Trip-Hop, Drum & Bass and related genres

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

newchum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2006, 6:38 am

Are there any likers of electronic music like Trip-Hop and Drum and Bass on here. I have listened to it, it is good, not exactly my everyday listening.

If so what sort of scenes and DJ's who enjoying listening to much more than others?

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2006, 6:43 am

I have recently discovered Drum N Bass. I like the artist "Aquasky" and his album "Bodyshock". Its Drum N Bass with no words in it that I like. None of that "MC" rapping in it (unless they can actually rap along with the tune.) Its good the fast tempo beats and repeating sampled tunes and bassline. I recommend Aquasky to you unless you've heard of him?

I like Electronica as well. Thats class, my favourites are Propellerheads The Prodigy, and Leftfield. All old artists. And Faithless (If they count.)

I love Dance music and would go into nightclubs if it wasnt for my hyper - sensitive ears.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2006, 7:55 am

Yeah, trip-hop and electronica are my favourite genre of music. I got into it myself about 5 years ago.

My favourite electronica band right now is lamb. If you like both trip-hop AND drum & bass, then you should check them out as their style is a hybrid of the two genres, with a bit of jazz mixed in. Their earlier stuff leans more towards drum & bass, whereas their later stuff tends towards downbeat triphop.

Other favourites of mine include Portishead & Massive Attack (although their most recent work is crap), Air (I didn't like their Moon Safari album much though, which was the most popular), Tricky, Zero 7, Esthero and Goldfrapp (her first album). All have very different styles so depending on what you're looking for they probably won't all fit your tastes.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2006, 12:11 pm

I find it difficult to categorize, beyond a certain point-trance, techno, electronica, house, etc.
Particularly fond of The Underworld (inconsistent quality:some amazing songs that I play over & over, some lame dull derivative piffle) and Fluke (only know 1 album, Risotto, but I like much of it). Crystal Method & Chemical Brothers, I've an album by each & quite like most of the tracks. Also, the theme to tv show "3rd Watch" (Crystal Method). Not sure which other artists qualify as this genre. What I've heard from Boards of Canada, Thievery Corporation, and DJ Shadow have been more spiffy than not.
I've been into "space-y" music beginning with listening to NPR's "Music from the hearts of space" show, as a kid. From there, I found other hypnotic, atmospheric styles of music. They played Vangelis (some of his film scores, i.e. "Blade Runner"), David Parsons (N.Z.), A Positive Life, Dead Can Dance, and Steve Reich. Later I encountered work by Brian Eno, Phillip Glass, the Orb, Delerium, Transglobal Underground and so on.
I enjoy zone-out music filling my environment at home, esp. when it masks annoying noises from outside. Gives me some consistency & control over my sensory conditions, nifty music provides me with sense of well-being.

nukleuz
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Aug 2006, 12:40 pm

I was in to trip-hop for a while. There is a stream called Monkey Radio that I listened to with winamp. Some of my favorite artists are:

Amon Tobin
Cinematic Orchestra
DJ Cam
DJ Shadow
Fila Brazillia
Kid Loco
Kruder & Dormeister
Nightmares on Wax
Supreme Beings of Leisure
The Herbaliser
Thievery Corporation
Visit Venus

and pretty much anything on the Ninja Tune record label.

Here is a link to the Monkey Radio stream: http://207.200.96.226:8038/listen.pls

psybot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Nov 2006, 4:26 am

Jonny L (aka Mr L)
Klute
Equinox

I like some of Breakage's work although his recent album I don't like. Definately check out the track Breakage - The 9th Hand.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2006, 9:40 am

I think you guys know all about my tastes (if not my name probably spells it out well) - probably 70 or 80% of what I've listened to since 1998 has been d&b, starting to break off more and more into hip-hop and reopen myself to some of the stuff I liked as a kid but I still prowl the drum & bass arena tracklistings section for good sets like I have been for years.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2006, 11:02 am

Would that be Austin Powers meets Rap music?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2006, 3:51 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Would that be Austin Powers meets Rap music?

If you mean trip-hop think of Tricky and Massive Attack - really narcotized, moody, dark side of soul UK stuff a lot of times. The lyrics vary, sometimes it is a guy like Tricky, sometimes its someone like Dido or Sarah McLaughlin singing over it. I think a lot of what Faithless does counts that way too. I've also heard a lot of people call the sort of 'Big Beat' electronica trip-hop, maybe its also defined as the more acid edge of that stuff, hard to say...

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2006, 6:40 am

Oh, I love lamb, chemical brothers have some amazing tracks, aphex twin, kid 606, bjork has some amazing electronically driven albums, massive attack and tricky are awesome too.

Check this out if you feel like (you'll have to register but it only takes a second):

http://download.yousendit.com/2958500654E01BCD

This is called Aggrea, from an album called Cognitive Dissonance.

I guess its experimental/breakbeat/electronica Though it has a kinda rough edge to it that I really like, attempting to combine that lusciousness with the mechanical side.

Anyway, let me know what you think..

Jamie06
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2006, 7:09 pm

I don't mind D+B and my favourite music is techno/trance/house, all sorts of electronica.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2006, 12:31 am

Truth be told, while theres many different sub-genres of d&b it seems like there's 2 listening groups: the guys/girls who like stuff like Aphex Twin, Square Pusher, Lamb and that sort of artcore stuff and then there's the group who listen to the more purist scene-related jungle/d&b like Dieselboy (yeah and Dara and AK1200), Phantom 45, on the UK side of things Grooverider, Dillinja, Brockie, Raiden, Noisia - I kinda tend more toward the UK myself but most of the stuff I'm really feeling most of the time is either on the Metalheadz, Renegade Hardware, or Innerground (Spirit's label).

