Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 7:54 pm

http://www.thehealthage.com/guide-on-di ... rome/0402/

It is clearly stating Asperger's Syndrome as a psychiatric disorder. I thought it fell under developmental still or am I wrong? I know my form AS is actually a bit developmental... so that's why I was curious.

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

ci
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 8:44 pm

Psychiatrically / psychologically diagnosable but properly diagnosed with developmental history and a battery of testing. With proper developmental history including speech delay it is more so considered developmental in origin but of course with psychological factors. Individuals with autism may also suffer from other psychiatric conditions as a result of an ASD with the inability to function within normalcy such as depression.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 8:44 pm

iheartmegahitt wrote:
http://www.thehealthage.com/guide-on-disorder-of-asperger-syndrome/0402/

It is clearly stating Asperger's Syndrome as a psychiatric disorder. I thought it fell under developmental still or am I wrong? I know my form AS is actually a bit developmental... so that's why I was curious.

well its not a physical disorder so that leaves psychological.

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 9:00 pm

Oh... I was just wondering since when NTs define Psychological, it means something that is in your head... like literally. I guess if you think about it though, it does make sense because it does deal with the brain and how our brains are wired but I guess I just never liked those words because of the way NTs word things like that.

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 9:13 pm

iheartmegahitt wrote:
Oh... I was just wondering since when NTs define Psychological, it means something that is in your head... like literally. I guess if you think about it though, it does make sense because it does deal with the brain and how our brains are wired but I guess I just never liked those words because of the way NTs word things like that.

Well I guess I don't have an issue with that wording, I find it better when they try and claim people like me are perefectly normal and do not have any difficulties with functioning becuase of the different brain wiring or whatever.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

02 Jun 2011, 9:26 pm

Well, if the technical name for Asperger's is Asperger's Disorder, and the diagnostic criteria come straight from the DSM-IV-TR (which is published by the American Psychiatric Association), then I'm sure it's safe to say that Asperger's is a psychiatric disorder.

Tao
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jun 2011, 12:24 pm

It's not as simple as saying it's either physical or psychological. I think that correctly described, one would have to say it's a neurobiological divergence from the norm. And as for what the American Psychiatric Association calls it, remember they were still classing homosexuality as a psychiatric disorder as recently as the late 1960s...

pianorak
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Aug 2011, 4:53 am

Tao is right. The quoted article is rubbish from start to finish. We have a biologically different brain, which causes us to think differently. The trouble with present day spychiatrists is they don't bother to ask us what we're thinking but just observe our behaviour. You might as well try to work out why your radio has stopped working by looking at the switches!