Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

anewman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jun 2011, 7:45 am

Mysty wrote:
Despite what so many people here seem to believe, autism and Asperger's are not strictly genetic, and therefore there will never be a genetic test for them. Genes are a factor, yes. But not the only one.

Because the genetics are not yet understood at this time, does not mean they are not implicated. It is clearly hereditary, which strongly implicates genetics. With it being a spectrum condition, I am sure any underlying genetic implications would in themselves be complex. In time it is highly likely there will be a test of some sort.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 7:52 am

Quote:
She added: ‘We will carry any child over five years old as an unaccompanied minor provided they can go to the toilet unassisted, feed themselves, and behave in a socially acceptable manner.

This is a fair enough policy. An alternative would be to have a medical cert saying the passenger was ok to fly.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 12:04 pm

anewman wrote:
Mysty wrote:
Despite what so many people here seem to believe, autism and Asperger's are not strictly genetic, and therefore there will never be a genetic test for them. Genes are a factor, yes. But not the only one.

Because the genetics are not yet understood at this time, does not mean they are not implicated. It is clearly hereditary, which strongly implicates genetics. With it being a spectrum condition, I am sure any underlying genetic implications would in themselves be complex. In time it is highly likely there will be a test of some sort.

"A test of some sort" is not a test for autism. There will never be a test for autism. That's pretty clear already. The very studies that show a genetic connection make that clear. Quite simply, the genetic connection is not strong enough. Being able to test for a whole lot of different genes that are associated with a higher incidence of autism is not at all the same as testing for autism. There will never be a genetic test for autism because autism is not genetic. Genes are a factor, but it's still not genetic.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 12:20 pm

Lene wrote:
Quote:
She added: ‘We will carry any child over five years old as an unaccompanied minor provided they can go to the toilet unassisted, feed themselves, and behave in a socially acceptable manner.

This is a fair enough policy. An alternative would be to have a medical cert saying the passenger was ok to fly.

define socially acceptable behavior please,

this could mean anything and as such is no better than judging on an idividual basis.

the other two do make sense.

(edit) even many of the genetic tests today may be found very inaccurate once we understand none coding dna and it's role in the human genome, before that genetics is nothing more than a fingerprint with some statistical relations.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 12:38 pm

Oodain wrote:
Lene wrote:
Quote:

define socially acceptable behavior please,

It's not my definition to make. The airline is the one that sets its policy. I would imagine it encompasses things like not yelling or throwing tantrums or other activities that get people normally kicked off aeroplanes.

Actually. Bloodheart recently said she once worked at BA; she may know more about the guidelines if you're interested.http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp3781052.html&highlight=#3781052

mizzfamousone
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jul 2011, 9:46 pm

because of down syndrome she can't be independent to ride a lone shame on them

nonentity
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Jul 2011, 11:17 pm

murasaki_ahiru wrote:
Um there are tests you can get done to check if the baby will have it and this was available back in 1998/1999. If you got that done and found out your kid was gonna be DS you should have done the cruel but kind option by aborting it and you wouldn't be in the situation you are now in duh. Know this sounds bad but it's true. Read my disclaimer in my sig if you have a problem thanks.

Ignoring the obvious issues with this that other people have pointed out, anyone could have a child with Down's. I mean, I don't see a mention of her having been particularly at risk for having a child with Down's syndrome, and even if she was, there are plenty of at-risk mothers who give birth to children with no disabilities whatsoever. She had no real reason to assume her child would have Down's syndrome.

So, you're implying that every single pregnant mother should be forced to have an amniocentesis and thorough genetic testing to discover any potential disability, which would cost billions — so even ignoring how unethical it is to say everyone with a particular disability should be aborted, it's still a pretty ridiculous idea that could never be financially feasable and takes away a pregnant woman's bodily autonomy.

And besides all that, let's say she did have an amniocentesis, and it came out wrong. She gives birth to an otherwise perfectly healthy daughter with Down's, and then... what? It's suddenly okay for the airlines to discriminate, because she shouldn't have been born?

In other words, even if that argument wasn't offensive, it just doesn't make sense at all in regard to this topic. It's just inflammatory, and apparently deliberately, which, if you weren't aware, is what trolling is. Generally, trolling doesn't help you get along with others on the internet.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 4:10 am

If she was smart enough as her mother said then BA should get a damned grip.

nichiren

07 Aug 2011, 7:14 pm

Chronos wrote:
I understand the airline's concern, however Down's Syndrome causes varying degrees of cognitive and physical issues and different levels of functioning. I knew a man with Down's Syndrome who had the mind of a four year old, and I've known a girl with Down's Syndrome who emotionally and cognitively was no different than other teenagers her age. I think the airlines should really decide these matters on a case by case basis.

lokilost
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Aug 2011, 4:26 pm

murasaki_ahiru wrote:
Um there are tests you can get done to check if the baby will have it and this was available back in 1998/1999. If you got that done and found out your kid was gonna be DS you should have done the cruel but kind option by aborting it and you wouldn't be in the situation you are now in duh. Know this sounds bad but it's true. Read my disclaimer in my sig if you have a problem thanks.

The tests aren't always 100% effective. My cousin had tests done they came back negative, but her daughter has Downs. Her daughter learns a little slower, but is right on track for someone about two years younger than her.

I find your conclusion that fetuses that test positive for a disability ought to be aborted highly disturbing. What about when they have a test someday for Autism? I like being alive thank you. My life has had some pretty sucky portions to it, but I don't believe that means I shouldn't have had the chance to live. What of autistic individuals and other 'disabled' people that have contributed amazing things to society? The point to having a civilized society is that you don't have to kill those that can't preform their assigned purpose, allowing them to find and serve a purpose finding solutions to problems we sometimes didn't even really know we had.

I respect the fact that this is your opinion, but I can not remain silent about an 'opinion' that is essentially advocating for eugenics, even if that opinion is held in compassion.

I don't want a response here, I don't want you to defend your position to me, or explain your reasoning. I simply wish you would spend a moment to think about human individuality, and what gives a human it's value. No to people are alike, and no two people can contribute the same thing or fill the exact same roll, making each person one of the single most valuable things in existence.

Xerillius

23 Aug 2011, 7:02 pm

Mysty wrote:
anewman wrote:
Mysty wrote:

"A test of some sort" is not a test for autism. There will never be a test for autism. That's pretty clear already. The very studies that show a genetic connection make that clear. Quite simply, the genetic connection is not strong enough. Being able to test for a whole lot of different genes that are associated with a higher incidence of autism is not at all the same as testing for autism. There will never be a genetic test for autism because autism is not genetic. Genes are a factor, but it's still not genetic.

Unless you are a geneticist I really think you have no right to make bold claims to suggest that something clearly isn't genetic. At this current point in time we do not know everything there is to know about the human genome, as much as we would like to say we do, therefore it is quite possible that a few years down the road there could be a concrete link between genes and autism. Sure there may not be 1 gene in particular, but once we can completely understand the code we can then create an algorithm that takes known autistic gene segments and ties them together and searches like google to determine the likelihood of a child having it. With significant testing at that point you could feasibly ascertain the cause of it all.