Guys like Loxy, Skitty, Ink, Spirit, here and there B Key or Unknown Error will drop something a really like, used to like Tech Itch but he went away from the dark side of jazz and sci-fi heavy and went to that whole Barcode sort of end - him, Evol Intent, Exile, Limewax, and Current Value (lol, another guy who just came back from a long vacation) are good but I just take that stuff in doses because while I do like that kind of d&b to the point the head-banger pseudo death-metalish stuff really doesn't carry with it what pulled me in to the scene in the first place. As for what that was back in 1998 when I first got into jungle, there's a semi-national dj named Dj 3D from Chicago - some of his mixes like So Damn Tuff, Rollers Technique, and Live @ The Next Level were the strait up s--- IMO. That stuff, it was as dark as what Tech Itch and these guys are doing right now is but from a different angle - it felt like the energy was comming more from the darker moodier side of jazz and hip hop, heavy doses of sci-fi at times, similarly illed out sounds but much different trajectory and attitude and the grime was even harder in a lot of the basslines but it was reticent and make-ya-think type stuff but it sounded nothing like music from a bunch of disenfranchised metalheads. Some of my favorite records back then were from guys like Ed Rush, Optical, Dillinja, Trace, Nico, Fierce, Boymerang, Lemon D, Bad Company UK, RAM Trilogy, John B, Dj SS, Ganja Kru, Source Direct, J Majik, Johnny L, Ray Keith, and this is when Roni Size just had jazz elements rather than doing purely jazz d&b yet. Also yeah, back then Aphrodite was the s--- in terms of jump up, I was really feeling a lot of stuff by Prisoners of Technology as well, and there was also a pretty good Philly dj named J Smooth who spun hip-hop jungle: Soul and On the Block Hustlin are both awesome mixes.

As for the newer producers right now, I'd have to tout again: Loxy, Spirit, Ink, Blame is good, Gremlinz are sick, Aspect, Skitty, someone said Equinox and I agree on his stuff, also Tactile is another name to definitely look out for. Unknown Error - has his tracks and moments, Commix and Beta 2 both have some pretty interesting stuff on the deeper and more mellow side, Digital has come back - GG's is a pretty sick track and I hope he can dish out more of that. Dee-Kay and Lee can dish out some good stuff as well, definitely worth keeping an eye on. Also a couple other guys who are kinda on the grimier side but flirt with the elements that I used to really like back in 98' are D-Star and Mason, those 2 put together with Trust do a 3 dj tagteam they call Swarm - I've got a really off-the-hook mix of them from Therapy Sessions in Philadelphia last year with MC Armanni Reign (who reminds me a heck of a lot of TC Izlam - both real good MCs, they and maybe 2 or 3 other MC's I can think of from the UK like Eksman and Skibadee actually *add* something to a mix rather than destroying it). When it comes to the whole Raiden and Offkey angle, I like some of Raiden's mixes but I think on his label the guys who tend to impress me the most are Prode - they 4 Russians who come up with this real lysergic d&b that almost sounds like acid techno to a d&b beat (real good examples - look up Vodkabyte ore El Nino, they sound basic but if you heard that after smoking a bowl holy s---, it grabs at ya). So do I like LTJ Bukem? Took me a second to really get around to it but yeah, definitely like how he takes that smooth and jazzy stuff and runs those sort of flanged out horn or white noise effects shinging over the high-hats, sick combination - though I really cant decide whether I'd rather see him with Conrad or Cleveland Watkiss.

Heh, I almost promised myself that I wouldn't even go as far as to type all that just because, most of the time I just feel like I'm speaking my own language. Oh well, I gave in to my own compulsions and said my peace :).

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2006, 12:43 am

Whoah... I got lots to check out! hehe

That track I posted above is more along the lines of aphex/squarepusher etc..

But I do feel it has a niche of if its own, hard to explain though.

Check it out if you like.

ion
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Nov 2006, 8:16 am

The only genres I like as a whole are breakbeat, jazz, EBM and classical music.
Other than that it varies from song to song.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2006, 7:27 pm

Scintillate wrote:
Whoah... I got lots to check out! hehe

That track I posted above is more along the lines of aphex/squarepusher etc..

But I do feel it has a niche of if its own, hard to explain though.

Check it out if you like.

Well, if you want any sets by Skitty, Loxy, or Spirit, maybe some Metalheadz stuff or even some of that older 1997-1998 Dj 3D and such just shoot me a message I'll see what I can do.

(edit: something else too, not to get heady or anything, but I took a listen to that track you posted and I think I've got a few Metalheadz tracks where if you heard em you might totally throw that aside)

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2006, 11:37 pm

Well it (aggrea) is only a demo, I do still dig it though.

My complete stuff is different.

But yeh, I know its different to most electronic stuff, many think in a lesser way, I think in a positive way. Though I've had some wonderful critiques too..

My first album is called Atonal, is much more... dance-able then that song you've heard, but also much more... sliced up, with more ambience between tracks.

I've got about 8 reviews of my first album (Aggrea isn't on the first one, its a later unfinished demo) and nothing really negative yet, though I'd like some criticism too.

I guess hearing my whole albums is better than single songs, cause it doesn't really work like normal electronic stuff, meaning usually based on album progression, or dynamics between the songs, or a weird style of production etc.

I generally listen to organic (recorded) music, and mix electronic, most the time, but I am into hearing other stuff.