rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 2:30 pm

DarrylZero wrote:
rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
DarrylZero wrote:
That gave me flashbacks of my counterpoint assignments in school. :pale:

I believe running joke was: every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.

Every time you write parallel fifths...

LOL! I've never heard that one before. I'd hate to see what he'd do if you wrote a parallel octave! 8O

What I think is really funny is if you analyze Bach's compositions you'll find that he did use parallel fifths and octaves, albeit rarely.

Oh yes he did! Rules are arbitrary in art, and it's only a matter of time before they're anachronistic and only used for study purposes. I believe there was a time when it was considered a punishable offense to write in polyphony 8O

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 4:14 pm

rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
DarrylZero wrote:
rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
DarrylZero wrote:

I believe running joke was: every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.

LOL! I've never heard that one before. I'd hate to see what he'd do if you wrote a parallel octave! 8O

What I think is really funny is if you analyze Bach's compositions you'll find that he did use parallel fifths and octaves, albeit rarely.

Oh yes he did! Rules are arbitrary in art, and it's only a matter of time before they're anachronistic and only used for study purposes. I believe there was a time when it was considered a punishable offense to write in polyphony 8O

Or the tritone...diabola en musica... :twisted:

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 6:47 pm

Not huge on it, however I mainly enjoy some chamber music and more generally I enjoy the Russians Tchaikovsky in particular but also Borodin and Prokofiev, not all their works though. English chamber music also floats my boat Ireland, Elgar, Bliss and Delius

My favourites at the moment would probably be the two Borodin quartets, Bliss' quartets, Delius' 'over the hills and far away' and Tcaikovskys piano trio and second quartet.

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 10:02 pm

DarrylZero wrote:
rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
DarrylZero wrote:
rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
DarrylZero wrote:

Or the tritone...diabola en musica... :twisted:

That was one of the questions on my grad school entrance exam. lol

proxybear
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 May 2011, 10:56 pm

I love classical music, but sometimes I am not sure what is classical music and what isn't. I know the definition, yet I would like to call similar sounding music from the later era (but close by) "Classical".

"Classical music, strictly defined, means music produced in the western world between 1750 and 1820. This music included opera, chamber music, choral pieces, and music requiring a full orchestra. To most, however, classical music refers to all of the above types of music within most time periods before the 20th century."

The real definition is music from the period 1750-1820, but still we tend to use the word "Classical" for a lot of pieces of music in later periods.

JSNS
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Nov 2011, 11:38 am

I love classical music!

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 1:52 pm

I'm kind of excited I found this thread, I've been getting extremely into classical music over the past few years! My favorite composer by far is Mahler, but I also love Beethoven, Schubert, R. Strauss, and Monteverdi to name a few. I wouldn't say I really have a favorite sub-genre per say, but really good piano concertos or choral+orchestral works get me every time! As for favorite pieces, I have so many that its hard to decide haha, but heres a couple that really stand out in my mind! Mahler's 3rd/9th/2nd symphonies (His second is my favorite piece of music ever!) and Ruckert-Lieder, Strauss's Last 4 Songs, Beethoven's Piano Sonatas 29/31, String Quartet 15, and 9th symphony (obviously), Schubert's Piano Sonada D960, Bach's Partita for Violin No. 2, and Brahm's Ein Deutsches Requiem. As for my favorite performances, well I say you can't usually go wrong with anything conducted by Claudio Abbado! I don't really play any instruments...I can play the piano but I'm not really good enough or dedicated to practicing enough to say I "play" it haha.

mindset_2_0
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Jan 2012, 4:07 pm

Hello,

I am counting me in, because I understand your all "language" ;-)

Jean-Baptiste Lully (Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme - nice chant! ...)
Henry Purcell (The Fairy Queen, Funeral Music for Queen Mary - a work to die for ;-) ...)
Johann Sebastian Bach (! !!FAVOURITE!! !, art of fugue, english suites, french suites, harpsichord concertos, organ works, unaccompanyied cello suites ...)
Domenico Scarlatti (yes, I know ALL 555 pieces!! -> was my obsession for some weeks)
Georg Friedrich Handel (Concerti a due cori, Concerti grossi ...)
Frédéric Chopin (piano sonatas ...)
Johannes Brahms (especially his symphonies ...)
Modest Petrowitsch Mussorgski (pictures at an exhibition ...)
Pjotr Iljitsch Tschaikowski (symphonies, piano concertos ...)
Antonín Dvořák (9. symphony ...)
Ludwig van Beethoven (symphonies, piano sonatas, string quartets ...)
Leoš Janáček (violin sonata (!) ...)
Gustav Mahler (all of his symphonies of course ;-) ...)

...and many many more...

I noticed that I like everything written as counterpoint style composition. Have you ever tried Ludwig van Beethoven's op. 133 ? Does anyone has something similarly bombastic to offer?

See you.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2012, 5:32 pm

I love classical, romantic and baroque music. My favorite composer is Mozart, followed by (not necessarily in that order) Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Bach, Vivaldi, Chopin, Wagner, Haydn, Albinoni, Liszt, Grieg, Rimsky-Korsakov, Verdi, Rossini, Saint-Saëns and too many to count here.

The best piece is probably Mozart's Requiem, followed by Die Zauberflöte (specifically, Der Hölle Rache), Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 (specifically, An Die Freude) and Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture.

Tripodologia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2017, 6:20 am

I love classical music too, ever since I was a child. One of my first experiences getting obsessed with a classical music piece happened when I was about 6, the Requiem Mass in D minor by Mozart, and a bit later on Carmina Burana by Carl Orff. I find classical music can bring raw emotions from within me, in a way that not many other things can.

My favourite composers are probably Chopin and Rachmaninoff too (I see many of you out there!). That being said, some of Bach's things are obsession-inducing too. I absolutely love the Cello suite no. 2 in D minor (prelude). I just cannot get enough of it.

There is this one radio channel from Spain (rne clasica http://www.rtve.es/radio/radioclasica/ in Spanish, sorry) where I've been able to learn about other composers that I didn't know (for instance, Antonio Jose https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRVi0KjHI0E).

I also quite like contemporary composers like Max Richter and Nils Frahm (his winter music... ah!).

Happy to have found this thread :)

-

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 139 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 67 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Tripodologia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2017, 6:24 am

Magnus_Rex wrote:
Saint-Saëns and too many to count here.

Saint-Saëns' Le carnaval des animaux, and Danse macabre are really something else, so perfectly intense.

-

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 139 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 67 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Apr 2017, 7:08 pm

I'll begin with a WP Post on interests in non-Classical music (LINK). If we listen carefully enough, we may note that some popular music over the last few decades might just contain Classical-music roots! Hence, some of the music we view as "non-classical" might just have those Classical roots!

What Non-Classical Music Do You Like?
LINK: viewtopic.php?t=7038

RELATED:

Anybody familiar with the 'Mozart Effect?'

Listening to selected Mozart Music may yield short-term improvements on the performance of certain
kinds of tasks e.g., spatial-temporal reasoning.

LINK: "Mozart Effect" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozart_effect

I relate to classical-music playing in the background; as the music can yield that mix of both calming, upbeat, and thoughtful sensations, which is sometimes helpful towards tasks requiring concentration.

To this day, I still enjoy watching, and further learning from those PBS shows on the arts and sciences; complete with classical music playing in the background, and narrators with English accents.