:19 pm

And i find it amusing that idiots keep trying to seek more oil to plunder instead of searching for possible, viable alternatives. <.<

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 7:22 pm

phil777 wrote:
And i find it amusing that idiots keep trying to seek more oil to plunder instead of searching for possible, viable alternatives. <.<

Here's a spoiler for you:

There is no alternative. What's staring at you isn't an alternative, it's merely the abyss staring back. Hence a necessity of population reduction so that we can at least try to follow the peak downward or maybe even race ahead of it.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 7:27 pm

Or, we could do as Japan appears to be aiming for (as read in another thread somewhere), a no-growth economy that keeps stable, but which avoids stagnation.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 7:29 pm

phil777 wrote:
Or, we could do as Japan appears to be aiming for (as read in another thread somewhere), a no-growth economy that keeps stable, but which avoids stagnation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil

No-growth is still death.

PJW
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2011, 7:34 pm

Global food production is twelve-billion people's worth. Interesting. Subsidies in America and Europe kill four of that, making eight billion. Then the entirety of the West only consume 75% of the food they actually purchase, making six billion.

The world is not facing a crisis of commodity, but of common sense and Left-wing protectionism and market distortion. Free farming to grow food to be EATEN instead of GROWN and the world will improve.

Bye for now.

- Pascal Bruckner

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 7:37 pm

I know some green folks who say we should hope we have hit peak oil.
-Jake

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 7:41 pm

PJW wrote:
Global food production is twelve-billion people's worth. Interesting. Subsidies in America and Europe kill four of that, making eight billion. Then the entirety of the West only consume 75% of the food they actually purchase, making six billion.

The world is not facing a crisis of commodity, but of common sense and Left-wing protectionism and market distortion. Free farming to grow food to be EATEN instead of GROWN and the world will improve.

Bye for now.

And all of the manufacturing and shipping processes (including growing the food) require oil that is quickly running out for us shy of a miracle of extraction technology...and even then we'll still be endangering ourselves (not worried about the planet, I'm worried about humanity).

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 7:42 pm

JakobVirgil wrote:
I know some green folks who say we should hope we have hit peak oil.
-Jake

I somewhat understand why because we don't want to enter the point of no return regarding greenhouse gases but they're incredibly short-sighted...either that or dumb selfish apes who don't care to learn more about the world around them than their stupid hippie minds will let them take in.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 7:53 pm

The tipping point may have already been reached. The decision may be land soft or land hard.

I think hard would be more fun <-- this is a joke

-Jake

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 7:59 pm

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 741878159#

Comedian Rob Newman (ex Mary Whitehouse Experience) on "Peak Oil".

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 8:48 pm

Something exactly like that.
_jake

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 11:01 pm

Count me skeptical on overpopulation. Its long curtailed in the west, and even the middle east has dropped off. http://www.earth-policy.org/plan_b_upda ... /update4ss

China has a massive sex ratio imbalance. For example the under 15 generation is 1.17 male(s)/female and the newborns are 1.14males/female, as per https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... os/ch.html , so that is under control too.

If we can get out wasteful habits under control, everyone can be fed.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 11:14 pm

This is a really interesting video on population growth that estimates things will top out around 10 billion. It links pop. growth decline with economic prosperity.

http://www.gapminder.org/videos/what-st ... on-growth/

But the real bomb is future medicine. If lifespans can be greatly increased through cheap genetic therapies, the world population could rapidly swell. Ive read some good short stories dealing with this topic.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 11:24 pm

simon_says wrote:
This is a really interesting video on population growth that estimates things will top out around 10 billion. It links pop. growth decline with economic prosperity.

http://www.gapminder.org/videos/what-st ... on-growth/

But the real bomb is future medicine. If lifespans can be greatly increased through cheap genetic therapies, the world population could rapidly swell. Ive read some good short stories dealing with this topic.

With increased longevity comes delayed reproduction. For instance in the west many women put off having children till after 30, especially educated ones.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 11:33 pm

Mankind will have to balance itself, either a huge discovery that leads to a revolution or a world war (space war, rather). It is bound to happen.

There was no alternative to coil, then oil was found to work.