Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 2:32 pm

Personally i think concentrating on immigrants in the way that the Right wing press does distract's people from the real reason for the dysfunctional economy and the real reasons for poverty and inequality. They have even demonised welfare claimants in so that they can make savings by cutting benefits rather than say raising taxes on banking transactions or bankers bonuses. Sick people aren't to blame for credit crunch . I also don't see the merits of cutting legal migration( camerons policy) as an issue in it's own self.

cdfox7
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 2:34 pm

chinatown wrote:
I'm sad it has come to this. I'm not surprised, nor worried, really. To everything there is a season.

At some point, people living in welfare states become so accustomed to being provided for they start thinking the government should do everything for them. When it doesn't (it couldn't possibly), they need to blame someone, and right now the easiest victims just happen to be immigrants and third-world citizens.

I don't know what comes next. If Finland becomes another North Korea and I make it out in time, I wouldn't mind patrolling the border with a sniper rifle to make sure none of those dimwits (not talking about you, Tequila :D) who made it what it is make it out alive.

edit: ^ I agree that it's partly the recession, but I think it's also a general lack of dignity. People have just gotten too lazy to think ahead.

Some of Finland's best footballers played for my team Liverpool so I love the Finns. Also I know of Simo Häyhä aka valkoinen kuolema so there's no way I'm pissing off a Finn with a gun :wink:

chinatown
Toucan
Toucan

18 Apr 2011, 2:59 pm

cdfox7 wrote:
Also I know of Simo Häyhä aka valkoinen kuolema so there's no way I'm pissing off a Finn with a gun :wink:

The white death :lol:

Tequila wrote:
I don't know where you get that from. The likes of the True Finns and UKIP are nothing like the BNP; they are not scapegoating immigrants. That accusation could be more sensibly applied to 'euronationalist' parties like the BNP, Front National, NPD, et al. They just want to have the ability to control their own borders like every other non-EU country and be able to turn away illegal immigrants. Nothing wrong with that.

The True Finns are somewhat anti-EU, but that has rarely been brought up. People talk mostly about immigrants and so-called refugees mooching off hard-working Finns.

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 4:26 pm

Finland had a referendum on joining the EU in 1994. The majority were in favour. They were asked and they answered yes.

I don't know why people get in a tizz over the democracy of the EU. It's not perfect, but it's far more democratic than people think. Yes the Commission are appointed, not elected, but they are appointed by those we have elected. They can only put forward proposals for law. No law comes into force without the approval of the European Parliament, directly elected, and the Council of Ministers, indirectly elected.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 4:30 pm

MotherKnowsBest wrote:
Finland had a referendum on joining the EU in 1994. The majority were in favour. They were asked and they answered yes.

Perhaps they don't like what it turned into. We in Britain had a referendum on joining the Common Market in 1975, two years after Britain had already signed up to it and therefore was the 'status quo'. Most people at the time never would have believed how the Common Market would have morphed into the EEC and, finally, into the undemocratic behemoth that is the EU.

I would love to see a referendum on EU membership here in the UK, or on the Lisbon Treaty, or on any number of EU decisions. What are the EU elites so scared of? That we'll vote 'no' is what they're scared of.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 4:33 pm

It's quite revealing how the EFTA nations (+ Switzerland) are grimly determined to hold onto their independence and democracy, isn't it? I wonder why. :)