Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Jun 2011, 6:41 pm

I have an extremely hard-time finding a job due to physical disabilities. I have a rare low vision disorder where I'm extremely nearsighted & have some colorblindness; I'm close to legally blind & cant drive. I also have a tremor disorder where my hands shake when I'm doing something with fine motor-skills or nervous. I never had any desire at all to go to college because I struggled in most of my classes due to dyslexia, ADHD & my low vision that wasn't identified till my senior year of HS. I only have a high-school diploma.

I have worked before. 10months as a dish-washer at IHOP. I hated it.
25months doing floor-care at WalMart. I liked the job I was supposed to be doing but different managers kept giving me conflicting contradictory orders & we had a contract crew assisting us & shortly after I quit; the department was dissolved & contract crew took over full-time. I was averaging 55hours a week my last few months there because we were shorthanded
Last job was a custodian at a sporting-goods store. I didn't feel safe climbing ladders or handling the box-cutter at times because of my tremors & I tried getting treated but the 1st med made me feel like I was having a stroke & I was basically fired after being out 2 weeks. Said they would take me back if I reapplied but meds kept making me sick so I quit treatment after a few months.

Been looking for a job kinda like I had at WalMart. I've been putting in applications at hospitals, & other stores but it's impossible for me to even get an interview. Not sure what else I can do. Don't want to risk losing my disability & Medicare if I think the job won't work out. I am able to hold a job quite well & be a great worker if it's something I can psychically do fairly well but getting the job is the problem

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 6:48 pm

Have had about a dozen jobs (summers, while in school, etc) overall. 2 since college graduation. Had to leave both (one 3 months, one 7) to go to the hospital. Was approved for SSI this month and work is on the (very) back burner for a while.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 8:04 pm

With every single one of my formal jobs (e.g. with a boss and everything), I have had really horrid days, complete with meltdowns. As well, some people immediately got the sense that I was different/less social/awkward/weird/rude, leading to disclosure in every single one of these jobs as well.

One job turned out well (the employer actually hired me as I had AS), one turned out okay (no one liked me there but they thought I was good at the tasks/duties) and one was a disaster (I ended up quitting as I kept getting into fights with a supervisor who hated me).

The only job where I haven't had these issues would be the one that I am running myself: my speaking job. This is because it involves something I am passionate about and enjoy doing. No one criticises me for it...in fact, I like it because I get so much postive feedback from it. This is why I am aiming for a career in the autism field.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

mesona
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jun 2011, 8:08 pm

yes, but I think its because I am picky. I will only take a job I know I can handle or feeds my hobbies. Also google title one para and see why I cant find my job.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 10:18 am

I've had over 3 years of voluntary work in a charity shop, and I still can't handle speaking to customers very well (I was better 3 years ago than I am now!), so I just can't have that knack at that. People can train me up for customer service 'til they're blue in the face and they still won't get anywhere. So - retail is out of the question.

I lack so much confidence that I back away from offered jobs. And I've phoned up all the employment help services and can't get in, because evidentally I ''fall through the cracks''. And the rotton mean government are cutting most of the disability services, so there'd be even less chance of me finding help. And I NEED that extra help.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

27 Jun 2011, 12:49 pm

No one will hire me. 8O :? :oops: 8)