Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 12:17 am

tylerfahey1997 wrote:
Hello. My IQ is 75 and I've been confirmed as borderline intellectually empaired. I want to say a few things. Everything and everyone with these different levels of functioning have different skill levels and cognitive levels. Don't put the same group of people in one category because not everyone is the same.

I graduated high school. I was in special education and they helped me through. My mom had a hard time coming to terms with my conditions and had unrealistic academic expectations of me. I finished a gpa of about 2.9. Now, I'm accepted into a community college. I've made the deans list two times, joined an honors fraternity for 2 year students, did a honors project with a professor and in the progress of getting an Associates of arts and transferring.

Now, not everyone is going to be able to do this with borderline functioning. Some are going to have to work part time and live at home. That would be reasonable for them. Others it could be different like me. You'll likely qualify for state assistance for social services and career services like vocational rehabilitation. In high schoo towards your senior year your school should likely refer a special education student with IEP or 504 to that. I'm now getting services after being on a waitlist for 2 years because my state cut funding to a lot of these programs and privatized everything which has had a lot of blow back.

I'm going to be doing some internships for the US federal government through Schedule A hiring when they contact me. Schedule A hiring is for people with any disability and at any level of functioning. You could be a library shelver at the library of congress or a policy crafter at the White House. You could even be a cook in the military or a lawyer in the defense department. you'll likely get fantastic benefits and a retirement pension guarrenteed. You'll get accamodations for your condition if you can prove it through documentation.

The federal government even holds public and college job fairs for people with disabilities and have recruiters for us. You can work for NASA in jobs you have qualifications for or you could work for the Nationa Park Sevice as a tour guide. Overall, there are a lot of options and there not all in Washington DC. You don't need a degree to get a job for the government but you will have to find a job your qualified for. I would like to work at the White House or the State Department because of I get to travel and be an advisor with aspie expertise to the politican. My fixation will be an asset.

Overall, not everyone is going to be a policy crafter or attorney with borderline mental retardation. But there are a lot of options for us. However, don't limit yourself because of your condition but you need to be realistic with your choices. Look up schedule A hiring of the USA.gov and you can find a lot more information online there.

Best wishes,
Ty

Just out of curiosity, what types of things do you struggle with, and what do you excel at?

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 8:07 am

IQ of 73 is borderline ret*d??? One time I read somewhere that Jesssica Simpson's IQ is 60 something heh.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 9:06 pm

Everyone has unlimited potential but different natural attentiveness to different things. Find what their natural attentiveness is and let them hone the skills that they are attentive to. None of it is inferior, just different; for example; janitors know the science and art of cleaning and can do a superb job and bring joy to a lot of the lives of the people they interact with... IQ tests don't measure everything.