Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 3:57 am

I ahd this problem a *lot* when i was younger. I've gotten better at it and I don't have it much at all now. But when i was little I learned to hold it for hours on end because I was afraid people would walk in or hear.

mikey1138
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Feb 2011, 4:36 am

I have this exact same problem and I'm not sure what causes my "stage fright". My coworkers find it amusing in a paradoxical way because I'm not really shy in other regards. I have no problem with being nude in front of people, and I will even try to pep-talk myself into peeing when I freeze up at the stall. I've even yelled at coworkers in the bathroom, "Don't listen, I'm trying to pee!" which usually garners a giggle from them but the levity doesn't help and I'm still left standing there at the stall until no one else is in the restroom. I've learned to accept it and try not to be ashamed, but it still causes some very awkward moments in the bathroom.

OuterBoroughGirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Feb 2011, 2:03 pm

Gah, I have this, too, and for me it goes in both directions to an extent. I'm not particularly comfortable with the prospect of other people hearing me, but I think it's the sounds of other people (especially people talking) that really makes me "clam up." Sometimes (though I couldn't say why) it helps when I shut my eyes. I suppose filtering out one source of sensory information makes other types of sensory information easier to deal with.

I recall this one time, I was on a field trip with a group of preschoolers from the school where I work. Myself, and another staff member brought the kids to the restroom so they could "go," then the other staff member said that we could take turns going as well. She let me go first, and when I was in the stall, she started singing a song (loudly) with the kids, probably thinking she was doing me a favor by drowning out any sounds I might make. Of course, with them all standing right outside, waiting for me, loudly singing a children's song, I could not go. After about two full minutes, I gave up, came out and explained that I couldn't "go" under those circumstances. The other staff member just shrugged and said, "Well, I can." She went in there, and eight seconds later, she was done. 8O Even when I'm by myself, with no auditory disturbances, it takes me roughly that amount of time just to activate my bladder's release gauge, and finishing business obviously takes longer than that.

Another staff member from the school, who was alternately covering both of the classes that went on the trip that day, came to be with the class I was covering later on to help with supervising the kids, and I did get to return to that restroom on my own -- one excuciating hour later.

I could share more stories. The problems are especially bad when I drink, which I don't do too often. A few drinks, then between the diuretic effect of alcohol and the fact that my brain and muscles don't communicate as effiociently as they do normally under those circumstances, I'm in there roughly every 10-15 minutes. I drink in public drinking establishments even less frequently, but when I do, things can get interesting. Just imagine a place with a two drink minimum, inadequate bathroom facilities with irate drunk people pounding on the door while I frantically try to "go." I practically caused a riot when out with my friend and her husband last week. :oops: I wasn't even drunk at the time -- just slightly buzzed.

Okay, that was far too much information, but this issue can be quite embarrassing at times, and it is liberating to know that I"m not the only one who suffers with this.
In any case, I'm done sharing and you can all collectively breathe a sigh of relief. :P

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 8:49 pm

Zen wrote:
I have this problem too. :lol: It's mostly avoidable except when I have to do urine tests. I've discovered that they will let you take the cup home and bring it back though, if you don't mind the extra trip. XD

Yet another weird thing I didn't know anyone else experienced!

I hate to say this, but the better ones will NOT let you do that in the US!

PROBLEMS:

1. Someone ELSE may provide urine. Did you know there are actually companies that provide it!?!?!? SOLUTION? Have you urinate THERE!
2. Someone ELSE may have PROVIDED urine, that you release there. SOLUTION? They verify the temperature. If it is out of sync, they won't accept it.

BTW the companies that provide the urine DO provide heaters as well, but the centers have you empty your pockets and may frisk you.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 9:20 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
Zen wrote:
I have this problem too. :lol: It's mostly avoidable except when I have to do urine tests. I've discovered that they will let you take the cup home and bring it back though, if you don't mind the extra trip. XD

Yet another weird thing I didn't know anyone else experienced!

I hate to say this, but the better ones will NOT let you do that in the US!

PROBLEMS:

1. Someone ELSE may provide urine. Did you know there are actually companies that provide it!?!?!? SOLUTION? Have you urinate THERE!
2. Someone ELSE may have PROVIDED urine, that you release there. SOLUTION? They verify the temperature. If it is out of sync, they won't accept it.

BTW the companies that provide the urine DO provide heaters as well, but the centers have you empty your pockets and may frisk you.

For drug tests, this is true. The one time I had to do one of those was a nightmare. I was in the bathroom for an hour trying to go, the whole time 2 people were standing right outside the door repeatedly knocking and asking me if I was done. For medical tests, I guess they figure the only person you'd be hurting by having someone else do it is yourself. And how stupid would you have to be to buy urine for a medical test? :lol:

JamesAllen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Feb 2024, 10:04 pm

This is really a difficult thing for me. I have a history of PTSD, and some very bad personal trauma, so that makes it tough as well. I also have ASD. If I hear a footstep or any noise, I completely can't urinate. I get nervous, my Adrenaline rushes, at times I shake. It is really uncomfortable. The worst is when I have to take witness urine drugs screens for my doctors. They make it seem like it is something I can control. They get upset with me, and it is so frustrating. It is like no one understands, so it is good to hear that it is not just me.

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Feb 2024, 10:39 pm

Interesting! I certainly have some kinda issue. I relate with OuterBoroughGirl's experience above. I can get embarrassed easily. The frustration of someone else coming in and going in five seconds and I'm still sitting there unable to go is soooo frustrating. :wall:

It's far, far worse when I go in the restroom with a friend and they have to wait for me, who usually hasn't successfully gone. D: Lol.

I tried going to a urologist, but they suggested some kinda pelvic floor therapy and I nearly fainted at the thought. :pale: (I'm not exaggerating. I actually almost did)

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2024, 4:01 am

I don't have this problem.

Maybe because I don't have anxiety related issues.
And I have no issues relaxing when it came to it.

I can use the public restroom no problem.
Having to be quiet never enters my mind when it came to it.

To be quiet? I know 'how to'. I'm sure is much easier as a woman.
That, and knowing that people's ears are not as sharp as one would assume to be; or heck I'd even assume people, NTs generally, would filter the sound itself.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2024, 5:10 am

I used to have this issue when I was younger. But now I have stopped caring and the yellow liquid comes flowing forth with ease.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2024, 9:19 pm

^Same. I used to not be able to go at all, then someone online suggested blocking my ears with my fingers so I couldn't hear myself or anyone else. It worked. Now I don't need to block my ears, I can just go.

No #2 in public toilets, though. I wait until I get home.