I don't want to date poor people

Page 34 of 35 [ 558 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 6:17 pm

everyone's plop stinks, but the wealthy are under the grand illusion that theirs smells like roses, and they spend lotsa dough convincing the rest of us of that illusory reality. certainly from my point in space underneath it all, they seem to smell better than I do. but AFAIK, beyond a certain modest point, nobody gets that wealthy without cutting ethical corners here and there, cheating folk here and there, and in my view that makes them stink worse than pigplop. :eew:

Last edited by auntblabby on 26 Oct 2016, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 6:20 pm

Ya know not every wealthy person is a lying cheat who hasn't worked a day in their life.

In fact a lot of them have worked hard to get where the are and still work tirelessly everyday. Businesses are extremely difficult to make successful.

And yes I am working class and am poor as f***

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 6:38 pm

there are far more Donald trumps in this world than there are Aaron Feuersteins-
http://moralheroes.org/aaron-feuerstein
i'd say of the 1% class, 90% of 'em give the other 10% a bad rep.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 9:19 pm

Alliekit wrote:
Ya know not every wealthy person is a lying cheat who hasn't worked a day in their life.

In fact a lot of them have worked hard to get where the are and still work tirelessly everyday. Businesses are extremely difficult to make successful.

'Hard work' is subjective, relative and a matter of your own perspective.

Most successful people were privileged from the get-go. Funny enough to some people in this world, YOU and ME are the 'privileged' ones who have had it easy and had almost every opportunity handed to them.

The 'hard work' of most massively successful people is similar to how a rich celebrity with access to the top chefs, nutrionists and personal trainers 'worked hard' to get the body they have now; sure, they couldn't just sit on their butt and had to actually exercise, but it's far less impressive than if the average joe or an immigrant from a poor war torn country did the same thing while juggling their work, study and social life

Just as most (not all) successful people are a native born of their country, have no disability or mental disorder of any kind (except for maybe psychopathy, which is a trait often found in CEOs, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09 ... udy-finds/) white, upper middle class or higher, and have a vast support network of loving and caring family, friends and, very often, a loving S.O. by their side.

This is true for the vast majority of Australian politicians who often went to private school in their youth.

Source: http://www.higherperspectives.com/short ... 75273.html

Last edited by Outrider on 26 Oct 2016, 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 9:24 pm

why is it that so often, the comfortable who were born on third base think they hit a triple?

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2016, 2:13 am

Outrider wrote:
Alliekit wrote:

'Hard work' is subjective, relative and a matter of your own perspective.

Most successful people were privileged from the get-go. Funny enough to some people in this world, YOU and ME are the 'privileged' ones who have had it easy and had almost every opportunity handed to them.

The 'hard work' of most massively successful people is similar to how a rich celebrity with access to the top chefs, nutrionists and personal trainers 'worked hard' to get the body they have now; sure, they couldn't just sit on their butt and had to actually exercise, but it's far less impressive than if the average joe or an immigrant from a poor war torn country did the same thing while juggling their work, study and social life

Just as most (not all) successful people are a native born of their country, have no disability or mental disorder of any kind (except for maybe psychopathy, which is a trait often found in CEOs, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09 ... udy-finds/) white, upper middle class or higher, and have a vast support network of loving and caring family, friends and, very often, a loving S.O. by their side.

This is true for the vast majority of Australian politicians who often went to private school in their youth.

Source: http://www.higherperspectives.com/short ... 75273.html

I don't disagree. I was talking more about the people who worked up from nothing. I'm proud of my dad for moving from a council owned house to his own because he worked hard as a builder.

But doctors and some top chefs are well deserved of their position. They work tirelessly for their possitions. I would right more but it's early morning and I must be off :)

MamaFrankie5259
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2016, 8:15 am

I don't object to wealth which is genuinely earned through hard work or even having talent. What I object to is privilege by birthright as in aristocrats and Royals.

However, I object to putting people into different 'social classes' and calling some higher and some lower. We are all the same, however much or little money we have.

That Richard and Paula cartoon is nearer to the truth than is comfortable. It is because of situations like this that I never use the names 'United Kingdom' or 'UK' to describe Britain (unless I have to as in an e address ending in '.co.uk' or the punk group the UK Subs). It is not a united kingdom, it is a divided nation. And I know what I'm talking about because I (unfortunately) live there.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2016, 9:22 am

MamaFrankie5259 wrote:
I don't object to wealth which is genuinely earned through hard work or even having talent. What I object to is privilege by birthright as in aristocrats and Royals.

However, I object to putting people into different 'social classes' and calling some higher and some lower. We are all the same, however much or little money we have.

That Richard and Paula cartoon is nearer to the truth than is comfortable. It is because of situations like this that I never use the names 'United Kingdom' or 'UK' to describe Britain (unless I have to as in an e address ending in '.co.uk' or the punk group the UK Subs). It is not a united kingdom, it is a divided nation. And I know what I'm talking about because I (unfortunately) live there.

So do I but the name united kingdom has never really bothered me.

