George Soros and Media Matters have gone unhinged

Page 4 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 1:15 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Not really. Wikipedia actually cites sources.

If you ever watched Glenn Beck, you would know that he cites sources and not only that he provides links to said sources. If you ever read a book by Sean Hannity you would know he cites sources. So really, all you have proved skafather84, is that you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

Al Franken and Michael Moore also cite sources but I don't look to them for raw fact. You seem to miss the point that Wikipedia is a source that prides itself and works toward accuracy while commentators aim toward their own personal ends and manipulate their sources in between.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 1:19 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

If you ever watched Glenn Beck, you would know that he cites sources and not only that he provides links to said sources. If you ever read a book by Sean Hannity you would know he cites sources. So really, all you have proved skafather84, is that you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

Al Franken and Michael Moore also cite sources but I don't look to them for raw fact. You seem to miss the point that Wikipedia is a source that prides itself and works toward accuracy while commentators aim toward their own personal ends and manipulate their sources in between.
Yeah it's not a matter of whether or not they cite sources but how they present and interpret em.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 1:20 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

Al Franken and Michael Moore also cite sources but I don't look to them for raw fact.

I actually find that surprising because you often seem to parrot them.

skafather84 wrote:
You seem to miss the point that Wikipedia is a source that prides itself and works toward accuracy while commentators aim toward their own personal ends and manipulate their sources in between.

I would argue that Wikipedia does the manipulation you say, and there is a reason why I backcheck what commentators like Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck says so I know they are on the up and up. I don't take what anyone says for granted.

Speaking before The New York Press Club, Times editor Bill Keller said: "I think if you're a regular viewer of Fox News, you're among the most cynical people on planet Earth. I cannot think of a more cynical slogan than 'Fair & Balanced.'"
http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/oreilly/t ... anet-earth

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 1:23 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
I would argue that Wikipedia does the manipulation you say, and there is a reason why I backcheck what commentators like Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck says so I know they are on the up and up. I don't take what anyone says for granted.

Speaking before The New York Press Club, Times editor Bill Keller said: "I think if you're a regular viewer of Fox News, you're among the most cynical people on planet Earth. I cannot think of a more cynical slogan than 'Fair & Balanced.'"

A) Not everything is a liberal conspiracy. Take off the tin foil hat once in a while.

B) What's wrong with what Bill Keller said? It is an absolutely cynical slogan to anyone who has more than 2 brain cells firing simultaneously.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 1:24 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

A) Not everything is a liberal conspiracy. Take off the tin foil hat once in a while.

B) What's wrong with what Bill Keller said? It is an absolutely cynical slogan to anyone who has more than 2 brain cells firing simultaneously.

If you read the article you'd find a more cynical slogan.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 1:29 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

It's from an opinion piece and I don't give a s**t about ORLY's opinion.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 1:33 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

It's from an opinion piece and I don't give a sh** about ORLY's opinion.

Facts are often used to form opinions.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 1:36 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

It's from an opinion piece and I don't give a sh** about ORLY's opinion.

Facts are often used to form opinions.

It's an opinion show, not meant to be representative of Fox's "Fair and Balanced" programming...which is why it's an absolutely cynical slogan: because it is absolutely not "fair and balanced" and most people are morons like you who don't get the difference between opinion pieces and legitimate news and facts.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 1:39 pm

Media Matters would not exist without Fox, and Fox reaps great benefits from having such a perfect (it's even actually Soros backed!) bogeyman literally "declaring war" on them to point to when they claim the liberals are out to get them. It almost makes me wonder if Soros has some Newscorp stock squirreled away somewhere, or if Rupert Murdoch quietly funnels money to MMFA... Is that too cynical of me? :D

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 1:45 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Media Matters would not exist without Fox, and Fox reaps great benefits from having such a perfect (it's even actually Soros backed!) bogeyman literally "declaring war" on them to point to when they claim the liberals are out to get them. It almost makes me wonder if Soros has some Newscorp stock squirreled away somewhere, or if Rupert Murdoch quietly funnels money to MMFA... Is that too cynical of me? :D

It wouldn't surprise me. In a class war, keeping the underclasses not only ignorant but violently ignorant is a good thing. Seeing legitimate information like Media Matters could seriously hurt the class war and empower the citizens again rather than the aristocrats.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 1:46 pm

Dox47 wrote:

Why would Murdoch waste the money when Mediamatters is already going loco at no cost to him. :lol:

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 2:11 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

Why would Murdoch waste the money when Mediamatters is already going loco at no cost to him. :lol:
ROFL

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 2:19 pm

skafather84 wrote:
visagrunt wrote:
Ah, but Inuyasha, do you not see that wikipedia is on precisely the same level as your beloved commentators?

Anyone can edit wikipedia. That means there are far more people correcting algorithms and are ready to squish any attempts to post made up stuff without sources or use sources from dubious places.

Only Glenn Beck can "edit" his stuff before releasing them.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 2:24 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
visagrunt wrote:
Ah, but Inuyasha, do you not see that wikipedia is on precisely the same level as your beloved commentators?

Anyone can edit wikipedia. That means there are far more people correcting algorithms and are ready to squish any attempts to post made up stuff without sources or use sources from dubious places.

Only Glenn Beck can "edit" his stuff before releasing them.

Back in the young days of Wikipedia, I was a bored teenager, and used to love editing articles in creative ways that would mislead people but look like factual, accurate information. Nowadays it is hard to do this, but I am still hoping somebody out there actually believes some of the s**t I edited, Lesson? Check the sources at the bottom of the page, anything not cited could have been put there by a bored teenager out to confuse you :wink:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 2:45 pm

Inuyasha wrote:

If there was no Media Matters, it would be in his interest to create one; it's possibly the best form of advertising if you're going after an ideological market. The only people who are going to take Media Matters seriously are people who are already inclined to hate Fox and the conservative viewpoint in general, it doesn't hurt Fox one bit. On the other hand, Fox benefits greatly when it's attacked by liberal groups, if reinforces the conservative narrative of a hostile liberal media trying to silence their voices and further entrenches their viewer's loyalty to the network.

Think of it this way; when it comes to politics, a negative endorsement can be more valuable than a positive one. Depending upon the target, a denouncement by Olberman may be better than an endorsement by Limbaugh.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 6:27 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

If there was no Media Matters, it would be in his interest to create one; it's possibly the best form of advertising if you're going after an ideological market. The only people who are going to take Media Matters seriously are people who are already inclined to hate Fox and the conservative viewpoint in general, it doesn't hurt Fox one bit. On the other hand, Fox benefits greatly when it's attacked by liberal groups, if reinforces the conservative narrative of a hostile liberal media trying to silence their voices and further entrenches their viewer's loyalty to the network.

Think of it this way; when it comes to politics, a negative endorsement can be more valuable than a positive one. Depending upon the target, a denouncement by Olberman may be better than an endorsement by Limbaugh.

Essentially the opposite phenomenon of "damning with faint praise." We need an idiom to express this notion. Any ideas?