Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 11:55 pm

http://transcience.org.uk/

Baptism.

Quote:
A significant number of cases are being reported online that suggests a link between the baptism of infants and the onset of autism. One such case is that of little Mary Blackhouse who lives in Louisville, Kentucky. She was baptisted shortly before her first birthday and over the following days she changed in her demeanour.

"She was such a happy baby," said Mary's mother, Julie, still finding the memory painful. "She was so full of life. In the days after the ceremony she got quieter and quieter and seemed cut off from the world. We took her to the doctor and he diagnosed autism."

baptism

Many similar cases have been reported, one father claimed that the symptoms of autism had appeared in his son only a few hours after the baptism. Scientists have been quick to respond to the growing concern, saying that there is no scientific evidence for a causal link between infant baptism and the development of autism. Dr Henry Palmer, from the Frankfort Institue of Childhood Disease, wanted to address parents' fears.

"There may be some anecdotes of autism being diagnosed shortly after baptism, but it does not equal causation. There are thousands of children baptised every year in the United States and they are just fine. There's also plenty of unbaptised infants who are autistic, so I doubt there is a real link."

Brian Blackhouse, Mary's father (who no longer lives with his family), thinks that the refusal of scientists to accept the link is clear evidence for a cover-up.

"It's obvious," he said during our telephone interview. "Mary got baptised and then she got sick. Seems pretty causal to me! The doctors keep saying it wasn't the baptism, but they're bound to deny it because they're in the pay of BigChurch."

Mr Blackhouse's accusations aren't without foundation, however. A large number of scientists do attend church and so there exists a major conflict of interest.

"It's easy for these doctors and scientists to say there's no evidence," said Julie Blackhouse, angrily. "But unless they've got children who have autism after being baptised they don't know squat. I have to live with it."

Many families have approached lawyers and started class actions against their respective churches. We approached many of the pastors for comment but they refused, citing the ongoing legal cases. We did manage to speak to Brenda Jackson, a leading activist in the Parents Against Baptism pressure group.

"We need to get the message out to parents that baptism is dangerous for their children. I know a lot of people talk about the benefits of being saved from eternal damnation, but priests aren't telling them about all of the dangers. We're worried about some of the common trace elements found in holy water: lead, mercury, flourine and sometimes high concentrations of dihydrogen monoxide. The government needs to step in and do something."

Over the next few weeks we'll be keeping an eye on this story and any other media-driven panic associated with it.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 11:57 pm

Oh for cryin' out loud... next it will be demon possession. Cure your autism with a good old fashioned exorcism... only $299.95.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 11:59 pm

You have got to be kidding. Not saying anything about the practice one way or another. This is silly. Plain and simple.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

ci
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 12:01 am

:lol:

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 12:12 am

This is ridiculous. And it creates another reason to dislike Christianity.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 12:24 am

wow

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 12:25 am

Wow, that's got to be amongst the topmost ridiculous things I've ever heard. Insert sarcastic comment: I'm sure all of the reputable scientists will be rushing to study this.

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 5:45 am

From looking at the site, I'm going to bet that this is a parody site. I don't think that it is serious. I can't prove it. It's just the impression that I get. It's just a bit too well written, considering how strange it is.

fibonaccisequence94
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Mar 2011, 6:27 am

Perhaps I misread the last quote in the original post... But it seems strange to me that water would be labeled a trace element.

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 8:53 am

:roll:

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 9:05 am

i have never been baptized.my mother was raised catholic and my father episcipal but i was never raised with religion.i dont buy that theory

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 9:07 am

Peko wrote:
This is ridiculous. And it creates another reason to dislike Christianity.

I don't think it does. Not unless you agree with the people who are claiming baptism causes autism. If you, as I assume, think they are way off base, well, then, don't dislike Christianity because of what a handful of people, not even enough to call a minority, say. (Which doesn't take away from whatever other reasons you have for disliking Christianity, of course.)

Last edited by Mysty on 18 Mar 2011, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 9:37 am

I have never been baptized. I always feared I would melt or a steam like fog would arise from my skin. 8O

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 10:18 am

I'm thinking some of these things that parents claim cause autism because their child's behavior changed afterwards, maybe they aren't a cause, but a trigger. People on the autistic spectrum tend to have various sensitivities. Maybe a baptism, or a vaccine shot, or whatever, triggers a change in behavior in an autistic individual. But it's not a cause. If not that, something else would have come along. So, my thinking is, it may be more than a coincidence of timing, but without these things being a true cause.

chinatown
Toucan
Toucan

18 Mar 2011, 3:56 pm

:lol: I can't tell if that's a joke or if they actually think there's something to it... You never know with those hippies.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 4:22 pm

chinatown wrote:
:lol: I can't tell if that's a joke or if they actually think there's something to it... You never know with those hippies.

Same here. I looked at the other even nuttier articles and figured it must be a joke site. But you just never know.

Like Yensid, I think it is oddly well written for something so ridiculous. And all the other articles are combinations of actual science and New Age silly. So it's either a parody site or some well educated person went off the rails.

Last edited by Janissy on 18 Mar 2011, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.