MamaFrankie5259
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2016, 8:34 am

The thing is, Allie, I am extremely political.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2016, 7:55 pm

MamaFrankie5259 wrote:

Social classes as a concept exist for many other reasons aside from just dividing people, and it's more than just social status but also income, living conditions, access to education and healthcare, etc.

It's necessary for Sociologists, political scientists, social historians, etc.

The thing is, in both history and modern times there are observable distinct traits and patterns that can be found in the different social classes that DO differentiate them from each other (aside from the rare exceptions).

So yes, to an extant differences HAVE been found. That isn't to say people of any social class should be considered 'better' than another, just that they're unique in their own ways.

The differences have to be taken into account.

What if only expensive private schools existed because everyone was treated equally, rich or poor?

No, there needs to be cheaper access to education for the poor who have more trouble affording private school.

But maybe a rich family doesn't want their kids to go to a school in the ghetto. That might sound snobby, but sometimes it could also mean making sure their kid grows up in a nice and supportive environment that nurtures them rather than a school that might have a lot of 'ghetto/gangsta' type kids.

So then private schools would exist for the rich families who can afford it and are willing to pay.

But if we choose to admit that some people are poor, that means we reinforce the idea of social classes, because putting people into social classes makes things more convenient to organize people by income, job, assets etc. into the same category and thus makes it easier to get an idea of what someone's living situation is.

What I mean is, instead of saying "I can't afford private school, I am a minority, I can't get a job, etc." we can simply say "I am lower class/lower-middle class" and press for more details on how to help later.

There needs to be neighborhoods with cheaper rent and these suburbs tend to have lower quality housing.

I can see why you'd be angry that it separates people but it's also about affirmative action.

We can treat all people of any race the same but that means the disadvantaged won't get any benefits that can help equalize the playing field.

If you believe in equality than sometimes it's necessary to sometimes treat others differently for the sake of making things equal because other people are in different situations.

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2016, 7:20 am

^ As an armchair psychologist/sociologist, I really like how you put those thoughts into words. (And that illustration is great!) Thanks. :)

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2016, 7:40 am

MamaFrankie5259 wrote:

I also cringe when people treat others differently according to their wealth or lack thereof, their celebrity status, how they dress, what may be considered their strengths or weaknesses, and so on, but I look at people as having inherent worth that isn't based on their income. Although part of me still feels that some individuals are pieces of fecal matter based on their behavior and sometimes attitudes, the more mature part of me--the part that aspires to always embody wisdom and great compassion--knows that we're all equal as fellow (human) beings. The words "upper/middle/lower class" just describe some of the circumstances under which people live.

MamaFrankie5259
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2016, 8:17 am

Outrider and Kim, you speak a lot of sense.

But I object to the expression 'lower class' as it implies inferiority. This is how revolutions and wars begin.

I will accept the expression 'working class' as it implies that the people of said section of society do actually work for a living. But 'lower' class is a definite no.

And I refuse to curtsey before Royalty (in fact I would refuse to be even presented to them). Neither will I accept being referred to as a 'subject' of the monarch as this implies subservience. I am me, I am Agnetha, I am my own person and I am subservient to nobody.

Yes, financial differences do exist, always have and always will. But nobody is lower in social status because of it.

I_Heart_Unicorns
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Nov 2016, 7:53 pm

Rezdis wrote:
Does this make me a bad person?
I'm middle class and I only want to date people who are middle or upper class. Yet I always seem to have people poorer then me ask me and I feel bad when that is the main reason I don't want to go out with them but it's true.
Also when poor people want to date me how do I brush them off?

How to brush them off? JUST SAY NO.
If you won't go out with poor people, then lucky them.
And has it ever crossed your mind that (a) the people you look down on hate you, (b) the people you look up to hate you?

MamaFrankie5259
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 8:32 am

hale_bopp wrote:
Rezdis wrote:
Does this make me a bad person?
I'm middle class and I only want to date people who are middle or upper class. Yet I always seem to have people poorer then me ask me and I feel bad when that is the main reason I don't want to go out with them but it's true.
Also when poor people want to date me how do I brush them off?

Just tell them thanks but no. You don't have to say anything other than thanks but you're not my type.

I don't care if I date poor people, If the man I loved lost all his money I would still love him and want him. But I DO care if there is a class difference. I'm generally not attracted to working class people because they have nothing in common with me or my lifestyle.

I can't relate to rough or basic people. I can pretend to be like them when working with them but thats as far as it goes. Class, education and intelligence do matter.

Money doesn't though.

Just my stand on it.

Emboldened bit: Absolutely correct, you do indeed have nothing in common with 'working class' people. This is because they actually work for a living, as opposed to doing rock all and having it handed to you on a plate as you have done. It's people like you who bring out the murderess in me.

There are actually more so called 'working class' people in the world than any other so called 'class' hence the term 'the masses' and if the masses did decide to revolt there would be one hell of an upheaval.

I agree that education and intelligence matter but class doesn't. In fact, in my book, it doesn't exist. We are all human, all equal.

If I sound extreme, it's because this is a subject about which I feel very strongly.

MamaFrankie5259
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 3:45 pm

Apology for earlier error. The man in question has actually only been married for 33 years!