No, they are confusing and make anxious 23%  23%  [ 10 ]
No, other 37%  37%  [ 16 ]
They're OK 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Yes, I do 14%  14%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 43

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

11 Jun 2011, 10:19 am

thewrll wrote:
Dodgeball is the greatest game ever.

That, or a watergun fight on a 95-degree day. I have yet to try playing paintball, but I want to.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 10:25 am

I don't like playing sports because, A, they require coordination, and B, they require working with others. And A adds to B being problematic. Like, I'm the weak link on the team.

I like physically active things that don't require coordination. Dancing (free-form response to music, not doing any specific dances). Walking/running. Swimming, except getting ready to swim and getting to a swimming pool is too much effort.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 10:28 am

I thought it was my duty back then but I used to always protect the girls with my hands. Though I never knew why they were so weak. Meaning so damn scared of dodgeballs.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 10:48 am

I just cannot do sports. If I could, I probably wouldn't even mind the competition too much (and that's not saying if I was better than anyone else, just if I could play adequately).

TTRSage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jun 2011, 11:12 am

I hate sports because people get too serious about them as the be all, end all of their existence. In addition, the types of people who get into sports are typically the same types who ooze with all kinds of hate, cynicism and negative attitudes towards other people. Few things in this world irritate me more than this unless it should be the malicious head games that people play. I used to play golf during my early to mid teens (at my dad's insistence... he was a real golf fanatic) and liked that but have not touched golf club since I was about 16 or 17. I used to like to watch baseball on TV from time to time, but have not done so in about 5 years now. I would rather spend my time doing other things. Life is too short for competition as opposed to cooperation.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 11:40 am

SyphonFilter wrote:
thewrll wrote:

That, or a watergun fight on a 95-degree day. I have yet to try playing paintball, but I want to.

I'm horrible at dodgeball.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 1:35 pm

Watching sports on TV with the sound off can be quite pleasing, particularly boxing, wrestling, or UFC fighting. Straight women and gay men will know what I'm talking about. But overall, yeah, sports interest me about as much as reality TV.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 3:42 pm

ocdgirl123 wrote:
SyphonFilter wrote:
thewrll wrote:

I'm horrible at dodgeball.

Me too. But, probably not as bad as Dexter is in that ominous cartoon episode...

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 4:08 pm

rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
ocdgirl123 wrote:
Most people with AS HATE sports, it seems like. They find the rules confusing, I don't find the rules confusing so much, I just hate competition. It makes me stressed and anxious. I also feel really bad about myself if am the goalie and get scored on, miss a shot or pass the ball/puck to someone who ends up not scoring. Sports make most people feel good about themselves, most people make new friends because of sports.

Anyone else like me?
It depends on the type of sport. I believe that the aspie mentality is perfect for endurance sports because they require a strong will and alot of repetition and you only need to have rudimentary coordination. This also explains why I came across several people on WP who do endurance sports. There are definitely alot of runners here, and I met one guy here who is an olympic rower. I myself do collegiate cycling and I try to squeeze in a marathon and a triathlon every year. This year I'm doing the Chicago triathlon and the NYC marathon.

However, anything involving a good working memory, complex coordination, interpreting teammates' intentions, and the ability to think fast in noisy situations is probably not going to be very compatible with the typical aspie. At least in endurance sports there's not alot of immediate thinking that needs to happen.

I can identify with it. I like cycling the best, and I like swimming too. Somehow I don't like running, maybe because my physique is less than suitable for it.

When I participate in a competition, my first priority (besides safety) is to be among those who are "good", to show I'm not lame or something. I don't feel the urge to achieve more. Sometimes I participate in tours that require endurance, like the 500 km within approx. 28 hours bicycle tour.

In TV, I like to watch F-1 car racing or soccer, but I'm fine without them for long periods of time.

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 8:34 pm

I played sports growing up and it usually took me twice as long as everyone else to catch on. I played baseball but can only play infield because hanging out in the outfield I would become distracted too easily. I tried basketball but quit cause it felt like everyone was in my face. I enjoyed karate but don't think I could do another tournament. Even though I got a medal, I felt bad about punching someone I had no quarrel with. I still use it to for strengthening and balance. I snowboard too but have accepted that I don't have the coordination to hit the half pipe but who knows, I did see some 60 year olds do some awesome carving.

As for watching sports, I might watch a championship game now and then but their definitely not my first choice when I happen to watch TV which is rarely.

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 4:47 pm

I never liked doing any kind of team sport in school, mainly because I was never very good at anything. I was the slow runner, the kid who always got picked last, the one who tended to get hurt, and never able to catch anything (except for maybe a cold)

I've never had much of a desire to watch sports either. If I were to watch something, I would prefer something that is not too difficult to follow and devotes time to actually playing the game (unlike some sports, such as American football, where most of the time is spent in time-out, setting up plays, etc.). Soccer and basketball are easier to watch for that reason

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 8:15 pm

I love soccer and volleyball but suck at both. :P

OldFashioned
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 8:25 pm

How are Aspies supposed to loose weight and get that beach body...?

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 9:13 pm

OldFashioned wrote:
How are Aspies supposed to loose weight and get that beach body...?
30% less fat Lays Original flavoured potato chips! (Now with 30% less fat!)

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 12:17 am

ocdgirl123 wrote:
Most people with AS HATE sports, it seems like. They find the rules confusing, I don't find the rules confusing so much, I just hate competition. It makes me stressed and anxious. I also feel really bad about myself if am the goalie and get scored on, miss a shot or pass the ball/puck to someone who ends up not scoring. Sports make most people feel good about themselves, most people make new friends because of sports.

Anyone else like me?

Now: yes.
Before: no: I played baseball because I was forced to join little league to get me 'un-introverted.' After much fighting, I eventually put on the green uniform with the Denny's restaurant logo on the back. I guess it eventually suited me because I was alone in the outfield-- it suited me in that you are alone in the batters' box. It's non contact.

Call me simple, but I liked the challenge for some reason. I remember playing right field in a game, and a right handed batter hit a fast low line drive that I had fielded after two hops, and I made a play to throw him out. Due to the quickness of the time in that it reached my glove, and the fact that he was loafing because usually anything hit to the outfield is considered a "hit," and having a "great arm" as was the reputation, I almost threw him out. I remember the manager, cupping his hands, and shouting my name. I recall the high of accomplishment.

When getting older, I won't engage someone in anything to 'up' em. If I play a game of cards it is against the computer. In my mind the other is first. I don't want the other party to possibly feel bad.

Last edited by Mdyar on 17 Jun 2011, 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 1:16 am

I enjoy watching and playing sports.