Are Most Aspies Good With Babies/Kids or Not Like Them?

Page 6 of 8 [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Khandov
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Aug 2012, 10:44 am

I have no aversion against children, but when I had to watch over a 4-5 year old, I found it quite annoying. A matter of patience and consequence, I think. My mom is good in both.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 11:08 am

OMG, I LOVE little kids and babies...they're so adorable and interesting to me, and yes, they do sort of evoke a motherly/nurturing instinct in me. I even went thru a phase when I was about 11 where I wanted nothing more than to have a baby of my own. I think that special interest kinda freaked everyone out. Whoops.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

tantopat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2012, 11:12 am

I'm usually fine with children, but I tend not to know what to do with them. I can play with them once I'm used to them, but deep down I always feel a bit bewildered by them. I've always thought I'd make a much better aunt than a parent, as I'd probably be awful at looking after a child! ;^^

SteffiTheSmile
Toucan
Toucan

13 Aug 2012, 1:32 pm

Babies always cry when I'm even near them, toddlers always like me, but I cannot stand either of them.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 1:51 pm

I dont know what to do or say around small children and babys. its always very awkward so I avoid it.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 2:32 pm

chris5000 wrote:
I dont know what to do or say around small children and babys. its always very awkward so I avoid it.

Same here. I'm TERRIBLE with kids. They tend to enjoy joking around, and I just don't know how to properly deal with that, so I always end up looking like an old square (like Mr. Wilson from Dennis the Menace, or Squidward, even though I'm only 25)

zephyr555
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Aug 2012, 2:35 pm

I am brand new here. I'm NT, DH is an Aspsergian. We prefer the term Aspergian to define male AS to the more female term, Aspie. Dh loved our daughter from day one. Now that she is 10 and much like her daddy, they both spend time on MineCraft, a computer game. He is even building her a server so that she, her friends, and he can all play at the same time. He gets along well with all our daughters friends, several who are boys. They are very happy nerds. He wanted more children, but having dragged his feet until I was over 40 to marry, was lucky enough to get one. Dh is awkward around adults, especially ones he does not know, but gets along beautfully with kids. While he is very bright, he is emotionally young and so he relates. I took a gamble and signed him up at our elementary school (with his reluctant permission) to help out 6th graders with math. He did beautifully and may volunteer again this year.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 2:43 pm

I really don't like being around kids younger than around 7 years old. I just find them very annoying and I don't really know how to interact with them.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 3:24 pm

I am great with babies and toddlers. Most children treat me like a rockstar or celebrity because whenever I go out in public I have babies pointing at me smiling and toddlers running up to me, some even opening right up to me with their hopes and dreams. I think it's a combination of my emotional immaturity (I'm not afraid to act like a kid and can relate to them on their level), I refuse to talk down to them (many are smarter than adults) and my excellent long term memory. I remember well being a toddler and how tough it was. Screaming and crying was the only way to be listened to and I HATED being talked down to in a condescending tone like most adults do to children. I also tend to be very concrete and literal like a child. For example, I was in an elevator and a 3 year old was dressed up. A senior asked him if he was Superman to which the child replied with an annoyed look "No, I'm a BOY!" I was the only one who didn't laugh. Children also love my jokes and my sense of humour that seems lost on most adults.

Almost every adult I meet appreciates my ability with children and I've made a lot of (adult) allies based on that but I've heard a few complain behind my back that I make them very uncomfortable and at least one complained about me even though I would never do anything inappropriate. Oh well, I guess I'll be another boring adult then!

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 3:34 pm

I've always been told I'm excellent around kids, although I can't say I'm fond of them.

zephyr555
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Aug 2012, 3:38 pm

Just as you said GHF, dh relates to children as peers and never talks down to them. It's amazing how easily they warm up to him because of it.

Hiddencreations
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Aug 2012, 6:36 pm

I'm great with kids, hence why I want to be a teacher. I don't know why kids like me though. Maybe it's because I get on their level.

I do like babies. For some reason babies like to stare at me. I don't know why...

alecazam3567
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Aug 2012, 7:17 pm

I hate children and babies... I find them annoying.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 7:21 pm

I think in general most aspies aren't that maternal/paternal but that's just a generalization, there are many exceptions to this of course. All aspies are different. I work with children and I think I'm pretty good with them but I don't find myself that maternal. I want to have one or two kids in the future when I'm ready though.

JesseCat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Aug 2012, 2:35 am

I thought I disliked children and babies until my nephew was born.
He's so adorable I can't help but be happy around him :)
It turns out I am good with Kids. I just never had enough exposure to them.
Still don't want my own, however. Don't think I can handle that

Also dont mean to ruffle any feathers, but hate is a strong word for a helpless infant.
I am a bit saddened by how many people claim to "hate" children.
Hating a murderer or rapist is one thing, but a baby?
Come on.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 3:14 am

In my humble opinion, they are god's gift to the world.

A call out to those who love children to volunteer(part-time) or
maybe even get a job(part-time) to help in some capacity with Autistic children via research, school setting, baby sitting, etc.....

Help along with different perspectives is needed in the community.

TheSunAlsoRises